Project Pavement Pounder 86 MJ + 97 XJ ~PAINTED w/ PICS~

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you decided to keep it. I saw it on craigslist a while back. Where did you take it for paint? Maaco? Do you still have the donor xj? -Andy

Diamond Auto Paint on South Cobb. And i kinda take back my previous statement. They didnt do that good of a job. I have found some runs, a mosquito in the paint, and some places that needed sanded really bad. But for the price it was ok. Its not a lexus, its a 1986 Jeep, I'm already over it..

And ya about craigslist, I lost interest to be honest and ran out of jeep funds, the problem was i don't have a garage, but my parents have a killer garage set up in acworth, but I hate driving up there to work on it. But i got over it and made the drive every few saturdays :nuts: . And donor XJ is long gone, but I still have lots of parts from it. I stripped it and have a lot of the parts in the attic. I have the complete dash, HVAC, wiring harnesses. For future projects on the MJ, but I have sold some of it because i was broke. :roll:

Tonight I dragged the MJ to the garage and put all the front end parts on, door panels, taillights, plastic pieces. It looks like a truck again. No pics because it was dark.. Pics tomorrow, get the popcorn ready. :popcorn:

Pics from today, Lost track of time and I was losing daylight, so i snapped some pics. As you can see i'm missing the front flares, I have them painted and ready to be put on, i just wasn't ready to wrestle with them today. :dunno: Enjoy..

Remember the before??

manche03.jpg

After: image_209027.gif

XManche_Painted03.JPG

XManche_Painted02.JPG

XManche_Painted04.JPG

XManche_Painted06.JPG

2001 S-10 Rear Bumper:

XManche_Rear_Bumper.JPG

Interior Shots:

XManche_door_driver.JPG

XManche_Door_Pass.JPG

XManche_Interior01.JPG

Thats all folks! :wavey:

Thanks for all the compliments. 8) And I sold the roll bar a long time ago. I think a week after i got it home.

So the comment about the decals actually got me thinking. I have the "new" style silver comanche decals, and silver tailgate decal. Should I put them on or leave them off?? I kinda like the blacked out look.

New pics form today, got the fender flares on:

100_0142.jpg

100_0143.jpg

Looks good, I always liked the chrome grills on the 97+ Jeeps, plus, I think chrome looks good against black.

x2 on seeing the brackets and such for the s10 bumper, it looks pretty good and not out of place on the MJ. Plus I cannot find a good condition MJ bumper and I need to replace the junk on there now.

Lol i knew that was coming. The bumper was super easy, if you have a welder its pretty easy. I was in the same boat as most of you, any MJ rear bumper I found was tweaked, rusted, smashed, or ugly, or $150. So i scanned craigslist, found a dude that put a roll pan on his s-10 and was selling this bumper with brackets and trim for $20, dude never returned my calls and I actually ended up getting it for free. :chillin:

All I did was remove the MJ bumper, but left the MJ brackets bolted to the frame. Then I took the s-10 brackets and swapped them right to left. Once you have all the bracketry you will see why. Then i cut the s-10 brackets to remove the portion that would have bolted to the frame. Then I slid the bumper and s-10 brackets bolted on, but loose, wiggled it into place and tacked the two brackets together. Removed the bumper and welded all the seams. I really like how it turned out. I will try and crawl under and take some pics next time I'm workin on it. :thumbsup:

i think you need to take pics and post your bumper in the DIY section. i was dead set on finding a factory chrome replacement, but i love the look of that bumper. great job on the whole truck. were you considering doing a 97+ dash swap? as nice as that looks with the updated style, I think you need to go for it all! :thumbsup:

No big meats for this its just a commuter/run-a-round truck.

And the 97+ dash is all in the attic ready to go. I have it all except a 4-cyl wiring harness and computer. The XJ was a 6-cyl. That was my main reason for not doing it. Plus i would need a bunch of sensors since I sold most of the stuff off the 6-cyl XJ motor. I was trying to figure out how to make it work with all the old wiring and old interior wiring, but i did think that hard about it. I know it can be done, just gotta take the time to do it.

When I take some pics of the bumper brackets i will try and make a post in the DIY. ;)

When I take some pics of the bumper brackets i will try and make a post in the DIY. ;)

Cool, 'cause I'm already scouting out a bumper. I don't think I'll find the $20/freebie you did, but I think I might have found one practically new for $100.

Now, I currently have the tow pkg and would want to put a tow hitch under this. Do you have any idea if I should go with an MJ hitch or if an S10 hitch would work?

I know an S10 hitch will NOT work. The frame on an S10 is narrower than an MJ. I remember measuring when I was mocking it up, i think it was a good 6 inches or so narrower. If the S10 and Comanche Step bumpers are the same height, i don't see a problem of the MJ hitch being mounted. I thought about a hitch as well, but my MJ is a 4-cyl so if I do tow anything I can just throw the ball on this bumper and it will be a small trailer with a light load.