2.8L to 3.4L swap

Oh, I'm not looking to do it myself just yet, I'm hoping to gather together info from the people who have so everyone can get some first hand info. Best sites I've found so far for it are:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/x ... 4swap.html

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Pro ... ect_XJ.htm

But I wanted to find any guys here that have done it so questions can be asked.

I had it done with an unknown 3.4L engine donor. I kept the TBI that came on the 3.4L engine and the AX5 that was behind the 2.8. Always worked good at steep angles and had plenty of power, although less than a 4.0L, way better than the 2.8.

They're hard to start - the name escapes me but the bore is bigger than the stroke or something and it doesn't want to crank over. But it always started (well until that one time...).

Can't give you more 411 as I just paid to have it done. If I'd know what I was doing at the time I would have bought a 4.0L in the first place.

They're hard to start - the name escapes me but the bore is bigger than the stroke or something and it doesn't want to crank over. But it always started (well until that one time...).

"oversquare" engine ;)

Jeff

the swap is easy :brows:

it took me about 3 days, and the donor wehicle to look for is a 93-95 camaro with either the manual or automatic transmission (depends on your application), if it's a stick you'll need to get a neutrally balanced flywheel for like an 87 s10. O'Reilly Auto has em for like $60 new.

The engine is bolt for bolt the same, the key is whether you go carbed or fuel injection. Fuel injection is a lot more work (obviously).

When swapping over, you have to take the timing cover and waterpump and accesory brackets from the 2.8l and put them on the 3.4l, so buy a good felpro or who ever you like gasket kit. If your state doesn't care, you can just cut the emmsions crap and have a much stronger running engine. If you go carbs get a good carb, because the factory varijet suck. A good webber 38, or the edelbrock intake and a good 4 barrel.

Really the swap is pretty easy, just prepare

• 1 year later...

has anyone ever converted over to 3.4 & keep serpentine belt drive? the only problem i can find is what to run for cooling fan due to reverse drive water pump will not work w/ fan clutch. i want to swap to serpentine belt but fan leaves me puzzled :headpop:

A couple years ago we swapped a blown 2.8 for a different one in an 86 XJ. We swapped over the serpentine belt directly from the S10 donor. We used the same power steering pump with the XJ hoses. Just had to rewire the altenator for the different style plug. Hope that helps

can't really help, i haven't done the swap yet. i am waiting on a reply from the wrecking yard to see what it's going to cost for the engine, computer, and wiring harness. it might be about a month or two before i start on this project, depending on how much they want for it all. if not all the info is in by then, i can put in after i finish.

• 3 months later...
Been looking at the edelbrock intakes, and it doesn't look like they have a 4bbl top that will accept EGRs? So, if I want emmiossions legal I have to stay 2bbl, right?

yes if u want to stay legal u gota run the 2b intake , but depending on where u live and what all they look for u might be able to run the weber 2b setup and still be legal along with the EGR .

u wouldnt happen to know which carb u have would u , its either the 2SE(non computer controled) or E2SE (computer controled) .?