WTF:The sprinter van thread!

james750

WTF is with the sprinter vans. I have now seen it under three different manufacturers; Dodge sprinter, Mercedes Benz sprinter, and the newest that I saw tonight, Freightliner sprinter. They are all the exact same vehicle except the manufacturer emblem, even the model emblem is the same. SO, anyone have the story on what is with that is with that? :dunno: This has been bothering me for quite some time now.

It's the same theory as any other vehicle that they do the same thing with. Dodge Caravan - Chrysler Town & Country ... Dodge Neon - Plymouth Neon ... etc, etc... One vehicle, different badges and some slight cosmetic changes ;)

The Sprinter is seemingly a nice vehicle, but they are an INCREDIBLE nightmare to work on. You can't look up brake parts for them even with a VIN number...you have to actually have the customer come to the dealership and match them up. A dealership must be "Sprinter" certified to even change the oil in one as there is a special process to doing an oil change or you will damage the engine :shake: . I learned to hate them when I was at the dealership and thank God that we were not a Sprinter dealer so I learned to just send the phone calls away when I did get them.

Are freightliner, Dodge, and Mercedes affiliated with each other though? The caravan sharing many names makes sense b/c all of its other names are still under Chrysler.

Yes, Diamler (Same company that ownes Frieghtliner and Mercedes) was the previous owner of Chrysler, Chrysler still uses a lot from them (parts and designs).

Are freightliner, Dodge, and Mercedes affiliated with each other though? The caravan sharing many names makes sense b/c all of its other names are still under Chrysler.

Yes, Diamler (Same company that ownes Frieghtliner and Mercedes) was the previous owner of Chrysler, Chrysler still uses a lot from them (parts and designs).

Oh...sorry...guess I was SSuming that that was already known :oops: :cheers:

A dealership must be "Sprinter" certified to even change the oil in one as there is a special process to doing an oil change or you will damage the engine :shake: .

Do you have any more details about this process? Curiosity has me wondering how they could over complicate an oil change. :hmm:

Willy

My brother in law (one of the mechanics at UPS) says they start to rattle when they get between 300,000-400,000 miles on them. Lot of motor homes also use the freighliner chassis to build on.

They are a fine truck, but helps to have the manual to service them correctly.....

http://www.mercedesmanuals.com/Mercedes ... icombo.htm

I have seen all kinds of disasters from "quickie lube places" trying to change oil. I would not go there on a dare.

Since I never worked at an "Authorized Sprinter" dealer, I don't know the exact steps, but there is a certain pattern that has to be followed to ensure that the engine is not damaged at start-up after changing the oil. Only "certified" Sprinter techs or "Sprinter Certified" lube techs are even allowed to change the oil :shake: .

I had one of the first FedEx Sprinters a few years ago. It had a speed limiter which was really annoying. And the doorway from the cab to the cab was too short. I bumped my head a lot.

After a week, I asked for my old POS Freightliner back. :D

Drove one awhile back when in Norway. It was a bus setup. Handled good and rode alright. Even in slipper conditions. Spent about 18 hours straight in it driving around Oslo picking up drunk squids. image_209027.gif

Pretty sure thats a completely different chassis as what the sprinter is based on.

Spent about 18 hours straight in it driving around Oslo picking up drunk squids. image_209027.gif

Aye, picking up drunk squids. Must have pulled SP duty in port. Been there done that from both sides; the picker-upper and the pikee. :beerhead: But never in Norway or in a Sprinter. :D

The Sprinter came out in the states first thru Freightliner after they were bought by Daimler. I believe some Merka-dees were imported prior to that on a limited basis, and then Dodge stuck their name on it too. The van shown by mfpdm has been a huge success all over europe for years, mainly based on the Mercedes engine and it's incredible fuel efficiency. I believe Sir Sam is correct that it is built on a different chassis in the states. Same drivetrain though. It is a 5cyl with a 5spd auto and while it's no drag monster, it'll pull a grade at the same speed loaded as empty from what I heard from a lot of owners. The amazing feature though is they get mid 20s on highway (single rear wheel models). Considering the size and weight of them, that's pretty impressive. Being that the alternative to that was usually a 10-12mpg gas box van or 14-16mpg regular cargo van, delivery companies really like them. When I ran a commercial rental fleet in Pittsburgh, we considered buying them but we were able to buy regular cargo vans SOOO cheap and resell them in 6-8 mos for a nice profit, so we didn't get any. I did hear about the maintenance headaches of basic LOFR's and brake jobs as noted above. IIRC it's a 300k rated engine, so if it's rattling at 300-400k for the UPS boys, that's about when it's due for overhaul. On a small displacement engine under that kind of use, I hope UPS isn't complaining LOL.

The Sprinter came out in the states first thru Freightliner after they were bought by Daimler. I believe some Merka-dees were imported prior to that on a limited basis, and then Dodge stuck their name on it too. The van shown by mfpdm has been a huge success all over europe for years, mainly based on the Mercedes engine and it's incredible fuel efficiency. I believe Sir Sam is correct that it is built on a different chassis in the states. Same drivetrain though. It is a 5cyl with a 5spd auto and while it's no drag monster, it'll pull a grade at the same speed loaded as empty from what I heard from a lot of owners. The amazing feature though is they get mid 20s on highway (single rear wheel models). Considering the size and weight of them, that's pretty impressive. Being that the alternative to that was usually a 10-12mpg gas box van or 14-16mpg regular cargo van, delivery companies really like them. When I ran a commercial rental fleet in Pittsburgh, we considered buying them but we were able to buy regular cargo vans SOOO cheap and resell them in 6-8 mos for a nice profit, so we didn't get any. I did hear about the maintenance headaches of basic LOFR's and brake jobs as noted above. IIRC it's a 300k rated engine, so if it's rattling at 300-400k for the UPS boys, that's about when it's due for overhaul. On a small displacement engine under that kind of use, I hope UPS isn't complaining LOL.

I think that 5cyl mercedes engine is sleeved too, which would make for fairly easy rebuilds........

course, this is only in reference to the diesel models......who gives a $#!& about the gas versions.....

I think that 5cyl mercedes engine is sleeved too, which would make for fairly easy rebuilds........

course, this is only in reference to the diesel models......who gives a s#!t about the gas versions.....

the gas vans i was referring to were your chebby, foe'ds, and dodge cargo van and cutaway/cube vans. you can't get a sprinter van w/gas. not sure if that's what you meant.........

........the gas vans i was referring to were your chebby, foe'ds, and dodge cargo van and cutaway/cube vans. you can't get a sprinter van w/gas. not sure if that's what you meant.........

Not true Wahoo! There is a version of Sprinter available with a gas Mercedes engine that is a derivitive of the Crossfire engine.

They're a nice compromised between a van and a larger truck. A local electric motor company uses two of them, and had me set up a sliding beam and trolley setup in the back though could slide out the back of the van to pick up heavy motors and such. They're definitely well built.

The dealership I used to workk at hade a huge wholesale parts set up. They used 8 to 10 vans for delivery all over the State of NY. Each van was logging from 60 to 100K a year. They made the switch to Sprinters from Chevy cubes. Chevy gas engines were 6 to 10 MPG in the cubes, to 18 to 23 with the diesel Sprinters. Huge operating cost savings.

[

Get the eff outta here?! And it was sold under the Freightliner badge? I thought Dodge may have done that with theirs when it hit the market. When was the earliest the gas was available?

Learn something new all the time. I stand corrected Sir Sam and AMC. Good work! :bowdown:

The gasoline sprinters came out in 2007 with the body redesign. It is a 3.5 V6. I used to work at a dealer that sold them, and even not being a trained sprinter tech, did do some oil changes, and don't remember there being anything special to do them. They have a cartridge style filter that goes in from the top. You have to change the cartridge O-rings at the same time, but its no big deal. I never had a problem doing them. The biggest problem the delivery drivers had with them was the brakes. Like a previous poster said, you had to look at the brakes to know which ones to replace them with. We had a Fed-Ex driver with one that put new pads, rotors, and brake sensors on at evey other oil change... that about 20000 miles. That was the other money saving thing for maintenance, was the 10000 oil change interval, but they had to use 10 1/2 quarts of synthetic oil, so not sure if they were really saviing any money or not.