1988 Comanche Project

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I was just looking back at this thread, and realized that it has been forever since I've updated it.

My MJ has changed a lot since the last pics. I can't believe it was ever that straight!!

In December 2009, I started my 1 tons swap. Axles are 1979 HP D60, and 1978 GM 14bff. 5.38 gears, welded diffs, hydro steering, 37" Cooper Discoverer STTs, H2 wheels, 3 link front.

I sold a bunch of my parts that I used to fund the swap to people on this forum. My axles, control arms, and wheel spacers....were all sold on this site.

Here is where I did my project. From beginning to end, it took me 8 months. And yes, I worked on it throughout the winter in my driveway.

Here's what the MJ looked like the first day that I drove it in 8 months.

But after having it out a few times, I hated how long it was...so I cut it up.

Here is how long it was before.

And here is what I did to it. (less than a week before I had to leave for a wheeling trip, I might add)

I rebuilt the rear bumper, and welded it to the rear frame. I then built shackle mounts off of the bumper, and tied them into the frame.

Here are some wheeling pictures.

And if you're interested, my build thread on Pirate. I have MANY more pictures detailing my 1 ton swap through the 8 month build time.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=814406

And my new-est addition, is a 1997+ front clip, and fenders.

And I also picked up another 1979 HP D60 for $300. I'm thinking of HP rear steer sometime soon. :D

• 10 months later...

Thought I'd update this again. Now its sitting on 42 Iroks. I'm at the point that I'm ready to chop the frame, link, cage, and buggify the entire thing. I have a pair of 16" travel 2.0" SAW air shocks for the rear, and a pair of 14" travel 2.5" Fox air shocks for the front. Just waiting for 1 more wheeling weekend then its under the knife.

Ignore the wooden bumper. It is an inside joke for my club. :D