carpet

I am installing new carpet in the truck and am having issues with molding the carpet at the edges. I have tried a heat gun but its not doing too good. I have also heard of steaming the carpet? Has anyone tried this? If so tips would be great or wear to rent one. 

I have searched the web and youtube but have come up short. Thanks as always.

Just installed carpet last week. I must say it takes some time. The carpet is oversized and had to be trimmed at least a few inches around all edges. I bought carpet with the mass backing. It’s  not really shape friendly shall I say. I had a buddy with a heat gun but the carpet I feel was still too thick to make any difference. All I can say is patience. I’m probably about 80% ok with the outcome.

AC8B9C9E-6036-443C-B7B9-E51202373519.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Don't get the mass backing. 

I got the mass backing. It fit fine after I trimmed the multiple square feet of extra carpet off. The standard backing is cheap garbage and seemed to me like it would barely survive installation, let alone removal later on if necessary. The mass backing's construction is virtually identical to the OEM carpet. I was also installing it over 1/4" total of closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl.

You should not have to heat gun the carpet. I did not and it fit well everywhere except the back ridge in the floor which is "just ok" My guess is that you still need to trim some more to make it fit. You do have to trim A LOT.

Concur with letting it air out for a bit before install. I laid mine out in the basement with a set of golf clubs under the hump for a week before I installed it. This eased the creases from it being folded from shipping and after that the main challenge is slowly trimming the front edge (firewall) until the hump and seat well areas lined up. Get a few carpet knife inserts for a utility knife as these were way better with trimming the mass backed carpet.

New auto carpeting is what it is; new, ill-fitting and always recognizable as an aftermarket addition. I've done several in the past to other vehicles and have never been totally happy with the outcome in any no matter how long I futzed over the carpeting.

My carpeting was in good shape structurally; no rips, tears, or holes. But it was filthy and faded. I pulled it and took it to a local commercial carpeting place for cleaning and re-dying to a darker shade of gray. They even repaired a few spots on the backing that were flattened or missing. It came back looking like new and of course fit exactly like it did before - perfectly. I was happy with the outcome and it only cost me 75 clams. It's a good option if your existing carpet is salvageable.

5.jpg.c026a3381c1d5ddc542566e31e0a8352.jpg

Remember too 1/2 the carpet will be covered by seats and floor mats! Do the best job you can. I let my carpet ‘relax’ a few days as well before installation. Since it’s already getting a little chilly and rainy by me I wasn’t able to leave it out in the warm sun for awhile. I think that would have helped me a bit more. Remember too, don’t compare to photo above!!!...Horns truck looks like it just rolled off the assembly line!!!! Patience Grasshopper! Good luck

Slight thread jack!  Minuit - does the Dynamat help much on the noise level?

Back on topic - I cleaned and redyed my original carpet in the old ‘88 and in the ‘91.  It turned out better in the ‘91, probably because it was in better shape than the ‘88 carpet.  I’m happy with the fit and color, even though the color is not exactly right.  Guess I have slightly lower standards than Don.

54 minutes ago, Keyav8r said:

Slight thread jack!  Minuit - does the Dynamat help much on the noise level?

Back on topic - I cleaned and redyed my original carpet in the old ‘88 and in the ‘91.  It turned out better in the ‘91, probably because it was in better shape than the ‘88 carpet.  I’m happy with the fit and color, even though the color is not exactly right.  Guess I have slightly lower standards than Don.

Dynamat by itself? Not really. Maybe on the roof and the doors. The 1/4" of closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl that I put over it? Absolutely!

look up sound deadner showdown, lots if great info. I've done the CLD tiles that are for damping vibration harmonics in the panels, and tomorrow my MLV from amazon comes in, I'll be doing 1/8 closed cell foam since it's just used as a decoupler.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk