over my head / hot water

shawn

when u live on an isolated part of the coast and there's only like 5 mj's for many, many miles in any direction ....................... well , i just couldnt resist this barn find. - $300. - but i don't really know what i have. - guy says it will run good with a battery - and brakes 4 the back.

I'm kinda new to these and the rear end is different from mine and the CAs are aftermarket , i guess----- just got it home and dark now so tomorrow i will spray the mold and moss off and try and start it.

IMG_5220.JPG

IMG_5212.JPG

IMG_5216.JPG

IMG_5219.JPG

IMG_5223.JPG

wife will b home from work soon and its in her parking spot and she doesnt know about it -- maybe i should get on those dishes ! [/img]

lucky bastid

dana 44 rear axle

what motor and trans?

runs/drives? or you just towed it home?

it's got a small lift on it, BUT you have a problem...

the rear wheel isn't centered. if i remember correctly, it's about as far forward in the wheel well as a cherokee rear spring would make it.

so, start looking for new rear springs because those WON'T work. period. the shackle angle will be all wrong...can you take pictures of them? also won't flex properly.

but, for the price, you did just fine

edit:

on second look, I've no idea what those springs are out of, but it's not from a comanche and not likely cherokee springs...not with seven leaves and no overload leaf.

get MJ rear springs and 2" shackles and you should be good on lift..it's a mild lift on there anyways

3" lift I see? nice find got the specs on it tranny engine...etc..

4.0 ,5 spd, no sway bar links, rear slider, box liner, buckets,console, saggy headliner, rockers gone, rusty box sides above flairs, no rear brakes, folder full of receipts (that i havnt looked in yet), NO registration and ive never heard it run (but believe it will) and those dubious rear springs. - oh ya , and an excellent bush guard and a canopy.

oh well, we'll see.

HPIM0689.JPG

HPIM0685a.jpg

06830708.JPG

The D44 alone is worth the $300 you paid for the truck.

I would hook the sway bar up if you will be driving it on the street.

oh , i would 4 sure. i had them off on a '92 cherokee 4 a while and it was ok driving around in a small town but it was DEFINITELY NOT SAFE ON THE HIGHWAY.

On a side note, does anybody know what would b a good cleaner to get that gren mould/moss/fungas off of the exterior. i was thinking amonia or some bleach in soapy water.

Definitely worth the $300, and has potential.

Dunno what to do about the rear springs. Can you post a better picture of one of the leaf packs? Looks like it's still spring-under, so he probably either did an AAL or Mickey Moused his own spring pack. The axle may end up centered again if you remove some of the lift -- if the main leaves are original MJ. Looks to me like seven leaves in there, w/o the stock overload leaf underneath. If you can figure out which are the originals, maybe remove one of the additions and that may bring things back closer to where they belong.

Looks like the tie rod in the front steering is bent.

Is it just an optical illusion, or does the one rear wheel sit way forward, while the other side is centered in the wheel well?

See JeepcoMJ post :nuts:

:headpop:

Okay, all calmed down again :D

I did read that post. But why does the other side seem to be centered in the wheel well?

Is it just an optical illusion, or does the one rear wheel sit way forward, while the other side is centered in the wheel well?

See JeepcoMJ post :nuts:

:headpop:

Okay, all calmed down again :D

I did read that post. But why does the other side seem to be centered in the wheel well?

Most likley because the axle was not installed properly and even more so the case being there are unknown spring packs under the jeep.

I fixed it. You had the closing tag at the start, and the opening tag at the close.

Looks like he's put two additional leaves into the spring packs and kept ehe stock leaves. Which means the lift is accomplished by pivoting the axle 9and wheels) down and forward from the front spring eye. Your photos don't show the rear shackcle, but I'll guess it's probably pointed mostly forward as opposed to being basically vertical like it should be.

Those are basically stock size tires. That truck doesn't need a lift. I'd bring it back down to stock height, or maybe a 1" or 2" lift at most.

How was the front lifted?

Yes, a definite score, but you would have to find someone that is either VERY desperate or VERY stupid to pay $650 for that rear axle. $300 - $400 ... maybe and that would still be a little high. Personally, I would never give more than $200 - $250 for one unless it was already geared & locked.

Sorry to get off track. I wish I could come across one like that ( as I'm sure most guys on here do), but I just don't have that kind of good fortune.

That price is dependent on where you live..

Round here 500 is not awefull as long as its clean with good brakes.

First one I bought was 400, second 350 and the last one really clean from an MJ with 3:55's and I paid 500. He was asking 600, told me I could have it for 550... got it for 500. But it was nice with new drums and a BOLT IN!!!

CW

• 3 weeks later...

cleaned up and on the road! runs fantastic and sounds great. its more like what i was lookin 4 when i bought my eliminator. new (2 me) starter motor and cup holder brings me to a total of $325. ---- the fun continues....

• 2 weeks later...

the update -i'm really enjoying this pick-up!

IMG_5454.JPG

it had a binder in it full of reciepts - one was for a new clutch and a new motor 40,000 km ago. - every peny ever spent on it i guess.

i raised the rear flares last night to remove some rust.

IMG_5496.JPG

and am doing so "cw" style rocker covers- but they won't be finished til i get back from alberta in 2 weeks.

HPIM0689.JPG