Tools Question - Surface Rust

SuperWade2

A While back, my Father in Law gave me his Craftsman Tool set that I never even bothered to look at (I think he gave it to me during the move into our house or something and I forgot about it)...Anyhow, popped it open more or less for first time last night and there is quite a bit of Surface Rust on many of the Bits and Sockets (obviously had some water involved at some point).

Anyhow, any suggestions for cleaning up all the individual bits/sockets and case to prevent further rust... it's a pretty nice set actually, and it might be nice to have all the different stuff together in 1 set instead of all over my toolbox...

Pic of said tool-set...

img1162ey5.jpg

WD40 and a rag usually does the trick.

I was thinking about soaking in something... some of the Sockets have Rust inside that isn't going to be easy to get with a rag...and I'm lazy and would like to be able to dump the whole lot of them into a bucket of something, then just take out, dry off and toss back in the case... I have ot clean out the case too once I dump everything out.

SW2

Yea.....That rust removal video was 8)

But......I was going to say.....soak your rusty socket in PB Blaster :D

You can buy it in the spray can, or by the gallon, which would be better for this job. Soak them overnight, wipe them off.....should be done.

wait wait wait, forget all that work. You said Craftsman right. Take the whole set to Sears and they'll replace every piece in that set one by one. I did it. No reciept needed.

They will replace just for surface rust? They are all still 100 percent functional

wait wait wait, forget all that work. You said Craftsman right. Take the whole set to Sears and they'll replace every piece in that set one by one. I did it. No reciept needed.

They will replace just for surface rust? They are all still 100 percent functional

I seriously doubt it.

ULTRA-Cool... unfortunately, I got none of that stuff...

WHAT!!!! everybody needs a battery charger!! I'm def going to try it....

I have a little trickle charger, but don't think it's a continuous 2 amp or whatever that video talked about...Or at least it didn't have a setting like the dudes did..

I'm telling you. I bought a set of combination wrenches at the beginning of last fall. Never used it all winter. Pulled it out of the shed when the temp warmed up and they were all like that from the moisture. Walked into Sears said I wanted replacements and they changed out everyone.

What's messed up is that they didn't give me a problem about the $40 tool set, but they wouldn't do a stinking thing about the weed wacker, lawn tractor or plow I had for the front of it that were crap. (All Craftsman). I also took back a circular saw, cordless drill, and work lamp (Craftsman) that were worthless too. However I don't think they gave me a problem with that because I ended up buying Dewalt stuff.

I'm telling you. I bought a set of combination wrenches at the beginning of last fall. Never used it all winter. Pulled it out of the shed when the temp warmed up and they were all like that from the moisture. Walked into Sears said I wanted replacements and they changed out everyone.

What's messed up is that they didn't give me a problem about the $40 tool set, but they wouldn't do a stinking thing about the weed wacker, lawn tractor or plow I had for the front of it that were crap. (All Craftsman). I also took back a circular saw, cordless drill, and work lamp (Craftsman) that were worthless too. However I don't think they gave me a problem with that because I ended up buying Dewalt stuff.

Hey next time I get over there, it won't hurt to ask...worse they can say is NO

Craftsman hand tools have a lifetime warranty. Power tools do not.

And a floor jack is considered a power tool :nuts:

My first floor jack I bought was a craftsman 2.5 ton ($79.95). Jack unit blew a gasket, so I tried to return it under warranty only to find out it had expired. How does a lifetime warranty expire? I asked. The warranty on power tools is only 1 year was the reply. So I tried to get the jack unit to fix it, turns out that part alone was $99.95. $20 more than the entire jack had cost me.

So I went to Advance Auto Parts and bough an MVProlift 2.25 ton lifetime warranty one for $29,95 jamminz.gif

I think even they only carry a 2 year warranty anymore, though.

Craftsman hand tools have a lifetime warranty. Power tools do not.

And a floor jack is considered a power tool :nuts:

My first floor jack I bought was a craftsman 2.5 ton ($79.95). Jack unit blew a gasket, so I tried to return it under warranty only to find out it had expired. How does a lifetime warranty expire? I asked. The warranty on power tools is only 1 year was the reply. So I tried to get the jack unit to fix it, turns out that part alone was $99.95. $20 more than the entire jack had cost me.

So I went to Advance Auto Parts and bough an MVProlift 2.25 ton lifetime warranty one for $29,95 jamminz.gif

I think even they only carry a 2 year warranty anymore, though.

Yeah, I'm not happy with Sears/Craftsman. I've now switched to Lowes/Dewalt.

usually when I get a greasy rag from working, I try to wipe the parts clean before putting them away. so far, so good. PB blaster also has an anti-corrosion spray.

A tip I got a number of years back. A carpenter friend gave me a bunch of scrap cedar woods pieces to put in my toolbox drawers. I never had a rusty tool piece to deal with after that. coincidence?

BOB