Renix Emmision Timer

so I got few questions about the emmisions timer. so i decided i was gonna do interior work on the comanche. i pulled the emissions timer out and put in a safe place. you know, those safe places you forget about. can't find one online and dealer laughed at me when i asked them. i know my local junkyard has plenty of renix era jeeps that i can pull one from. my question is if I pull one from another jeep will it work in mine? from what i have read i need it to run my EGR purge solinoid. Maybe i can jump the connector? any help is appreciated

You don't need it. The timer doesn't control anything other than the light on the dashboard, and that's just a reminder to replace the oxygen sensor.

from what I've read on alldata it lists the circuit timer as one of the input signals so it will purge the egr. I'll mess with it tomorrow when i get a chance and make sure it's working. if not, Arizona registration, here I come lol

You don't need it. The timer doesn't control anything other than the light on the dashboard, and that's just a reminder to replace the oxygen sensor.

from what I've read on alldata it lists the circuit timer as one of the input signals so it will purge the egr. I'll mess with it tomorrow when i get a chance and make sure it's working. if not, Arizona registration, here I come lol

That's a crock. It's a TIMER to remind you to replace your O2 sensor at 67,500 miles or 82,500 miles. I don't remember. 

from what I've read on alldata it lists the circuit timer as one of the input signals so it will purge the egr.

If Alldata says that, Alldata is wrong. My '88 Cherokee is at 287,000+ miles and I've never replaced or reset the timer. When the light came on -- I disabled it. End of problem. It's supposed to light up after approximately 80,000 miles -- I just use multiples of 75,000 to make it simple for my feeble brain.

• 1 month later...

I have my dash apart right now, specifically that lower full length dash piece is out. I was thinking about just removing that silly timer since I have 146K miles, I guess I can just take it out and ziptie the wiring connector out of the way. What a silly device, to put it nicely. So what, it doesn't need to be changed again after another 82,500 miles? WTF.

You don't have to pull the bulb you can disable the emission timer .

You do if it's an HO. The "O2 sensor" reminder lamp is turned on by the ECU.

The thread title asks specifically about Renix.

Sorry Hornbrod I wasnt aware he had a H.O. The op said he pulled the emissions timer so wouldn't that mean it was not in the ecu ? Never worked on a H.o to verify thanks

No problem, just posted that for general info in case some HO owners were curious about the "Maint Req" lamp. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I reset mine some time ago. Probably time for it to light up again.

Please describe how you reset a disposable timer. We're all ears.

The procedure is in videos on Youtube, and has been posted several times at NAXJA over the years.

I reset mine some time ago. Probably time for it to light up again.

Please describe how you reset a disposable timer. We're all ears.

The procedure is in videos on Youtube, and has been posted several times at NAXJA over the years.

Sorry, I won't believe that until I see documented proof. Also I don't believe that a 4WD MJ is 1" or whatever taller than a 2WD MJ. Call me Mr. Skeptic.