Cool custom AW-4 controller idea

So in talking with JeepCoMJ on MSN tonite, I hit on an idea.

I want to take a shifter tower, modify it so it sits in a bracket and the first 4 forward speeds are contacts that control the gear selection that the switches in the AW-4 controller kit essentially control. The clutch pedal will control T/C lockup.

The next part is using a bucket seat/full console setup and cut down a floor shifter and hide it in the center console.

The final should essentially look like a factory standard trans truck but with the coolest setup I could think of to control that AW-4

Ever seen BrettM's electronic AW-4 controller?

It sets up the control of the transmission's gears as a manual selection. The trans won't shift automatically, its left up to the driver. What I'm trying to do is instead of a bank of switches to control the upshift/downshift and t/c lockup features is to use the parts from a manual trans truck and have the gear positions as intermediate switches, so 1st gear position of the shift tower = first gear of the AW-4, the electric contact would tell the trans 1'st gear please.

Someone else can jump in and explain the workings of the AW-4 controller and such as I'm not good at explaining that idea.

It sets up the control of the transmission's gears as a manual selection. The trans won't shift automatically, its left up to the driver. What I'm trying to do is instead of a bank of switches to control the upshift/downshift and t/c lockup features is to use the parts from a manual trans truck and have the gear positions as intermediate switches, so 1st gear position of the shift tower = first gear of the AW-4, the electric contact would tell the trans 1'st gear please.

Someone else can jump in and explain the workings of the AW-4 controller and such as I'm not good at explaining that idea.

Interesting. Do you plan on retaining the NSS? All the AW4 drive circuits (1-2-D-OD) are routed through the NSS, so you would need a 4-speed shifter. And Park, Neutral, and Reverse are mechanically operated by the shift cable, so I'm fuzzy how this could be done too. :popcorn:

Interesting. Do you plan on retaining the NSS? All the AW4 drive circuits (1-2-D-OD) are routed through the NSS, so you would need a 4-speed shifter. And Park, Neutral, and Reverse are mechanically operated by the shift cable, so I'm fuzzy how this could be done too. :popcorn:

I'm taking a floor shifter and hiding it in the center console. pop the console lid, shift from park, rev, whatever. I'm just going to take a shift tower and gate it so it will only go to the 4 positions.

I can't figure out if you plan to use an automatic shifter, or a 5-speed shifter. Your initial post sais you want it to look like a standard transmission, but then later on you seem to be talking about modifying an automatic floor shifter.

The idea of modifying a 5-speed to control an AW-4 does sound pretty cool. I see no point at all to messing with the automatic shifter when all you really need is a toggle switch to override the torque converter lockup.

i say do it and let me know how it goes. there are 100's of millions of people that will tell you you can't right up until they see it done. i just lifted a 2500# beam by myself at work the other day by using my smarts after everyone said it couldnt be don't without a crane truck. some times having a little more diverse knowledge comes in handy

do it and then sell the product to everyone that said you couldnt

shoo if its that cool id buy one too

he's not explaining it all that well.

basically, he has to shift between P,R,N,and D

then, he can control 1st,2nd,3rd, and Overdrive.

so, he wants two shifters...one that will operate as normal, and only shift from P to D, removing the 3rd gear selection and 1-2 selection. this will be a "hidden" shifter under the center console lid or something along those lines.

then, take a manual shifter and give it a guide system so you get the

|_|

| |

pattern. this would be in the stock location, and as he and i discussed, you'd use an automatic shifter handle and install a switch in it so that the button is actually the torque converter lockup.

I'd just leave the shifter in the stock location, but alter it so you can't acces 1-2 or 3, and then so you can slap-stick it to the right for upshift, and left for downshift. use 4 LED's in the dash as indicator's for what gear you are in, with a 5th LED in a different color for torque converter lockup.

hey now there pal, I legitimately gotcha lol.

You werent going to do the standard shifter as the control mech :P

this is a bit of a ways off, soon as I can muster my first 2 years tuition ($4000) then this project will fly. Until then, plans and drawings.

You could save a ton of time and get some stuff here.

http://awshifting.com/index.html

They have the whole kit. You can do your bit of customizing with their stuff as the 'meat & potatoes'

thats what I plan on doing and then modifying it to work with my application and idea.

I'm not going to re-invent the wheel, I'm making the wheel neater.

You could save a ton of time and get some stuff here.

http://awshifting.com/index.html

They have the whole kit. You can do your bit of customizing with their stuff as the 'meat & potatoes'

You beat me to it. :D

we already know about that. we're talking about the custom shifter here...I'm just too lazy to build EVERYTHING else on my own...

I'd just leave the shifter in the stock location, but alter it so you can't acces 1-2 or 3, and then so you can slap-stick it to the right for upshift, and left for downshift. use 4 LED's in the dash as indicator's for what gear you are in, with a 5th LED in a different color for torque converter lockup.

In order to be able to move the shifter left or right for the slap stick gear changes, are you going to have to figure out a way to temporarily disengage the shifter from the shift cable?

I was thinking of getting the aw4 shift kit, but i really wasn't thrilled with all the buttons and choices for shift controllers. For me the ideal solution would basically use the stock shifter and a gate like similar to this:

momo2.jpg

Full automatic mode that keeps 3 and 1/2. Pushing the shifter to the right while in D would take the place of the auto/manual switch in the kit. Slapping up and down is more intuitive than left and right. Then i would put the torque converter lockup switch next to the power/comfort switch on the dash.

Its an interesting project, hope you guys are able to work something out.