1988 Comanche Project

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The closest mout will be beefed up a little. That was the first one I made, and decided to do it differently the second time, and added that diagonal part.

Some angle iron on the outer edges of the mounts would help a Ton. I like that you're making some sort of bed protection!

How hot does your tunnel get with having no carpet? I had to rip the carpet out of mine because it was so smelly. After I ripped it out, I found out why, the floor was gone on the drivers side and the carpet was the floor. I woild like to get a rubber mat for the inside but have not found one cheap enough yet.

I like the wheel and tire combination on your MJ. Looks good and keep posting the updates and pics!

To date, the fartest I've gone is about 4 miles :roll: .

After that, the tunnel was warm to the touch, but not scorching hot. I can get a better report after this weekend.

Thanks for the complements. I'm working on a gas tank skid plate now...hopefully it will be done today!

I have a trail run with my club that I am trying to make this Saturda. Things are looking pretty good so far!

Are those stock Jeep wheels? I have been looking for a set of plain steel wheels 15 X 8 for my MJ. The only place that I found was Stockton wheel and man are they expensive! They basically make them after you order them. I guess I will settle for the black american racing wheel.

How hot does your tunnel get with having no carpet? I had to rip the carpet out of mine because it was so smelly. After I ripped it out, I found out why, the floor was gone on the drivers side and the carpet was the floor. I woild like to get a rubber mat for the inside but have not found one cheap enough yet.

I like the wheel and tire combination on your MJ. Looks good and keep posting the updates and pics!

it will get uncomfortably warm during a day of summer trail riding.

last year in uwharrie my feet felt like they were on fire, and it was about 100* in the cab.

It's nice to not worry about your floors rusting by not having a carpet, but I'd never drive something that was gonna bake my feet....get some protective heat foil or something along those lines, and lay it in then either throw your carpet back in with none of the factory insulation.

I don't like to hear loud noises the truck makes on-road, so having a headliner and carpet is a must for me.

Are those stock Jeep wheels? I have been looking for a set of plain steel wheels 15 X 8 for my MJ. The only place that I found was Stockton wheel and man are they expensive! They basically make them after you order them. I guess I will settle for the black american racing wheel.

They are actualy stock CJ 15x7 rims with a 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 adapter thats 1.25" thick. They don't rub at all, but the best part is, I LOVE the rims.

Well I'm on the home strech!

Here is the gas tank skid plate.

I still have to install the transfer case skid, do some touch up on the bumper, put in a new D30 pinion yoke, and put breather lines on the axles.

Tomorrow is the day of the trail run!

• 4 weeks later...

Lockers will be here Tuesday. In a junkyard, I found an MJ with a sunrrof, and a bed liner. I took both. My paint job is almost done. I just have to do part of the roof, and the part dirrectly below the windshield.

The bumper came out really good!! Couldn't tell from the build pix. It fits great, nice job!!!

I like the side protection as well...I need this!!

BTW, how was the run, and where did ya go?

OH yea...what no pix....

CW

I only have a few pics..

We went to Carnage. Run was pretty good. I bent a tie-rod and my spare was FUBAR'd, so I had to leave the truck over night. I went up the next morning with another tie-rod. The trail is less than 25 miles from my house, so it wasnt too bad.

Well there's no turning back now! If I installed the lockers incorrectly..its too late. I tried them out, and they both work perfectly. Before the lockers, I couldnt get on that rock...now its a piece of cake!

:D

Oh, and now I have a 5.2L ZJ tie-rod up front. MUCH beefier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I figured I'd update this with some new pics. The only major changes to the truck conisist of an extra main leaf added to the pack for a little boost. I mainly wanted some weight capacity without any sag...which it was doing with my spares, tools, and gas. It works well now...and as you can see, flexes great!

riohva+07+010.JPG

riohva+07+023.JPG

riohva+07+025.JPG

I managed to re-work the sheet metal on both sides of the truck, and pop the bead on 2 of my tires. Full-sized spare, and 12v air compressor FTW!!

These were taken this past sunday (Nov. 18th) at the Rhode Island Off Highway Vehicle Association (RIOHVA) anual meeting/ride. I had the only MJ, and there were ~40 4x4s there and ~150 ATVs/Offroad Motorcycles.

You are correct! It is a 34x9.5 TSL. I don't know what the rim width is, but I will measure when I get home. I'm always asked that, and I honestly don't know the answer. I suppose that now the tire is off the rim...its a good time to check that!!

I have another wheeling day on Dec 1st in NH. This time its only 30 miles from my house. But it is also the same place that I had to leave the MJ over night in June! :popcorn: