88' 2wd 4-cyl auto? (should I buy it?)

lowslowTJ

The automatic transmission should be a AW4, But with the bell housing for the 2.5, which can be changed to the 4.0 bell housing.

You should drop CEThomas a note, he just stripped down a '91 XJ and has the complete drive line, 4wd, and 4.0 OH engine, and is close to you, and has done the complete conversion to his MJ ;)

If it's factory, the rear axle will have 4.56's in it.....

That bellhousing is a pretty rare bird, too. Also, the torque converter is unique...the front part of it that fits into the crank end is different than a 4.0 version.

Jeff

actually it should have a TF90x trans, I believe.

Unless I'm confuzled on the years and that anything 87+ as an auto 4banger had an aw4

The 904 was only used in 1986 to the best of my knowledge. The AW4 was used starting in 1987.

Probaly the easiest way to tell is see if it has the "power-comfort" switch. The majority (however not all) in the late 80's/early 90's has this switch. The TF904 NEVER had it.

It will have a D35 and 4.56's if it is the AW4 2.5 combo. You must also make sure as Jeff said get the right converter. I know this cause I had to swap mine 3 times to figure out I needed a new one for my 2.5 instaed of the one I got from a 4.0. Hardest thing you will have is to find a front 4.56 to swap into it to convert it to 4WD, unless you can do the gears yourself.

It is a good find if the body and frame are in good shape.

I dunno if I should buy it. it turns out its an 88' 2.5 manual (the dealer had it listed as auto Duh!) 2wd. the motor is bad too! they are asking $700.00. I want a 4.0L 4x4 and tranny type is not so important to me. what do you all think? I don't mind waiting, or undertaking a huge drivetrain swap:).

These axle ratios don't make sense to me. Wouldn't the auto and the 4 speed have the same axle ratio? (Both are direct drive in high) The 5 speed would have a numerically higher ratio. My understanding is 3.55 for 4 speed/auto, 4.10 for 5 speed, and 4.56 is 5 speed towing package. Possibly 4.10 would be the towing package for 4 speed and auto. Are the towing packages common? I would think 4.56 in 4 speed/auto with stock tires would rev way too high. I understand why you would want it but why are we assume this rig has 4.56?

I have an 86 X W/ 2.5, 5 Speed and 3.31 gears. It's a gas miser package. Now it won't run 15's in the quarter but it has enuff snot to travel and maintain highway speeds. It won't climb mountains on the highway in 5th but it will climb rolling hills. 5th gear is reserved for long somewhat level strecthes and 4th is the most used top gear. I have 215/75/15 All Season tires and get 25 mpg. My only gripe is "WHAT A DOG OFFROAD" I run out of horsepower before obstacle. I would advise to buy it.

we were taliking about that earlier... i thought gas misers were 4 speed mt only. or is it just lower hp and no tailgate

That may well have been the Jeep Base Line Gas Miser package. Mine is 4x4 has different LCA's not sure about UCA's. I put a motor in this truck but used all the ancillary items from the original 2.5 so it should still be detuned. I also put the 5 speed in it but merely replaced the AX5 w/ an AX5. The original owner, possibly the dealership, had Good ol Rusty Jones undercoat it, probably because it didn't have any. I had to put a tailgate and back bumper on it. Whether they were on it when it came from the factory IDUNNO. Knowing the list of possible options and depending on how they felt like building it at the factory that day, I would dare to say it is within the realm of possibilities to have a Gas Miser sold in a semi or fully opted out configuration. Factories usually only build at the base by order only, they want to sell all they can sell.