GOLD MEMBER Build up

3306352133_a3c5b89786.jpg

I dropped her off at the alignment shop Saturday morning. I need to get some of those cam washers for the passenger side lower control arm mount on the axle. The ol 2wd straight axle didn’t have the slot in it like this one does. You can tell when your going around a corner and the truck goes straight for a split second. Other than that the jeep drives great. Yesterday morning I ordered gears and lockers. Hopefully will be ready to rock and roll soon!! :ack:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running 6.5 spring in the front and the stock leaf sprung over in the rear. I only wanted to run 4.5” spring but I didn’t want to chop my finders up too much. I will defiantly do some good flexing pictures once I get my gears and lockers installed. I was thinking if I wasn’t happy with it I would just do long arms and coils, but some ol kat at the alignment shop was talking junk about my rear leafs (saying that I needed coils to do anything). It kinda pissed me off, ill show that M-Fer what leafs can do!!!! :headpop: :headpop: :fool:

Santa in the brown truck stopped by! I got a set of 4:10’s, rebuild kit, lock right, for the dana 30, and a lock right for my 8.8. The reason I chose to get lock right is because they are located in liberty SC. If they ever break, witch I don’t think they will. You can always take them to there plant and they will just hand you a new one! Its only a short 30min drive from work. That beats sending one through the mail!!

3313491665_a0755254ec.jpg

n1121002635_337968_3464936.jpg

I gave my jeep a quick paint job. I don’t plan on painting it until summer time, so in the mean time ill run the flat black. That way I can scratch it up for now and not have any worries. When its completely done ill paint it back gold. I just don’t like riding it around when its 3 different colors. Plus it only cost me about 15 bucks to paint it. You can't beat that! I think she looks mean!!

I used Rust-Oleum flat black, rattle can!

Today I drove my jeep to work for the first time. I guess I never noticed that it idles high when your sitting at a stop light. Its at 1500 rpm’s, I guess with a good tune up it might simmer back down. Not real sure, I guess I need to do some research! :typing:

Well my jeep is at the shop getting the gears and lockers installed. They called this afternoon to tell me that I need a ring gear spacer for the 4:10’s to go on the stock carrier. Dang I wish I would have known that before, but o well. I'm looking all over the internet and haven’t been able to find a ring gear spacer for a dana 30 anywhere! man this sucks, I thought I was gonna get to go wheel’n this weekend! :wall: :headpop:

if any one knows where i can get one let me know!!!

Last night I was just about to pull all of my hair out! I was madder than heck; I couldn’t find one of these things any where on the enter net. I tried to call randy’s ring and pinion last night but they where closed. I’m under the impression they would just make me one if they didn’t have one. After I took a chill pill I was like” Man I am going to have to wait forever for them to make this part for me! And with shipping its going to take years for it to get here possibly century’s. Every body is charging around $40 - $60 for this dang part! Why don’t I just make my own????!!!!” :hmm: DING DING DING!!!

:banana: 3331635526_c1edcc0a44.jpg

It may not be as good as the right carrier, but ill take my chances. Its not like I'm putting this thing in the back of a mustang. For what it is I think it will do fine. Maybe if I had more time I would have tried to get the right carrier, but my jeep is in peaces at the shop right now and its hard for the guys to make a living if they can't work because my jeep is in there way.

:huh???: In my experience...there is no such thing as a "ring gear spacer" and I would not trust someone to work on my vehicle that would even suggest something like that. I am sure you can make one, but then you are going to have to find some new, longer ring gear bolts to be able to mount it too...and that may be a challenge in itself. Good luck on that one as I see mass-destruction in your future if you go the spacer route... :ack:

:huh???: In my experience...there is no such thing as a "ring gear spacer" and I would not trust someone to work on my vehicle that would even suggest something like that. I am sure you can make one, but then you are going to have to find some new, longer ring gear bolts to be able to mount it too...and that may be a challenge in itself. Good luck on that one as I see mass-destruction in your future if you go the spacer route... :ack:

x2! never heard of a ring gear spacer, nor would i ever use one.

That is such a bad idea for so many reasons. Just go to the junkyard and pull the carrier out of a 4.10 D30. They are not that hard to find. The ring gear is subjected to tremendous forces. Adding longer bolts and another surface for it to slip on is not a good idea. :doh:

Admittedly it's not going in a Mustang. It would have a much better chance of surviving if it was. I can't see that lasting long with 35s and much wheeling.

Willy

• 2 weeks later...

2584_1106013166803_1121002635_359629_1384940_n.jpg

My jeep has been idling around 1500 rpm’s, so I read about folks cleaning there throttle bodies to stop the high idle. With it being raining and nasty out side I decided to give it a shot. I disassembled the throttle body and put the peaces into some carb cleaner.

2584_1106013206804_1121002635_359630_8377981_n.jpg

After a good twenty to twenty five minutes I removed the parts from the cleaner and wiped them down, then re-assembled the throttle body. Maybe if I would have left the parts in for a day they would have came out looking cleaner. But in a few weeks I plan on installing my newer HO head, intake and throttle body.

2584_1106013246805_1121002635_359631_7411614_n.jpg

Well I thought the throttle body was kinda dingy looking until I installed it. I guess I didn’t realize how dirty my engine compartment was. To my amazement the high idling was a thing of the past. Now she idles some where around 750 to 800 rpms. No sputtering or anything, just a nice quiet idle. I wish I would have done this sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

n1121002635_378008_6262491.jpg

n1121002635_378009_885782.jpg

n1121002635_378011_6010527.jpg

Well I'm not as impressed as I though I would be. I feel like it should flex a little bit better in the front. The rear is bottoming out the passenger side shock. I pulled the jeep all the way up on top of the truck bet but the rear driver side tire was coming off the ground. I can change my shocks around and it should help me get a little more droop in the rear. :oops:

• 5 months later...

Whats up guys? Well I took the jeep to Gulches ORV park today and wheeled it some. I was very impressed. The km2’s were gripping and rapping around like a dream, the jeep preformed flawlessly. I never had to be winched or needed to turn around. I haven’t been wheeling in 3 or 4 year, I did things that I wasn’t comfortable doing, but I had no problems doing them. The lockers were awesome! The only thing that hate that this jeep doesn’t have that my old one did is a twin stick dana 300, and an automatic transmission. But even so, there was no stopping her. :clapping: :yes: O' yeah i didnt break anything!!! :rotf:

10122_253702405245_871595245_8745755_5892265_n.jpg

10122_253702030245_871595245_8745752_6603516_n.jpg

10122_253702795245_871595245_8745765_2781197_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today I changed the oil in my jeep for the first time. No big deal you say. Well this is the first time ive changed oil on a renix motor. So I got my oil and filter like I have for every other 4.OL jeep ive ever had and changed it no problem. Until I cranked it up and moved it about 20 feet. I hope out and look under it to see if there is any signs of a drip and to my surprise there is a two foot wide line of oil from where I started the jeep to where I stopped it on the concrete. Dang what the heck, come to find out the renix motor has 20 x 1.5 thread for the oil filter and I got an oil filter for a HO engine. I felt so stupid! Its bad when you have to get out the presser washer to clean up the drive way when its already raining then go back to town and get more oil and another filter after all that. I guess it was cold and I was rushing, I didn’t think much about it only took about a turn in a half to get the oil filter tight instead of 5 or 6 rotations. Hard lesson learned…. I guess it could have been worse. :wall: :doh: :wall: :grrrr: :rant: :dunce: