&%#$* Transfer Case

It would appear the friggin' transfer case is popping.

Chain perhaps?

Did it a year or so ago.  Got one out of a junkyard and now this one is doing it.

How new of a 231 can I put into this thing?

What fits? 

I don't want to get another "old" one again and have it last only a year.

What is this popping sound your talking about?

I've been trying to diagnose a popping noise when I let go off the clutch....

I'm thinking it may be my clutch..I've checked u-joints and they're good...but after reading This thread I may have to put it up on jackstands to check it out....

It instantly happen when let off the clutch to accerlarate after first gear...

What is this popping sound your talking about?

I've been trying to diagnose a popping noise when I let go off the clutch....

I'm thinking it may be my clutch..I've checked u-joints and they're good...but after reading This thread I may have to put it up on jackstands to check it out....

It instantly happen when let off the clutch to accerlarate after first gear...

I would assume he only gets the popping sound when 4WD is engaged?    Thats why he is thinking TC

I have heard that sound many times myself..........like mentioned above the chain (once the T-case is out) is about a 40 minute repair  :thumbsup:

It would appear the friggin' transfer case is popping.

Chain perhaps?

Did it a year or so ago.  Got one out of a junkyard and now this one is doing it.

How new of a 231 can I put into this thing?

What fits? 

I don't want to get another "old" one again and have it last only a year.

Even if you get one out of a 2001 XJ (which will have the new-style, inferior, vibration-prone output shaft), it will be 13 years old. Why not just put a chain in the one you have?

• 1 month later...

Just an update. Bought a chain on ebay. Installed pretty easily. Frankly removing the tcase from the truck was the hardest part. Sat on the workbench for a bit as other things got done first. You know how that is. Reinstalled this past weekend. All is good.

now back to the brakes. :)

When I installed a heavy duty slip yoke eliminator (for which you have to get into the case just a little bit deeper than just replacing the chain), I did it under the truck; didn't bother to take the case out from under, or even unbolt it from the transmission. Jacked up the truck, set a transmission jack under the cross member, unbolted the cross member from the frame rails and lowered it down a few inches.