MJ Dana 44 Front Axle

the one thing they did do that would be worthwhile is upgrading wheel bearings.

the stock d30 ones won't last long on 35 inch tires with any wheeling in th emix

Hadn't given that a thought. With a complete JY axle that would be another benefit. In the article they said you could use your 30 stuff from the knuckles out, they actually did a bolt circle change to 5 on 5 1/2 and new stuff. They also started with a bare housing and built it up. With the JY complete axle the knuckle out stuff wouldn't need to be swapped to the 30. There wouldn't be any need or point. Thanks good catch.

I was trying to talk you out of doing something you will probably regret before very long.

Looks like I didn't succeed.

The only reason I went this direction is because; the project truck is 2 WD, The TJ axle was low miles, geared right and $250. I'll spend more than that to regear the 30 in the donor Comanche. It's a gas miser w/ 3:31's and has 200,000 miles on it so that would be an easy $5-600. I posted the article for the tech not the process, and really not the price tag. I really don't need a locked front axle. I just don't understand how the same axle used in a Jeep TJ with very good results can be considered so bad for a Comanche destined for the same type of operation. If I had that kind if dinero I'd get (2) 9" Currie axles set up for the Comanche control arms and SOA.

You'll have to forgive Eagle as he can be a little, um, blunt sometimes. But believe me, he only wants the best for you. I think he feared you were going to do the swap as described in that article, which is insane. But if you've got an axle lined up for a decent price and it has the right gears, I'd say it would be a good candidate. :thumbsup:

I was trying to talk you out of doing something you will probably regret before very long.

Looks like I didn't succeed.

The only reason I went this direction is because; the project truck is 2 WD, The TJ axle was low miles, geared right and $250. I'll spend more than that to regear the 30 in the donor Comanche. It's a gas miser w/ 3:31's and has 200,000 miles on it so that would be an easy $5-600. I posted the article for the tech not the process, and really not the price tag. I really don't need a locked front axle. I just don't understand how the same axle used in a Jeep TJ with very good results can be considered so bad for a Comanche destined for the same type of operation. If I had that kind if dinero I'd get (2) 9" Currie axles set up for the Comanche control arms and SOA.

You'll have to forgive Eagle as he can be a little, um, blunt sometimes. But believe me, he only wants the best for you. I think he feared you were going to do the swap as described in that article, which is insane. But if you've got an axle lined up for a decent price and it has the right gears, I'd say it would be a good candidate. :thumbsup:

We're good Pete. I think the guys just kinda got off on a tangent, thinking I was building a dedicated Crawler or Trail rig. Eagle has already repaid me, if there was anyting to repay. I didn't know that the TJ axle had any kind of a Locker in it at all. I may have done more damage =$$$ by taking the axle out without that knowledge. Now I will know what I'm doing ....... :rotfl2: I could have explained what I was doing better in my first post too

jamminz.gif

I am going to speak from experience here. don't polish a turd. I had a d30 under pong with alloys (which broke in the splines.. not the ears) with the WJ knuckle by the time I added up how much I had in the axle I could have got a d60... which I ended up doing by selling said d30 to a TJ owner who wanted a "beefy" axle :nuts:

Right now I have a D44 out of a 73 f100 that I am going to install on the turd. The truck it came out of was givn to me... so having to swap it over from drums to discs.. while a pita... is still cheaper then building a d30 with chromos and locker.. not top mention histeer. Look at buying a waggy front 44 or a 73-77 d44 out of a ford. Any ealier and the will be a closed knuckle d44. Not a bad thing but a pita if you break something.

This is a 2004 Wrangler Rubicon hit hard in the back and caught fire. Windshield back TOAST, forward of the dash good. Should be an Electronic locker then? What else do I need or is it just switched? I would imagine there's a weather pack plug to disconnect. This is a bonus to me and I don't want to look at gift horse in the mouth but I wasn't concerned about a locker. The guy I'm getting it from suprised me when he said $250. I can usually score an axle front or rear from him for$100. This explains the price.

jamminz.gif

The Wrangler Rubicon only came out in 2003. When it was introduced, it used air actuated lockers. I doubt they changed over to electrics after only one year, so I'll guess that your axle still has the air locker. It only needs 5 or 6 psi to operate, so you can set up any small, auxiliary compressor, or maybe even just a pressurized cannister with some sort of regulator.

The Wrangler Rubicon only came out in 2003. When it was introduced, it used air actuated lockers. I doubt they changed over to electrics after only one year, so I'll guess that your axle still has the air locker. It only needs 5 or 6 psi to operate, so you can set up any small, auxiliary compressor, or maybe even just a pressurized cannister with some sort of regulator.

Would there be a compressor on the Wrangler? Do you know if it would be in the dash or on the firewall? If Dash I doubt it's good, if firewall there's a good possibility it may work. There woud be a harness to it then with a plug of some sort? I would then have to rig a switch to turn on the compressor. I'll try to check this axle out technically a little better on the net. I had been only checking the mechanical fit prior to today.

Thanks

Until 07, all rubi axles were air lockers. Two pumps, one for each axle mounted on the t-case skid unless they moved them which is a popular mod for rubi owners. Jeepsareus has them a little cheaper than the dealer. Wiring them is pretty easy and there are a couple of write-ups on JF. The rubi's D44's do have a known leaking axle seal problem. As me how I know? :headpop:

Oh, and if you can get it for $250, jump on it. If anything you can turn around and sell it for a lot more. Just check the prices they go for on ebay.

:cheers:

My 2005 Rubicon had air lockers. I moved the pumps under the hood on the firewall. From the factory they are mounted underneath by the transfercase.

I'll give you $350 for the front axel right now! :brows:

I stopped in over the weekend and talked to Jim. From what I read I better pick this thing soon. This was a pick up off the turnpike that he stored til the accident had been investigated and the vehicles released. He told me it was going to be recycled in the next thirty days along with about 40 others. I gave him a hundred down on it so it wouldn't get crushed and he's gonna put it out near the crusher on pylons. It's kinda setting on a bank and I wasn't dressed for JY WARS but I did see the compressors on the transfer case mount. Condition unknown all I could really see was the bottom part. The front DS looks good but it's in a little tension from the rear hit. Pretty well burnt inside but the fire wall side of the dash is bad at the dash but better at the firewall. Just melted in the some engine bay. Rear wheels and tires burnt but the front didn't. Looks like a good candidate. I need to check out some driveshaft mounting configurations/fixes. I may cut the DS off so I have the mount. I don't know the DS tube size to know if it's just a machine and weld. If he has it out of there I'm going to pick it up this Sat or next. I couldn't get ahold of my buddy Johnny to see about help for extra parts, in getting that 8.8 and this axle from the yard. My back needs surgery and I'm not real quick or as contorsional as I used to be so I'll havta see what Sat. he's available.

Thanks everybody

Is the transfer case in good shape? I'd rather have that than the fake 44. That's worth some money too if you can get it for cheap.

Willy

Don't believe I would want to take a chance on the transfer case in this one due to the rear hit. The 2.5L/AX5/231 I'm using is low mileage.