MJ Rear Bumper Reviews...

Greetings fellow MJ enthusiasts... I thought I would ask if any of you

can give me a review of any of these rear bumpers?...

Comments?, Concerns?, Complaints?... Used any other of the companies products? Tomken RockRails perhaps?

1) Tomken Machine

http://www.tomken.com/detail.php?id=360

2) Rock Ratz (which I would have to track down a used one)

http://www.rockratz.com/comanchebumpers.html

3) JC OffRoad (which comes unfinished, and adds about $150 in powdercoating costs)

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MJST2R&Category_Code=MJB

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

I have never seen the Tomken or the RockRatz bumpers before now.

The JCR bumper is brand new to the market and was designed using a truck from one of our club members here ;)

The only thing I can go on here is looks...and based on that, I prefer the JCR bumper personally. :thumbsup:

I looked into having a buddy weld up a custom bumper and he said he could do it for about $100 over the JC price...

I decided to nix it based on his work load, my work load, and adding the powdercoat bill/ lagistics into the situation...

I was trying to get ahold of a RockRatz bumper and put this item on hold... decided lighting was more important...

The thing about the JC bumper is I would have to do the powder coat thing...

Thanks for your input either way!

Welcome to the club :thumbsup: .

Protofab (http://www.protofab4x4.com) is now making a rear bumper with an optional swing out tire carrier for the LWB and SWB MJ's->

Mike has not updated his website with picture and pricing yet, but he is working on it. I was told the pricing would be in line with his XJ bumpers. They come unfinished too. Check out my build-up if you need to see more pictures of the bumper. :cheers: - Rich

Welcome to the club man. I actually prefer tubular style bumpers. I have one on mine. It was actually for an XJ. The width of it is a little short but I like it. Other than that I have heard only good things about jcroffroad and I probally would have went there to get my bumpers but I found the tubular style first and had my heart set on them. Anyway good luck w/ your search. Shane

Welcome to the club man. I actually prefer tubular style bumpers. I have one on mine. It was actually for an XJ. The width of it is a little short but I like it. Other than that I have heard only good things about jcroffroad and I probally would have went there to get my bumpers but I found the tubular style first and had my heart set on them. Anyway good luck w/ your search. Shane

I actually ordered and had shipped to me a tubular like that and I was told that it would fit...

but it didn't... it was a Rugged Ridge... I had to ship it back... shipping WA to FL back and forth sux!

Thanks Oconee Off Road!...

So did you have to modify that to make it bolt up?

Welcome to the club :thumbsup: .

Protofab (http://www.protofab4x4.com) is now making a rear bumper with an optional swing out tire carrier for the LWB and SWB MJ's->

Mike has not updated his website with picture and pricing yet, but he is working on it. I was told the pricing would be in line with his XJ bumpers. They come unfinished too. Check out my build-up if you need to see more pictures of the bumper. :cheers: - Rich

That looks like a sweet set up... I might have to call them this week and get a quote!

Now that's the type info I was lookin for...

How long have you been running that for?

Wheeled it much? If so how has the swing arm joint held up?

That looks like a sweet set up... I might have to call them this week and get a quote!

Now that's the type info I was lookin for...

How long have you been running that for?

Wheeled it much? If so how has the swing arm joint held up?

:cheers: I think it is the nicest looking bumper ever :brows: . I just got it completely mounted last month. I have only been able to wheel it back and forth to work right now, so no off road trials. The guys at Protofab beat the #$%@ out of their stuff, so I imagine it would hold up very well. What I can tell you so far ~ it is built really well - bullet proof well. I had the side of the bumpers extended out for more protection and even the guys at Brown could not manage to bend those extensions at all. The bumper lined up exactly on either side. This is the second MJ bumper that Protofab has made and it went on without a hitch, so I am very impressed. The prototype is on another one of our CC members MJ, but I can never remember his user name (sorry). I only had to drill two extra holes for the support - SWB trucks may already have the holes in the frame. The swing out arm is built following the same bullet proof mentality. Mike says they run their rigs with two swing-out carriers – one for the spare, and the other for coolers, jerry cans, extraction equipment, etc. I drove mine around with a larger 33’’ tire (33x13.50x15) and high lift jack with out a peep, squeak, or rattle – like it wasn’t even there. The lock down mechanism is really nice too. The joints are easily removed if replacement was desired. Please contact Mike and tell him you’re interested in a few MJ products, because I am trying to get him motivated about making sliders for our trucks ;) I hope that helps 8) - Rich

Mytruck was one of the trucks used to fab the JCR rear bumper. Although I have not been offroad with it yet I would have to say it looks like a very well built piece. And rustoleum makes a hammered finish rattle can that is quite tough, looks good and is much cheaper than powder coating. I would say go with the JCR bumper. :chillin:

I've never seen RockRatz's rear MJ bumper, but I have seen their front MJ/XJ bumper. I was not impressed. The tubular style didn't fit well with the body style at all. If the rear MJ bumper is similar I would stay away from it.

Willy

I've never seen RockRatz's rear MJ bumper, but I have seen their front MJ/XJ bumper. I was not impressed. The tubular style didn't fit well with the body style at all. If the rear MJ bumper is similar I would stay away from it.

Willy

Rock Ratz is a joke...they wanted $550 bucks for a POS tube bumper that looked like crap....plus they are no longer making them or anything for that matter

Willy

Rock Ratz is a joke...they wanted $550 bucks for a POS tube bumper that looked like crap....plus they are no longer making them or anything for that matter

Good to know they are no longer dealing those monstrosities. When I first saw them I couldn't believe they actually got people to buy them. :nuts:

Willy

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally heard back from ProtoFab... $362 + 101 in shipping and it's unfinished? and what about the license plate lights?

Tomken is 540 + 45 shipping powder coated.... easier to just pay Tomken for the powder coating... rust is an issue in WWa... especially when you can't afford a garage.

• 11 months later...

Just be aware that Powder coating is not a good coating option for salty areas! Once powder coating is chipped, it will rust underneath and flake off. We build our products to be used and abused and for that reason alone, we don't put inferior coatings on them. For the same $150 price listed as cost for powder coating (which is extremely high!), take the bumper to a Line-x dealer and have a real rugged and long lasting finish on it!

As side note, our bumper has been selling for $195 for some time now. I would imagine before too long it will be going up to around $225-230.

***EDIT**** Someone emailed me this thread, I didn't realize it was nearly a year old :shake:! Sorry for btt'in an old thread :doh:

i just got my jcr rear bumper yesterday and had it painted and i put it on.i like it alot and the price was very fair.hopefully next month i'll have enough coin to buy the matching stage1 front bumper as well.the only thing i would offer different on the rear is give an option of no reciever hitch and mount the plate bracket in the middle as i'll never use the hitch hole.

***EDIT**** Someone emailed me this thread, I didn't realize it was nearly a year old :shake:! Sorry for btt'in an old thread :doh:

:rotfl2: the 2009 - 2010 thing got me too.

Reading the thread, most of the info seemed old,

but I kept checking the date, and thinking it was current :doh:

[50 times on the blackboard]"2009 was last year"[/50totbb]

... rust is an issue in WWa... especially when you can't afford a garage.

Ummm.....no it's not.

It has become this year. Several local municipalities started using salt this year because of all the morons that couldn't drive in the snow last year. :shake:

Willy