got pulled over yesterday afternoon

tkgibbs27

and apparently my truck sits high enough that i have to have mud flaps on and i "must have" a rear bumper. thought it was kind of odd. cop said he'd let me off with a warming and advised that i pick up some cheap mud flaps and get a bumper on real soon. told him i got a bumper on the way, and i went and picked up some universal mud flaps for 20$.

MUD FLAPS...?? Why would you be forced to do such a thing to your truck? :nuts:

I guess we really are spoiled living in Florida when we drive stuff like this on the road and don't get bothered... :D

(2.5 tons, 49" IROKs)

thats a bunch of malarky. as long as your fenders cover your tires and you don't have more than 1.5" sticking out on each side you are fine. Dads a cop, i asked to make sure my 67 was legal. lol

haha well it'll bee a good thing when i go to florida this summer them.

my tires are within the fenders, they cop told me it just sits to high from the ground, and i am thinking he's crazy it's barely higher than my last truck, due to the tire size.

no i looked for the naked chick ones, didn't have any. i haven't been bothered yet either, i have had dozens of cops behind me driving around town, on the highway and in oregon. only time i have ever been pulled over was because my ball hitch was in the way of my license plate with the 86 mj.

i think it's pretty stupid, because i saw vehicles sitting higher than mine, with no mud flaps. in fact, there's a toyota with 37s in richland, i didn't see no mud flaps. ha i will try to get a picture of the yota.

Just because they don't have mudflaps, doesn't mean they shouldn't have them.

I built a removable bracket onto the bottom of my rear bumper both to hold the flaps and to get my bumper low enough to be legal.

in oregon they can give you a ticket and require flaps if your vehicle is too high? they seem to target certain people? though, like me. the flap must be just below the center line of the rim and tire. if you give them any crap, then you go for the fuuuuul inspection. i know this! i fought the ticket and cop for 9 months. guess what--------- i lost. judge fined me $90.00, and it was fixed. they can ---------- the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :D

Laws vary by state regarding mud flaps, bumpers and how far tires can be outside the fenders.

Some states don't require rear bumpers, which might have been a good thing for Toyota 4wd trucks in the 80s. A rear bumper was optional on those (and quite an expensive option). Most states do require them now, though, and at most x inches off the ground, to prevent people from being beheaded when they rear-end you. That is why semi trailers all have low rear bumpers now.

As far as mud flaps and fenders, that may have to do with your tires kicking up stones off the road into someone else's windshield.

that's a pretty good idea there pete.

well here in washington the cops pretty much come up with any kind of bull$#!& just as long as they can pull you over and give you a ticket, else where, like in florida the cops follow the rules rather than make the rules, washington cops are about the biggest dick heads there are.

figured it had to be something about making sure peoples windshields don't get busted up and what not. not a bad thing to have them i suppose, just really didn't want to waste the very little bit of pocket money i have. and thought it was pretty ridiculous that there's a requirement for both.

The bad thing is.. a Police Officer doesn't have to pull over every violation, most only pull over what they can get convictions for. As far as certain states Officers being a--holes, well the taxpayers elect the Sheriff, and the Sheriff sets policies that he wants to be enforced. Remember the law might be stupid, but it is to protect you and other motorists. Example: You kick a rock up.... Dude in the newer truck gets piseed... he follows you and proceedes to take his busted windshield out on your rig/person. OR he gets your insurance info, and files a claim against you for it. I knwo it is an extreme example.. but can and does happen.

The bad thing is.. a Police Officer doesn't have to pull over every violation, most only pull over what they can get convictions for. As far as certain states Officers being a--holes, well the taxpayers elect the Sheriff, and the Sheriff sets policies that he wants to be enforced. Remember the law might be stupid, but it is to protect you and other motorists. Example: You kick a rock up.... Dude in the newer truck gets piseed... he follows you and proceedes to take his busted windshield out on your rig/person. OR he gets your insurance info, and files a claim against you for it. I knwo it is an extreme example.. but can and does happen.

well i figured if anyone would pull me over it would be a stater for it since they are bigger a--holes than the city cops, but i have met some nice stater's and all the city cops i have talked to personally are nice guys, especially the one who let me off of a felony last year, i won't get into that story, i am not at all proud of the decision i made then. guess it's a good thing he told me about it, i don't need some guy chasing after me for a busted windshield, especially when i can't afford it. they don't look half bad anyways.

haha well it'll bee a good thing when i go to florida this summer them.
If you are going to be anywhere near the Orlando area, shoot me a message and we can try to get together. Would be cool to go wheelin' if we can, but maybe just to meet and have a beer or something. :cheers:

i will more than likely make my way there. i hear orlando has A LOT of stuff to do there, so i will probably check it out, might as well while i am there. i will be sure to let you know if i do.

sounds good, i will shoot you a message when i have made my way down there and get everything moved in and what not. i'll be around for about a month or two seeing as how it's going to be pretty expensive to get back up here to washington.

Out where I live that is not that extreme of an example, we have a lot of gravel trucks, and I crack a windshield about once a year. The thing is my insurance just covers it, even though I got the license number of a big rig gravel truck that threw out the rock my insurance wasn't interested in the plate number. They told me that there really isn't any way to prove that the rock came from that particular vehicle, so I just put in a claim and every year I get a new windshield.