Project: The Duke - 56K warning - NEW PARTS 8/04

Here she is, my 'red-headed stepchild.' She's an '86 with the 2.5L, 5 speed (I believe it's an AX-5, I haven't confirmed.) Stock Dana 30/35 axles, 207 transfer case. Bought it with 78,xxx miles, only put 3k miles on it in the last year.

Hardly any rust, just a little on the tailgate.

The only 'major' aesthetic thing I've done so far is to replace a missing grill.

Driving-wise, I've had to replace the catalytic converter, PS pump and box, and head gasket. Also needs the clutch replaced, which will happen next week.

The interior is CHERRY... Not just the color.

One minor blemish on the drivers door by the crank handle...

And the headliner is falling down, no biggie. No cheap gauges here!

THE PLAN:

I've got some major future plans for this truck. First things first though. New 4.5 inch rear leafs from Hell Creek:

Adjustable upper and lower control arms, 4.5 inch springs and a heavy duty track bar bracket from RE:

Should be lifting the truck next weekend. After the lift, I'll take it to Phat Jeeps Offroad in Rollinsville, CO for some heavy duty steering and a track bar. Then the 33x12.50 on some 15x8 rims with 4 inch backspace, and I'll measure for some shocks. I'll probably buy some quick disconnects for the sway bar too, after the lift so I can measure for sure.

One quick question... the bushings on the rear shackles look pretty worn. Is it possible to replace them, or do I need to replace the entire shackle? I've got a little hardware for the front control arms, should I plan on replacing the rest and the rear U-bolts, or will everything clean up decently? I'd rather spend a little extra now than break it the first time I wheel it.

Also, the moonroof leaks when it rains hard, or when I wash it. Is it possible to replace the seal?

I'll be sure to keep this updated. Thanks!

:bowdown: she's a beauty. hopefully the lift is for looks not to abuse

(wow, i never thought i'd say that.) that shows you how nice that truck is!

i'm never into "poseur" rigs. but your truck is amazingly clean and will look awesome lifted.

Lifted the front of the Jeep today. Wanted to do the rear, but we ran out of time... And I'm skiing tomorrow. Gotta get it all in before the season is over! Progress pics.

Set the lower adjustable arms to 16 3/4", uppers to 15" originally. We moved the uppers "out" 5 full turns, so I have no idea what they're at now. Reused the stock steering and track bar. I have new brake lines, but did not install them today. I'll get to that next weekend with the rear.

All the old parts we pulled out.

A picture with the stock tires...

And a few poser pictures with my roommates spare 33x12.50

PM Sent.

If anyone else wants any of the stock parts, let me know. I have the stock upper and lower control arms, and will soon have the stock steering and trackbar / bracket. I will be keeping my rear leafs. I didn't think there was much of a market for stock stuff, so I was just going to toss it all.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the rear lift on. I used 4.5 inch Hell Creek leaf springs, and some new U-bolts from Currie. The rear wasn't too difficult, I had to unbolt the brake junction box thing from the axle for the lines to reach alright. I'll get some pictures up ASAP.

The front upper tire to bottom fender lip is about 7 12", and the rears are 8". I am still using my stock shackles, but the bushings look pretty worn in them, so I may replace them soon. I'm leaning towards either the RE greasable shackles, or the revolvers. I think I'm going to lose a little lift either way, which is alright by me.

I'm also keeping my stock rear springs, they're pretty flexy. I'll put them back in when I go spring over at some future point.

Went and flexed it out, and measured 17" stuffed in the front, and 26" droop. Rear measured 18" stuff, 23" droop. Those measurements are from shock mount to shock mount, on my stock 235x/75.

Next step is to get the stock steering/track bar replaced.

New pictures with full lift:

Picture of the rear springs and new U-bolts. There is all kinds of room under there once you take out the spare tire:

Picture of the front with the stock steering. I'm going to have the steering replaced with a cross over setup from Phat Jeeps later this week.

No shocks yet, hopefully I'll get those tomorrow and put them on before the long drive.

Got the shocks and installed them today. Bought 4 Procomp ES9000. The fronts are 28" extended, the rears are 24.5". Compressed, they fit within my measurements with stock tires, so they should be fine once I get the new meats.

The part numbers are EXP 926515 and EXP 924509 from 4 Wheel Parts. I also bought some bar pin eliminators for the front, as I don't want the bar pin hassle.

I did not get boots with my shocks. I have heard horror stories about the boots getting filled with dirt and mud and grime, and causing problems down the road.

Hopefully I will be dropping the jeep off for steering tomorrow.

I use the ES9000's on all three of our vehicles and love them. You did good by avoiding the boots as the stories you have heard are true. Boots are for looking pretty, but for a truck being used as they will collect water, mud etc... and just damage the shock.

Thanks for the backup about the shocks. I was basically going for a mid-range type shock. My one roommate has some cheap Rusty shocks, the other has the $90 a piece Ranchos. Personally, I don't see the difference.

New front shock with a JKS Bar Pin Eliminator:

So I got my new meats today. 33x12.50 MTZs.

Mounted on 15x8 4 inch BS Crager Soft 8s.

Even though I don't have my steering yet, I couldn't help but testing fitting them on the truck!

My alignment is off due to stock steering. It's pretty obvious with the larger tires...

Front tire looks pretty well centered in the wheel well.

The rear however, looks pretty far forward. I don't think I could've put the springs on backwards...Big eye forward, I don't think they fit the other way.

Unfortunately, as fun as it was, I had to take the tires back off. They rub when I turn, I believe they're rubbing at the front of the front fenders. Also, I don't want them to go all crazy on me when I take it to have the steering done.