1988 Comanche Project

ITS SOA!!! I'm so excited! I still have to make some shock mounts and weld them on, then bleed the brakes. I added new shackles with the springs (see pics) and everything went together as easy as pie!

Another of the D44

The new perches went on perfect, and everything lines up.

Shackle angle is pretty good I think...especially with the longer shackles.

After pics!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a little flexing, and got that side shot Mitch wanted. Notice that it is doorless on one side. Soon to be doorless on both sides ;D

It doesnt look like the front is that high off the ground...but it was. I ripped my pants getting in. Notice also that there is no suspension action going on in the front. Thats all rear, with the stock shocks too! I'm having an issue with the drivers side e-brake cable maxing out. However, it does so when the passanger leaf becomes inverted. I need to get some bumpstops on this thing before I destroy my leaves and the e-brake cable. :D

• 4 weeks later...

This is where it was rubbing. Not anymore with the shorter UCA length.

Sorry for the crappy pics. They came from my phone.

Did both Dirty. Spacers are coming in a few days, then the tires go on.

Spacers came today. $160 shipped for 4.

These tires are so narrow, that the rears have less then 1" sticking out, and the fronts have about 1.5" sticking out. Modified stock flares will cover these.

In the rear, I only trimmed a little. I decided to run stock flares, so I didnt want to go past the holes. Plus the stuff I took off is more then enough to clear these tires.

And I cleaned, and painted the floors.

Well today was an interior day.

This is what it looked like when I got it...

And today...

Thats a subwoofer in the middle. It doubles as an arm rest. I didnt feel like making mounts for a center console, so the sub gets the job.

Now, I'm thinking of going on a June 9th trail run with my club. All I need to do is make a rear bumper, gas tank skid plate, get a spare tire, Autozone shocks, wire up a CB, make my bumpstops, and put front tow hooks on. Most of this stuff is easy......I'll be pricing steel tomorrow :D

I got one of the rear bumpstops mounted and tested today. It did what I want, exactly when I want. don't make fun of it...I know it looks like @$$, but it does what I need. :D

Yes, its made of plumbing pipe. The only force on it is verticle, so it should hold up. If it doesnt, then I will get better pipe. $12 for 10' of the stuff at Home Depot isnt too bad. Its 1/4" wall too.

Bumper is made. I just need to do some minor trimming, and painting.

The closest mout will be beefed up a little. That was the first one I made, and decided to do it differently the second time, and added that diagonal part.

And my new shocks and JKS bar pin eliminators.