Using a sprayer, you would probably need 5 to 6 quarts.

A number of years ago a friend of a friend (an unemployed professional body man) painted my full-size Cherokee. He didn't do the roof -- only from the beltline down. He used a full gallon of urethane.

I had Colorado Red mixed up in the large size spray cans when I repleced the fenders on the '88. I used 2-1/2 cans (the size of the Duplicolor truck paint cans) to do two front fenders.

you will use a ridiculous amount of rattle cans. I am talking on the order of 20 cans easily. They do not go as far as you think they will, especially if you are going for a decent paint job. For example: I painted 4 17" wheels for my camaro. I painted the inside so it was well covered. Then I put 2-3 coats on the outside to get a nice gloss. I also put 2 coats of clear on the outside. These were 17x8ish wheels. It took me 6 cans of black and 3 of clear.

Buy about a gallon of paint if you go that route. You will then further reduce it in order to spray it. When I painted my dads car we used less tan a gallon, I would not think that a MJ would use more. I would go ahead and bedline the bed while you are at it. I noticed that O'Reilly's sells the gun to spray it with, it just uses a tube stuck into the paint bucket and draws it up. It will be easier to do that while you are already prepping and cleaning.

you will use a ridiculous amount of rattle cans. I am talking on the order of 20 cans easily. They do not go as far as you think they will, especially if you are going for a decent paint job.

Is that so? I used less than 10 cans to do the entire thing and ask anyone's who's seen my MJ how professional it looks.

100_0644.jpg

Is that so? I used less than 10 cans to do the entire thing and ask anyone's who's seen my MJ how professional it looks.

More power to you, It took me 5 cans to get a good coat on a trailer I used to haul a motorcycle around. When painting a vehicle I would just prefer to do it with a gun. The spray never lasts as long as I want it to, and I have better quality control with the gun. don't have to worry as much about the possibility of variations in the paint that comes in a rattle can.

What kind of paint did you use. I sprayed the wheels I was talking about with Duplicolor's automotive enamel in the same color as my car. It coated increadibly well, but the cans did not last as long as I hoped.

LEAD when you painted yours did you sand or primer any of it or just spray the new color on top?

Taken from a previous post, PM me if you have any more questions.

As far as the paint goes I pretty much did everything "WRONG" to get the best results. I've done my fair share of paint jobs on other vehicles, but this is the 1st time I did it via rattlecan. Here are some tips:

1) Cover any rust/bare metal with primer.

2) Do not paint w/primer over everything. The factory paint job holds just fine. Actually I found the factory paint to let the new paint adhere better than any primered spots did.

3) Sand it down smooth with a mid-grade sandpaper. Sand everything that you can to scuff it up as the paint will adhere better.

4) Try to do it in 1 coat. I got better results doing 1 thick coat than I did trying to do 2-3 coats. It takes some time to do it with 1 coat, but the end results look a TON better and it does not look like it's been rattle canned.

5) Do it in sections. It helps since your doing it in 1 coat to not try to do it all at once. Pic a panel and paint it.

6) Use a non-gloss and non-flat paint. I used a Satin and it turned out very well. Flat is hard to get a good finish with, and gloss shows to much error and makes it look like a rattle can job. Once again a SATIN will give you best results (in my opinion).

7) DO NOT WET-SAND AN ALREADY PAINTED PANEL.

8.) Do not use a clear coat.

Like I said, if you know anything about painting you'll tell me I'm crazy. This is based on my experience and anyone who's seen the paint job in person can attest to how good it looks for $30 worth of spray paint.

to LEAD:

i think I'm gonna try rattle can because of how well yours came out. any input on the satin black rustoleum spray? thats what i want to use.

I've used satin black rustoleum and thought it came out pretty good.. You should pick you up one of those can triggers for sure.. You know it turns the can into a gun and you just pull the trigger and spray. Makes it a hell'a lot easier to use the rattle cans... saves your thumb too!!

Those trigger guns for the rattle cans are quite nice, but you have to be very careful with them as the mist from the paint likes to build up around the front edge of the gun and drip on your work if you tip it down at all. Check if frequently and keep it clean.

to LEAD:

i think I'm gonna try rattle can because of how well yours came out. any input on the satin black rustoleum spray? thats what i want to use.

I don't think I've used the Satin Black before. I think I always use Semi-Flat for the hood vents/trim pieces.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'd have to double check. But my memory says I use the Semi-Flat instead as it matches closer to the factory black. I just use it for trim pieces so I don't' know what it would look like covering a larger area.

EDIT: Yes I used Semi-Flat, this is the largest area I've painted with that color. Can't give much feedback as to what it would look like on the entire Jeep...

guards4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Half gallon of John Deere Yellow, marginal prep and over black paint even. Took three coats...

And below, the Ranger is painted with a local ranch store camo paint, 2 quarts...

A friend of mine squirted both paint jobs. The yellow is realy farm equipment paint. The OD green went on real easy according to my friend. Both paint jobs were done in my garage even...

I have 90% of the cab done and I have used 6 1/2 cans. Mostly one coat. Going to decide on second coat once I finish. So far I don't think I'll need one.

Also contimplating a clear coat... Any thoughts?

CW

Hey cw you should put some clear on that.. I think it'll look gook. + the clear will add lots more protection.

Well according to the can... I am supposed to spray the clear with in one hour or AFTER 24 hours.

I tried it with in an hour...

I figured, OK.. Live and learn, no biggie its just a small spot. I can easily fix it...

I decided to wait the longer than 24 and shoot it. I sprayed the DS fender and door first night so its closer to 36 hours.. LONG time over the 24 recommended right...

I actually spilled my beer throwing the can into the woods all the while uttering obscenity's. SO, NO clear coat for me!!

I specifically bought the same brand and kind recommended by Rustoleum. NFG!!!!

SO, now I have to strip/sand/re-coat the fender when I tackle the door inner jambs and under the hood.

Other than that its done and looks great!!

10 cans this far. Maybe a couple more to bring the grand total to 12 cans. 3.12 per can, + tape, sand paper as well as freezer paper for masking paper makes it a grand total of $49.94. Came out GREAT for a $50 paint job!!!

CW