GOLD MEMBER Build up

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok let me give a better explanation of what is happening now that I'm back to my computer and not typing on an ipod.

Basically when I'm stopped and I need to make a right or left hand turn its like the jeep is in 4high, and the jeep lunges and jolts with a pop coming from the front end. It will also pop every once in a while like it’s the locker. I stopped at a stop sign, put the jeep in 4 high and it jumped around like it should, but with no popping!!??

I'm trying to diagnose the situation. I have ax-15 to np231 to drive shaft to hp dana30 with lock right locker and I also slid the collar over in the cad so it is locked full time.

The thing is ive been running the jeep like this for a good while and this is the first time ive had any problems out of it.

So what is it, np231 is making it full time 4wd, is the lock right failing, or maybe something stupid like not enough doping in the axle???? Please help!!!

:ack:

i think what your problem is what was happening to mine. Since you have the locker in the front and the CAD locked all the time the front wheels when turning are going to chip b/c they are trying to spin the same speed. I had mine that way and had the same problems.

I went with a posi-lock unit and my problem went away :cheers:

Maybe your Tcase shifter linkage is a little off and not COMPLETELY shifting into two wheel drive. I don't think the CAD would matter, my truck has one piece axles and no problems. Any way cool build, glad to see you got it going. Kinda surprising to see how similiar your truck and mine are. Mines a flatbed, 35 KM2s, 8.8 and drab paint.

Sorry about that pete.

I’m not running the jeep 4wd leaver; I have a wrench sticking up there the floor with one link connecting it to the t-case. It doesn’t have any stops like the factory handle does so it can’t be that. I took the cover off of the cad last night and slid the collar over so it wasn’t on both shafts. All that did was make me be able to steer the jeep on the road when it starts popping. But it is still doing the popping. I'm fairly positive its in the case. So I'm happy about that. I was wanting to upgrade to a dana 300 anyway. I guess until then ill go slide the collar back over in the axle and just take my drive shaft out. Ill throw it behind the seat incase my buds want to go wheeling.

Thanks man!

I do have plans to exo this truck. All it takes is one good roll and the whole truck is toast. My main goal with this truck is so that I can beat the snot out of it, roll it over, flop it back onto the rubbers and drive it home with only scratches on the tubes. I would have had all that done by now, but I’m bad about getting side tracked on other projects. I'm sure yall know how that goes.

I finally got a few free minutes to have a good heart to heart with my jeep tonight. I just hopped on the creeper and slid under there to take a quick look, and to check for loose bolts. I'm slightly embarrassed of what I found, but never the less I'm glad I found it in time. The nut on my rear yoke had come off of the shaft. Now it makes perfect scents why it was acting the way it was. The reason it was popping when ever I took off at a turn is because the suspension unloads and the yoke spines would slip. That’s what caused the popping. And the reason it didn’t do that in 4 wheel high is because it was sharing the load between both axles. I fill like a dummy but I'm glad I checked it out.

17066_1292864597972_1121002635_955404_7153106_n.jpg

run away yoke!

17066_1292864637973_1121002635_955405_3597977_n.jpg

you can see the nut just sitting there.

17066_1292864717975_1121002635_955406_121536_n.jpg

doing what i should have done the first time. LOCK TIGHT!!!

17066_1292864797977_1121002635_955407_3091679_n.jpg

i put it all back together and she drove like a champ. Well except for the other umpteen thousand things that’s messed up. but that’s just one less thing. Its sad to say, but that find was the highlight of my week. :ack:

• 6 months later...