CHAT ROOM

ICEBOX

You know progress. There once was a time when people communicated by writing letters with a simple pen using their hands. It didn't take much thinking to work a pen so most of the thought process went into the message. Since the medium was mail you had to make the message clear and complete. Then phones came along and we could just talk to people we knew. Then texting came along, so much better. Because of the steps to type individual letters on a number pad, short hand was developed. Now instead of having a free mind to write, read, and understand, you have to remember the shorthand and how to make a 'c' versus an 'A'. Doesn't matter if the message doesn't get understood the first ime, it's instant, you can take as long as required to talk in fragmented phrases. Isn't it easier to just call them? But then you might be interupting the recepient doing something important like learning something, but you do expect a quick reply.

Now with Chat rooms you can do it instantly even with people you don't know and you may even have a real keyboard to to it. If you want to you can say anything you want since you can do it without an identy.

Ok,school an old guy,what's a chatroom?

I know my SO's 16 yr old daughter knows,

I'm clueless.I'm still stuck in the old days

using a phone.Doh!

It's simply a bunch of people logged in to one site and talking live on the internet via thier keyboards instead of typing a message in a BB like this and waiting for a reply to come.

We tried it for a while on the forums that I Admin on, but it was much more work for us than it was worth. The site patrons enjoyed it, but it just did not really make sense to try to keep it up to us. My advice to Pete would be to research it thoroughly before making any commitments as it can be a real PITA for the site Admin & mods.

Ok,school an old guy,what's a chatroom?

I know my SO's 16 yr old daughter knows,

I'm clueless.I'm still stuck in the old days

using a phone.Doh!

It's simply a bunch of people logged in to one site and talking live on the internet via thier keyboards instead of typing a message in a BB like this and waiting for a reply to come.

We tried it for a while on the forums that I Admin on, but it was much more work for us than it was worth. The site patrons enjoyed it, but it just did not really make sense to try to keep it up to us. My advice to Pete would be to research it thoroughly before making any commitments as it can be a real PITA for the site Admin & mods.

What I've noticed is that on many forums there are not enough people logged in and wanting to chat at any one time to really make it worthwhile.

Even on forums where there are as many as 200-300 people viewing at once, maybe 1-2% of those will go into chat.

I tried it a while back. And failed miserably. I'm just not computer savvy enough to get it running right. :( I really need to find someone close enough to me that they can show me on my computer how to make better use of cPanel. The online web instructions apparently aren't dumbed-down enough. :roll: It's always been on the to-do list. I should probably bump it up higher on the list. :hateputers:

I tried it a while back. And failed miserably. I'm just not computer savvy enough to get it running right. :( I really need to find someone close enough to me that they can show me on my computer how to make better use of cPanel. The online web instructions apparently aren't dumbed-down enough. :roll: It's always been on the to-do list. I should probably bump it up higher on the list. :hateputers:

Pete, you could try one of these setups:

http://chat.parachat.com/chat2/login.ht ... nturbo.NET