What size and where are the speakers located in an MJ?

Actually, the rears were either 3" or 4" round speakers mounted on a rectangular plate. Not the easiest item to find. Someone told me that there is (or was) a Mercedes speaker with the same configuration but I never verified it.

what about up under the dash on both sides?

I doubt MJs ever came with those.....but if I remember right they were a 2" speaker.

I think some did (like Laredos). I just got a knee panel out of a cherokee to replace mine for $6 and it has the speakers.

Mine was orgionally a SporTruck and unless the PO installed them himself i think a select few Base models came with them also ;)

Not "them." The base radio option in the SporTruck was a monaural unit with no tape deck, and that used (I'm pretty sure) ONE speaker in the dashboard.

Yeah, they are -- like this:

h107mmc460p.jpg

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... 460&tp=105

Keep in mind that a round speaker is acoustically superior to an oval or oblong, because the entire cone vibrates at the same frequency. An oblong speaker has two short sides to the "cone" and two long sides, and they can't possibly vibrate at the same frequency so they are less efficient and don't sound as good as round speakers. You might think you're getting a better speaker with a 4x6 oblong because there's more coner area, but this is one of those cases where bigger isn't necessarily better.

Yup, that's where they go. They aren't "holes" per se, they have these little brackets that hold them up to the grille. Not exactly the best design in my opinion. I dumped mine for a set of 6x9s in little boxes and then dumped those for a single 8" woofer in a little box. I bought quality speakers through out (components up front) and amped them up and it sounded fantastic. jamminz.gif

My truck came with a pair of small speakers under the dash, they are not wired but i´ll see if i can take em off so i can post a picture of them (by the way I'm not really certain about wich type my truck is; Laredo, pioneer or what, it just came with a: special edition side sticker)

but there´s speakers under the dash with the line cuts to allow sound to go out , no doubt

Since there has never been a clear answer, that I know of, as to what audio combination came with the 3 1/2" dash speakers, I'm gonna make a guess. I would bet that if you ordered the AM thumper, you got the pair of 3 1/2" dual-cone dash speakers. If you stepped up to the AM/FM Stereo-phunkadelic unit, you got the 5 1/4" door speakers (no dash speakers). If you blew out your monthly payment by checking off on the AM/FM Cassette, you got the 4 speaker deal with the addition of the 4x6s in the rear (and yes, they were 4x6s, never 3" or 4" round speakers). One variation to this crystal ball session may be that if you got just the AM/FM you may have gotten both the dash and door speakers. I mean, why would they bother with the dash speakers if they only used them under one scenario? Plus, it seems like a logical progression of upgrades: pair of small dash speakers, 4 speakers with 5 1/4s and 3 1/2s, and finally 4 speakers with 5 1/4s and 4x6s. Just my $.05's worth.