YJ???

CEThomas

The 2.5 in the Wrangler (TJ or YJ) is just as gutless as it is in the MJ. My dad had one in his '99 TJ and my brother has one in his '94 YJ. Dad's was lifted with 35"s on it and it was in dire need of a gear change, 5th gear was worthless. He sold it because he didnt like having the 4 cyl for pulling trailers and offroading. My Brother's '94 is still pretty much stock but it never really impressed me much either.

Neither one got significantly better gas mileage than both Renix 4.0L engines in my MJ's (around 18 mpg with the blue 4wd and 20 mpg with the white 2wd).

Rule of thumb that I have heard is that if you want a 4 cyl in any Jeep, you had better not plan on lifting it. The moment you lift/modify it, you get worse mileage than you would if it were a 6 cyl (especially a Renix).

Just my $.02 - I'll never own a 4 cyl Jeep if I can help it.

- Brent

I have owned several 2.5 X/MJs. It is a decent engine for a stocker. They do not get the greatest mileage in stock form and they are pretty gutless. I got a whopping 18 MPG in my MJ that was stock on the HWY.

I currently own a 04 WJ 4X4 with the 4.7 V8. It has a 4" lift with full armor front, rear, and rockers. It is not a light vehicle by no means.

I run 265/75/16s for trail use only now. I am running a set of 245/70/16 street meats for DD duty.

I get 16-17 city and 21+ highway if I keep my foot out of it. They are cheap now too. Sucks for those of us who bought them new and still over what the book for.

You can pick a WJ up for $3000-6000 depending on year and options. Don't limit yourself to just the Barbie Jeeps.

i had a stock 2.5L YJ and it got around 16mpg. when i put a snorkle on it, it went up to a 17mpg. then i put a set of 35's on it, it went to 10mpg. hes a kid so get him an old V-dub. he will really learn how to work on a car then. ha ha ha :D

I get 25 mpg from a 208k mile hrysler minivan (the "C" fell off) with the 3.3L engine. Just throwing that out there. I mean YJs are cool and all, but nothing impresses your friends like a minivan. :D

I get 25 mpg from a 208k mile hrysler minivan (the "C" fell off) with the 3.3L engine. Just throwing that out there. I mean YJs are cool and all, but nothing impresses your friends like a minivan. :D

Wow Pete... you are the COOLEST!

I'm so Jealous... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Paint that bad boy yellow and cover it in Skulls with a big tail, THEN we might talk...

Thanks,

Looks like I need to work on him and try to get him over the Jeep thing :D

He needs a DD that gets 20mpg or better, dependable and can get through the snow as they have a hard time plowing the roads in the area :chillin:

As my Ranger SuperCab 4x4 makes 20mpg and the wifes ZJ with 5.2 makes 16.5 I sure would have thought the yj would have been around 22mpg.

To bad I could not get a YJ and put a diesel from a Libby in :brows:

And yes Pet I know about the mini-vans. Trying to talk my wife into trading the Zj in on another one for the family car ;) She likes the 36 she makes with the Tracer but is sucks when we all go some where in it :mad: and she never wants to put gas in the ZJ.

Kind of funny on the MPG side of things, just last night my wife and I were talking about all the new 09 stuff that is out and how they say it gets great MPG's :nuts: I told my wife that our 89 grand carvan got 24mpg and the 91 Olds Cutlass Supreme I drive to work everyday makes 29mpg and that now we should see the same size vehicles making 30+ ;)

"- He needs a DD that gets 20mpg or better, dependable and can get through the snow as they have a hard time plowing the roads in the area "

hhhmmmm Don't shoot me :roll: How 'bout one of those Suzuki Samurai things.... :eek:

my 02 ranger on 33s gets 18 mpg around town. prob 20 on the hwy if I'm lucky.

anyone gota 2.5 plus trans they wana get rid of ;) I'm thinkin of goin 4cyl in mine since the treefiddy will be suckin some gas lol.

"- He needs a DD that gets 20mpg or better, dependable and can get through the snow as they have a hard time plowing the roads in the area "

hhhmmmm Don't shoot me :roll: How 'bout one of those Suzuki Samurai things.... :eek:

I told him that might work, but he wants to stay with a Jeep ;) and they want a lot of $$$ for them in our area, about 1,000 more then a YJ :nuts:

Re-gearing the axle's in the MJ to get better MPG's is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying another Jeep (Wranglers seem to hold their value better than the XJ/MJ/ZJ does).

Just my penny and a half worth... :cheers:

Are looking at the re-gearing, just with the re-gearing and all the other items the MJ needs is more then the YJ I have been looking at :roll:

The cold hard facts are I can only help him a little with $$$ and he has to hande the rest of the cost, and with the student loan problems now all his extra $$$ needs to go to the school fund.

my 02 ranger on 33s gets 18 mpg around town. prob 20 on the hwy if I'm lucky.

anyone gota 2.5 plus trans they wana get rid of ;) I'm thinkin of goin 4cyl in mine since the treefiddy will be suckin some gas lol.

With all the crap he has given me about my Ranger, he would walk first :D

I'm not really a big fan of them but any Subaru will get over 20 MPG, used ones are relatively cheap, their reliable, and do very well up to about a foot of snow.

He would like a Impreza, but then so would I :cheers:

Me too!!! :cheers:

This is a shot in the dark but I thought you may be interested in my old DD. 94 saab 900s 2.3 5spd. Loaded no rust, 17 enkei wheels, new tires, 126k. Very reliable and they are great in snow and great on gas. Asking $3000 obo if you care. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

[/img]

pimped+out+minivan.jpg

the answer!!! good mpg and he can carry all his buddys girls around. there is a lot of room back there!!! :D

also it would make a heck of a booze cruzer :cheers: :cheers:

na you can't go wrong with a v-dub though

microv-dubs.jpg :chillin: [/url]

This is a shot in the dark but I thought you may be interested in my old DD. 94 saab 900s 2.3 5spd. Loaded no rust, 17 enkei wheels, new tires, 126k. Very reliable and they are great in snow and great on gas. Asking $3000 obo if you care. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

[/img]

Thanks,

But out of his price range and a stick.

na you can't go wrong with a v-dub though

microv-dubs.jpg :chillin: [/url]

Yes, I got a V-dub while I was in college and wish I had it yet.

A new 84 Rabbit Diesel, with the AC on and a car load it was slow to take off :roll: but it got 46mpg day in and day out :cheers: