My SB MJ vs. My LB MJ

twojeeps

I need to sell one and don't know how to make up my mind. They are both 2wd, I want to convert one to 4wd, and lift it. The '88 LB is in really great shape, has 210K on the clock and runs great. The '90 SB, I drive all the time but is not as nice as the LB right now. I like them both, but one has to go, any opinions....... Thanks!

I assume by the fact that neither are 4wd, at least for now, that you're not a heavy off roader. That being said, I personally prefer the long bed. In addition to being more useful on hauling stuff, I just like how they look in 4wd form a little better than SBs. If you plan to start wheeling hard with one after putting in 4wd, of course you get a much better departure angle w/the SB.

Regardless, if everyone here voted, there is only two ways to go, so while it may end up 50/50, there would be over 1000 different definitions as to why they feel that way. The only one that matters is yours, and from the looks of them, you can't go wrong with either! :chillin:

If you plan on going offroad the SWB would be my choice. :D

It has better departure angle higher, the break over angle is better and the turning radius is tighter. :brows:

When it comes to chosing that is all up to you. :cheers:

What's going to be the purpose of going to 4WD and lifting? IMHO its pretty simple -- for all-around use as a truck, the LWB is far more utilitarian, and can also be used for an occasional off-road jaunt.

The SWB wheels far better than the LWB because it has a better over-center angle and a better departure angle. It's also more fun to drive on the street ... but it doesn't haul as much stuff in "truck" mode.

I will probably use it more as a Home Depot runner and the occasional off road jaunt, but also just want to know that it is capable and looks good. I really want to keep them both, but that is not realistic for my driveway and the wife is tired of seeing both trucks, a CJ in the garage, my company car and her 4runner. Just needed help deciding and I think I will keep the LB.

Just needed help deciding and I think I will keep the LB.

Probably a wise choice. I've been using the '88 SWB as an all-around truck, and I've lost count of how many times I have wished I had a slightly longer bed for hauling. I picked up (no pun intended) an '89 LWB with a blown tranny and no driver's side floor that's scheduled to correct that problem, if I ever get a few $$$ to throw at fixing it up.

My engine size made my mind up for me. 86' LB 4x4 has 2.5L. 92' 4x2 has 4.0L. Although the LB will outclimb even my XJ 4.0L, the problem is just "driving" the 2.5L to the mountains.2nd and 3rd gear tops! So coverting the 2x4 SB is the way I'm goin'. Also agree with all said above. My LB has nowhere near the manuverability as my SB or my XJ. I'm goin SB 4x4 and a trailer, LOL. :chillin:

I love both my swbs, but I do curse sometimes that they can't turn as good as my XJ used to. I don't think I could own a lwb

yea it sucks.

i like the looks of the swb more, and the handling. BUT i don't see any of you being able to load an old chapparel snowmobile (8' long, easily 600lbs) in your swb with nothing hanging over the end.

I love both my swbs, but I do curse sometimes that they can't turn as good as my XJ used to. I don't think I could own a lwb

yea it sucks.

i like the looks of the swb more, and the handling. BUT i don't see any of you being able to load an old chapparel snowmobile (8' long, easily 600lbs) in your swb with nothing hanging over the end.

DON'T make me do it.