GOLD MEMBER Build up

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all thanks guys for all the complements, those always help give motivation to keep going. This morning I wipe all the wd40 off the tubes and hit it up with some black paint.

3088361226_a9f88b1bd9.jpg

3087527807_e0d4fbfec5.jpg

Its getting closer to being back on the road again. But there are a few parts that I sold that I shouldn’t have. I need my old headlight bucket seats back, when I sold my truck bed I forgot to take my tail light wiring out of it, and I should have kept the rear fender flairs so I could have put them on the front like goblaser_6 did on Mistress Moneypit so nicely. :fool:

O'well you live and you learn!!! :doh:

and I should have kept the rear fender flairs so I could have put them on the front like goblaser_6 did on Mistress Moneypit so nicely. :fool:

O'well you live and you learn!!! :doh:

Thanks. Doesnt everything look so much better with a coat of paint on it?

So I decided to do a little trimming on the front tonight. At first I was just going to trim the bottom off with the flares on. But I decided not to be lazy for once, and that I should take them off. As soon as I touched the inner fenders they started busting and breaking. Those things were very brittle. I guess they deserve to be, heck they have been down there for 19 years. I plan on cleaning up the flares and trimming them also and putting them back on. I know the tires will get into them but for now it will be ok until I can find some better flares. I really like the bushwacker flares but I doubt I can only buy the front two.

3094929728_7405ed9e8b.jpg

3094952894_a437daff0b.jpg

Leftovers anyone?? :yes:

3110523596_ec25100049.jpg

I slapped some tape on the rear bumper to dimension were the tail lights should be.

3109692279_3915d7c745.jpg

I had to go buy a 2.5” hole saw to cut these out this nice. I also filed it smooth. The first hole went pretty quick but the drill broke as soon as I started the other side. I had to tear the drill apart and fix it. So it took a little longer than expected to complete this job. But that’s life!

3110525642_51a721fdf5.jpg

Well I think it looks pretty descent. The tail lights are les likely to be knocked off now or busted. That’s what I was shooting for. I need to pop them out and re-paint the bumper. Other than that I'm happy with it. :thumbsup:

3110523596_ec25100049.jpg

I slapped some tape on the rear bumper to dimension were the tail lights should be.

3109692279_3915d7c745.jpg

I had to go buy a 2.5” hole saw to cut these out this nice. I also filed it smooth. The first hole went pretty quick but the drill broke as soon as I started the other side. I had to tear the drill apart and fix it. So it took a little longer than expected to complete this job. But that’s life!

3110525642_51a721fdf5.jpg

Well I think it looks pretty descent. The tail lights are les likely to be knocked off now or busted. That’s what I was shooting for. I need to pop them out and re-paint the bumper. Other than that I'm happy with it. :thumbsup:

Ill try to get some pictures of the suspension soon. Maybe ill try to flex it a little after I trim my finders. (Witch probably won't be to good being that I don’t have the front geared yet and the rear is open.)

The tires are 35/12.5/15. I wanted to get 37’s but then I would have to regear, and get bigger wheels. More strain on the axles bla bla bla. I am planning to drive this one a lot so I didn’t want to go too big. Plus I believe in the 37” + curse. Its something I made up but it seems to be true. You can slap 35’s on just about anything and be ok, but as soon as you go 37’s every thing that could go wrong will go wrong. Unless you take the proper precautions, but that’s usually consist of spending more coin that you want to.

:smart:

Today I finally put some money into my rear suspension. I bought a set of xj shackles from an old friend for $10. Well what I’m doing I guess you could call it the poor boy revolver shackle. They don’t twist or anything but they do work to a extent. I know a lot of folks don’t like the revolvers and they have even been on some worst 4x4 parts list. Folks can talk bad about them until there blue in the face, I don’t care. I ran a set of revolvers on my last jeep and I loved them! I think this is an easy upgrade that every body should do. I took a quick measurement from were it was sitting and with it extended and I got a difference in 7.50 inches. I couldn’t extend it all the way because of my boot leg way of lifting it up wasn’t working. The only real way to test it is to put it into a bind on a trail. I am a little worried about it over extending. If this does happen I will weld a little stop on the bottom shackle, but for right now I want to test it out and see how it does with out it.

3123656921_facc27cc0e.jpg

3124486116_8a258950e2.jpg

I have also done that set up before on a yj. It works very well also!! The only problem I had with that was when the bolts got loose it kinda shimmied around. I should have tack welded something. but I do like that set up. :yes:

3126791117_ae85f57014.jpg

I finally got around to trimming the fenders. You can see where I have already drilled the holes and have a line to cut by. I am basically moving the flair up and back some.

3126794511_2e5f214f85.jpg

Look mom one hand!!!

3127626554_de2abeb638.jpg

I ran out of cutting disk so I had to stop for the night. I placed the flair on the fender just to see how its going to look once I get the rest of the fender trimmed.

3133329727_37dfd90b69.jpg

3133334459_749295a50b.jpg

I stayed up late last night finishing the flairs. So today I took the jeep around the yard a little. I didn’t see or hear any tire rubbing the fenders or flairs. But with the jeep not being in 4wd, open rear end, and stock shocks on the back its hard to flex it out. Also my parking break isn’t the strongest right now. I took a few pics. Nothing great but shes coming along nicely.

Camjeep3 ill probably take the jeep to http://www.gulchesorvpark.com when its done. Witch will hopefully be in the next month or two. But with my luck it will probably be around summer time. :doh:

• 1 month later...

3279825935_85c93bbcb7.jpg

3280652806_5110c874b7.jpg

I made some hangers to hang the tank further back. I'm hoping this will help put more weight on the back end. As you can see its kinda jerry rigged right now. I just wanted to see if every thing was going to work. so I got it going and took the jeep for I ride around the block.

Nice build. Watch out though those 8.8 flanges break alot. Bring spares. Or get a yoke for it like a stock rear end.

IRO in my book is not the best stuff, the arms are anything but high clearance and i agree on the upper arm mounting issues and lack of quality reviews. But guess we will see what the future holds. Nice resto otherwise.