Wife totaled the Envoy...looking for a new SUV

MWinland

Got word today that my wife totaled her Envoy. I'm stuck in Sault Ste Marie, MI waiting on a generator part for the ship so I've got some time to e-shop. She wants an SUV, and I don't want her driving my MJ. Any recommendations on used small to midsize SUVs?

Got word today that my wife totaled her Envoy. I'm stuck in Sault Ste Marie, MI waiting on a generator part for the ship so I've got some time to e-shop. She wants an SUV, and I don't want her driving my MJ. Any recommendations on used small to midsize SUVs?

Jeep Liberty CRD. Jeep, 4wd, Diesel.

Need I say more?

Jeep Liberty CRD. Jeep, 4wd, Diesel.

Need I say more?

:agree: , or find a CRD WK. That 3.0L Mercedes engine is awesome in the torque department. Almost 400 lb/ft at 1800 rpm's, and easy mid 20's for fuel mileage.

Ya, depends on what your willing to spend, one your talking about 12-15k on the low end, the other your talking about 27k on the low end.

And did I mention the WK CRD comes as a 2wd? :doh: :no:

:agree: , or find a CRD WK. That 3.0L Mercedes engine is awesome in the torque department. Almost 400 lb/ft at 1800 rpm's, and easy mid 20's for fuel mileage.

Ya, depends on what your willing to spend, one your talking about 12-15k on the low end, the other your talking about 27k on the low end.

And did I mention the WK CRD comes as a 2wd? :doh: :no:

The Liberty CRD was only made in 2005 - 2006. Now the only "new" one that can be found is the Grand.

I didn't see anything about wanting to buy a new vehicle to take a hit on depreciation.

KJ CRD is the perfect age, 2-3 years old, made its biggest drop in price already. Plenty of them around. And since they get better mileage than the WK CRD they are a smart choice when you consider what fuel will go back up to shortly.

Too bad you don't know any one that can go to dealer auctions. The guy I work with just bought his wife a 2005 Envoy with 35k for 9k at auction. He pays the dealership $500 for use of there license. He told me I wouldn't believe what the cars go for at auction now.

The 06 CRD at my house has an engine heater. Never had an issue in the cold (I think about 10* is the coldest it's seen so far).

They have a different maintenance schedule and you need to adhere to it. Different filters, different oils, different time intervals. And it makes different noises and vibrations than a gas powered rig. We love it and we've put about 80k miles on it. There were some teething issues in 05, but they should all have been in for warranty work to fix all that by now (egr and TQ problems mostly). lostkjs.com has some good info for your reading pleasure.

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/vie ... 3f95a28941

Most of all I love pulling up next to the big rigs at the freeway fuel stations. :D I get all sorts of weird looks. Occasionally an attendant will run out to warn me I'm putting diesel into my Jeep. :clapping:

I don't know anything about the Liberty because up until today, I wasn't really interested. Anyway, what kind of reliablity does the CRD have vs. the gas-burner? Is it prone to not starting in the cold?

Don't worry about it starting in the cold, remember this is a modern diesel, not the stinky old clunkers you remember from the 80s.

the KJ CRD is a DOHC electronically direct injected common rail diesel(hence CRD), with a variable geometry turbo, vicious coolant heater(for really cold days), bosch EDC16 ecu, with drive by wire strait from the pedal(no more throttle cable connected to a POT like some vehicles) using the Bosche CP3 IP(like the dodge cummins)

Basically, this is a modern engine, pluggin it in is nice - but not necessary.

Reliability, well there are three things I would point out, and they may or may not be an issue for a prospective buyer. For me and many others they haven't been a problem, and for some they have had all of them.

#1 air in filter head: the KJ CRD uses the Bosch CP3 with a gear driven lift pump built in, this means that it pulls fuel from the tank under a vaccum, now lets say you have a fuel filter which isn't quite tight enough, this means that instead of dribbling a little fuel and making an oily residue on your filter it will pull air into the fuel head. For some people this was a common occurrence, for others like myself it has never happened. The solution is to buy a cummins in tank lift pump, drop the fuel tank, and install it into the KJ, the wiring/control is already there, you need only run a little bit of wire from inside the cab along the level sensor to the new pump assembly(or buy a new gasser fuel pump harness).

#2 Boost hoses - these seem inevitable, the original design was flawed, DCJ(dodge Chrysler Jeep) has since updated the design and the new hoses from the dealer have a Fluro liner, however for about the same price or sometimes less you can get Samco performance boost hoses which are quite a bit better quality. How they stack up to the new redesigned units? well we don't know yet.

#3 Torque converter, the KJ uses the 545RFE tranny, which seems to be a pretty good trans, I like it, I would prefer it over an AW4 frankly. the only drawback is the stock TQ, it used a plastic stator and has been known to fail. Some, like myself, have had zero issues, others have had more than one replaced in the past. DCX issued a recall where the TQ was replaced, the front pump, and a TCM reflash was performed. This is a mixed bag as they seem to have detuned the TCM, but also improved the TQ and pump. Suncoast has now made a nice aftermarket unit which is very stout - if and when mine ever fails thats what I will replace it with.

Now all these things may seem somewhat daunting, but in 60k miles of use our only had one turbo hose fail, got a new set of samco hoses and all is good with the world.

On the gas mileage, I don't think I have ever seen less than 22mpg driving around LA, on the highway 27 is pretty common, slow down a little and you will break 30. Best we have ever gotten was 36 driving about 55-60 and keeping off the gas.

Right now the economics of the diesel vs gas are a little hard to justify, I saw diesel at 1.99 while I paid 1.39 for gas, thats about 30% more than gas, which the CRD gets about 30% better mileage, so its a toss up, yet back over the summer, when you would pay $4.50 for diesel or 3.60 for gas, thats about a 20% difference, meaning the CRD still is about 10% more economic. there were several times when the prices difference went to 15 or even 10%.

Personally I am not super fond of the KJ chassis, I would rather have an XJ, I have to admit the KJ is newer with more creature comforts, is safer, and has more passenger room though. The CRD is a great little package that purrs along in a 2.8Literly manly fashion, it has gobs of torque and the VGT turbo spools quick(even quicker than my 320hp Twin turbo Nissan).

Don't shy away from the WJ platform either. I have an 04 Special Edition and love it. I use it for everything. It is my tow rig. I have towed as much as 6000 lbs without even a wimper from it.

If you go with a WJ stay away from anything with the HO 4.7 and dual climate control. Mostly the Overlands and Limiteds come with those 2 options. Make sure you get one with the regular 4.7 V8. They have gobs of power and get decent mileage, about 22 hwy.

The best part is they can be bought for $7000-$8000 right now for the 04s!