Painted Emblems? Repaint or Replace?

My new 87 has been Rattlecanned and the geniuses went right over the top of all the emblems and stickers (not sure why)...anyhow I prefer the Chrome-ish front "Jeep", side "Comanche" and "4x4" and Rear "4.0Litre", etc, especially if I'm going to keep this MJ once I get it running again.

Can I clean the Spray Paint off without messing up the "chrome" surface, or would I be better off getting some Krylon Fusion or something, or just buy new (used) ones.... I have a set of the uppercase COMANCHE emblems that are in so so shape that I could use on the sides. Since I don't want to spend much $$$ on this build, I was thinking some Silver or Chrome Color Spray Paint might be the cheapest alternative, but also might look like @ss...

I've ordered a replacement sticker for the back big "J e e p" (white), because I'm too lazy to tape up and spray, and it was worth the $15 or whatever it was, and I think it will look better.

This may sound crazy to a lot of you, but I do it quite a bit with my model cars. RUBBING ALCOHOL will remove the paint, and restore them emblems back to before they were painted. Either let them soak for a couple minutes in a bath of it, and then rub away the paint that hasn't been disintegrated, or if you don't feel like taking the lazy way, there is always the method of just putting the rubbing alcohol on an old shop rag or something you don't mind getting wrecked, and well, rub it away.

SuperWade2, are you happy with the look of your rattlecan paint job? I am this close to doing it myself.

It would have been better had some prep been done...It looks like they painted right over all the stickers and everything... Not too bad, no idea what the paint looked like before. There are some spots that the spray looks too heavy and smeared just tad. More of a product of poor application than anything else I'm sure.

It's "flat black", so kind of dull... I might do so better prep and re-do the Rattle once I get it running again...

This may sound crazy to a lot of you, but I do it quite a bit with my model cars. RUBBING ALCOHOL will remove the paint, and restore them emblems back to before they were painted. Either let them soak for a couple minutes in a bath of it, and then rub away the paint that hasn't been disintegrated, or if you don't feel like taking the lazy way, there is always the method of just putting the rubbing alcohol on an old shop rag or something you don't mind getting wrecked, and well, rub it away.

Are you talking about the standard 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol that you get at the drug store or whatever... I popped one of the side "Comanche"'s off...soaked it in this stuff that I had, and it didn't TOUCH the paint, no removal, never even a little bit...

I'm thinking paint at this point...

S2 next time your at a home improvement store go to the solvent section and pick you up this stuff called MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) it will completely strip all paint off those emblems and leave them all shiny..

ive heard of this stuff. if I'm correct its the stuff you put your nasty gummy paintbrushes in to look new right?

S2 next time your at a home improvement store go to the solvent section and pick you up this stuff called MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) it will completely strip all paint off those emblems and leave them all shiny..

And it smells good too!! I've used a wire wheel in my drill press to take paint off, surprisingly the chrome was still intact, just needed a little polishing.

mite sound dumb, but try to find some 1 around you to powder coat the. id do it but i live in tx

Will this work? The Comanche emblems are plastic with a chrome overlay (on mine anyway), powder coating requires temps of ~400°F won't they melt or deform?

MEK Stuff didn't touch the paint either... Soaked, rubbed, Soaked, nada, nothing...

I finally took a wire wheel to a couple of the letters of the Comanche badge and it finally took the black paint off, but left the chrome all pitted and scratched...

I tried some "chome" like paint, but it's more silvery looking than chrome...

I think I'll just leave em black and slowly replace with used ones as I can get em cheap (anyone have any CHEAP badges, I need all of em, Front Jeep, Side Comanches, Side 4x4, rear 4.0L, etc...)

Wade

Paint them all over the color of choice then buy some Chrome tape from your FLAPS, comes in various widths and lengths. Use an exacto knife to remove the chrome tape from erythang but the letter face. Clear coat over it and you should be way better off than you are now.

Paint them all over the color of choice then buy some Chrome tape from your FLAPS, comes in various widths and lengths. Use an exacto knife to remove the chrome tape from erythang but the letter face. Clear coat over it and you should be way better off than you are now.

FLAPS?