ba10/5 to ax15 OR aw4 swap info

posted by me on Jeeps-Offroad.com

ba10/5 to ax15 swap

you will need;

basically you need the everything for the tranny (including a new transfercase as it is a different spline count), including the shifter handle, trans, bellhousing, and slave cylinder (plus throwout bearing plate if you manage to get one with an external slave bellhousing...which I highly recommend).

the pilot bearing will also have to be changed to the ax15 pilot bearing

(mod edit: or the 74 CJ 304 pilot bushing (a $2 part) depending on the year of the AX-15).

chances are you will have to put a posi-lok for your front axle Central Axle Disconnect (CAD), though you may get lucky with a 1990 ax15 and np231 which has the vacuum switch on the transfercase.

(mod edit: or secure the CAD in to the shifted position using any one of a number of methods OR swap in a solid shaft from a non-CAD Dana 30)

you can also swap out the input shaft on your t-case for a 23 spline one if you choose (this is a good chance to rebuild the case...it is very easy to do).

[ba10/5 to aw4 swap

you will need;

trans (1987-mid 1990 for or you will need transfercase as well due to spline count changes)

bellhousing

torque converter

flex plate

dust shields

transmission wiring harness (this is seperate from the body harness and the connectors are already there)

engine computer (though this is debatable...some have not had to swap the ECM)

Throttle/trans cable (TV cable) and throttle body mount. the cable is part of the trans, so the only thing you'd need to locate is the mount if you do get the transmission.

TPS the throttle position sensors are also different

TCU (tranny control unit...transmission computer. located under the knee board on the passenger side of the dash. tranny wiring also runs in that location, and you can trail it back to remove it).

pedal assembly with brake switchshifter

shifter plate (plugs the 5 speed shifter hole)

shifter cable and transmission bracket. these are different depending on if the donor has a floor shifter or column shifter.

steering column. you can get by without it, but there is a safety ignition lockout that will keep you from being able to remove the key until it is in park. I run auto columns in my jeeps and bypass the safety feature for the simple fact that the shifter is always put where it belongs, and I don't want any extra crap to break.

that should be it.

also note that the driveshaft length may change, though I have no specifics on this...any swap done by me included a lift, and was a 2wd to 4wd conversion as well so it required new shafts

(I put this here so that anyone doing either swap can find out the parts list. please inform me if I forgot anything...I don't think I did but you never know)

• 1 month later...

If you aren't a regular mechanic, I heartily suggest taking zip lock bags with you to the junkyard you get the trans from. Put the bolts from different spots and label the bags with a felt pen. IE: bellhousing, starter, flexplate, trans crossbar, etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
My donor MJ is and aw4 on the column,and i want it to be on the floor. can i just get the parts for the shifter on the floor and set it up that way? i hate column shifters.

you'll need:

aw4 floor shifter and transmission tunnel plate (the plate which mounts under the shifter)

aw4 floor shifter cable

aw4 floor shift transmission cable bracket

aw4 floor shift transmission arm (this is what the cable connects to on the tranny)

aw4 non-column shift steering column (you cannot remove the old one from the old column)

aw4 floor shift safety cable (this goes from the floor shifter to the steering column)

everything there is different from a column-shift setup. the swap will only take a couple hours...I just did it on my 87, but it was more difficult because everything was also upgraded to 1995 cherokee engine trans and wiring.

My donor MJ is and aw4 on the column,and i want it to be on the floor. can i just get the parts for the shifter on the floor and set it up that way? i hate column shifters.

you'll need:

aw4 floor shifter and transmission tunnel plate (the plate which mounts under the shifter)

aw4 floor shifter cable

aw4 floor shift transmission arm (this is what the cable connects to on the tranny)

aw4 non-column shift steering column (you cannot remove the old one from the old column)

aw4 floor shift safety cable (this goes from the floor shifter to the steering column)

everything there is different from a column-shift setup. the swap will only take a couple hours...I just did it on my 87, but it was more difficult because everything was also upgraded to 1995 cherokee engine trans and wiring.

So whats the differance between the steering column i have now with the ba-10 and the steering column for the aw4 on the floor? i didnt think i would have to chage that part. aside from the key retainer.

you'll need:

aw4 floor shifter cable

So whats the differance between the steering column i have now with the ba-10 and the steering column for the aw4 on the floor? i didnt think i would have to chage that part. aside from the key retainer.

it has some safety locks in it for the safety cable to attach to. it's not 100% necessary, if you're willing to live with being able to shift without the key turned to the on position. if you don't use the safety lock, you'll have to figure out how to "disarm" the other end of the safety cable by removing it and bypassing that part on the floor shifter (it's not as hard as it sounds)

swapping the key retainer is a PITA if you're not swapping the column then don't bother with that.

• 2 months later...

I'm doing the BA-10 to AX-15 swap to my XJ this weekend. Should be the the same deal though I figure.

My 87 XJ already has a 4.0/BA-10/NP231. It's getting a 97 AX-15/NP231 with SYE. Only thing I've heard is that the 97 speedo gear needs to be swapped in. (it's supposedly slightly longer than the older one)

I'll try to remember to post up how it goes ... :cheers:

anyone have a dirt cheap front driveshaft in or near west Michigan for me ! :yes:

I am getting ready to do this swap on my xj

here are some links

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/ax15swap.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312203

what I have also learned is.. the hose from the clutch master cylinder to slave cylinder is not available from the aftermarket unless you go through advance adapters, and they want 70 bucks for it.

the pilot bearing will also have to be changed to the ax15 pilot bearing

(mod edit: or the 74 CJ 304 pilot bushing (a $2 part) depending on the year of the AX-15).

please explain?

is the AX-15 pilot bearing that expensive?

No, but the pilot bearing size for the AX-15 was changed IIRC in 91. The hole in the crankshaft was also changed in 91 with the HO motor. Therefore, in order to mate a post-91 AX-15 to a pre-91 4.0, you need the CJ bearing, as it has the proper outer and inner diameters.

• 11 months later...
[ba10/5 to aw4 swap

you will need;

trans (1987-mid 1990 for or you will need transfercase as well due to spline count changes)

bellhousing

torque converter

fled plate

dust shields

transmission wiring harness (this is seperate from the body harness and the connectors are already there)

Throttle/trans cable (TV cable) and throttle body mount. the cable is part of the trans, so the only thing you'd need to locate is the mount if you do get the transmission.

TCU (tranny control unit...transmission computer. located under the knee board on the passenger side of the dash. tranny wiring also runs in that location, and you can trail it back to remove it).

shifter cable and transmission bracket. these are different depending on if the donor has a floor shifter or column shifter.

steering column. you can get by without it, but there is a safety ignition lockout that will keep you from being able to remove the key until it is in park. I run auto columns in my jeeps and bypass the safety feature for the simple fact that the shifter is always put where it belongs, and I don't want any extra crap to break.

In my Mj it does not appear to be a seperate harness... I don't see the connectors to plug in the AW4 plugs. It appears to all be part of the body harness on the 88 XJ I'm using as a donor. Any help? Do i really need to swap the whole Harness? :doh:

[ba10/5 to aw4 swap

you will need;

bellhousing

torque converter

fled plate

dust shields

In my Mj it does not appear to be a seperate harness... I don't see the connectors to plug in the AW4 plugs. It appears to all be part of the body harness on the 88 XJ I'm using as a donor. Any help? Do i really need to swap the whole Harness? :doh:

I will have to correct myself. The transmission harness is part of the engine bay harness...NOT part of the dash harness. the tranny computer harness is also part of the engine bay harness. it enters the firewall on the passenger side behind and to the pass. side to the rear of the engine. the TCU is located under the knee board.

to do an aw4 TO 5 speed swap, you do not need to replace the harness...you can splice the trans harness connectors together, and swap the ECU and remove the TCU.

however, you cannot do a 5 speed TO auto swap without swapping the entire engine harness, or doing some heavy duty wiring to install wires that simply don't exist in the 5 speed harness.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's some information I gathered having just done the swap.

Be sure that you have the means to remove the pilot bearing and pilot bearing spacer when you're doing this swap; this issue caused me two days delay in attempting to find tools, knowledge and resources to remove it - I ended up using my MIG welder to remove it; here's the thread that I posted in which everyone offered me insight -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34700

Also, be sure that your frame rails are in good enough condition to support the new crossmember! There are a total of 8 mounting points for the crossmember, however; there are also two 'sets' of these holes. The Puegot trans uses the front four per side, the AX15/AW4 use the 'rear' four per side. I completely forgot about this, and had already made a point to repair the front weld nuts....luckily I still had two extra weld nuts left to support the trans to get my jeep home. The factory nuts were rotted out.

Hopefully this will save someone some hassle.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Ok, I currently have the BA10/5 in an 87.

I have sitting my garage an AX15 from a 98 XJ and a NP231 from a 90 XJ.  I also have the master/slave/hydraulic-line/shift fork for the AX15.  I will need the release bearing and pilot bushing (from a 74 CJ304).

I just had a new pressure plate/clutch installed on the BA10. 

Will these work with the AX 15 or will I have to replace them?

The T/O bearing is different and there are 2 different spline counts for the trans input shaft. Also keep in mind that the flywheel is different from Renix to HO EFI system.

I swapped an AW4 into my '87 and I HAD the C101 connector before. I undid the harness at the firewall and removed the half with the C101 connector and replaced it with a '90 harness from an automatic rig. I could have just swapped 1/2 the drivetrain harness if I had a pre '89 auto harness with the C101 connector. I also swapped the TPS for an auto one but didn't have the holes for the TVS cable bracket. I have another throttle body to put on that does have the bracket.

The T/O bearing is different and there are 2 different spline counts for the trans input shaft. Also keep in mind that the flywheel is different from Renix to HO EFI system.

I swapped an AW4 into my '87 and I HAD the C101 connector before. I undid the harness at the firewall and removed the half with the C101 connector and replaced it with a '90 harness from an automatic rig. I could have just swapped 1/2 the drivetrain harness if I had a pre '89 auto harness with the C101 connector. I also swapped the TPS for an auto one but didn't have the holes for the TVS cable bracket. I have another throttle body to put on that does have the bracket.

Thanks for the responce.  The tcase is from a 90 XJ.  It has the proper spline count.  The 90 was equipped from Jeep with an AX15, so that issue is Moot.

As for the flywheel, I have read on CC that the FW stays with the engine (Renix), since it controls the CPS.  So, that issue is Moot.

I am not swapping a manual to auto.  So none of the electronics need to change (expect the back up light.)

My question is: do I need to swap the clutch pressure plate and clutch disk.  I already said I need to get a TO bearing and pilot bushing.