manual tranny

hi . i've got an 87 with the 4L (4x4) and peugot tranny. just wondering what is involved with changing to a different tranny (like one out of a YJ). Also, how hard would it to be to just swap in the complete drive train from a full size blazer (350, SM465, NP208). If the adapters aren't much, that would be an awesome combo. thanks, and long live the comanche!

Check out:

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/ax15swap.html

and www.advanceadapters.com for v8 swap parts. Careful with the YJ/TJ trannys, as they will rotate the t-case up a bit and the shifting bracket holes and such can be very different. This can all be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what your looking for. I have a TJ ax-15 in my 88.

Jeep on!

--Pete

• 4 weeks later...

you know you were right. I took out the shifter and poured a galon of gear oil into it. A lot of the noise has gone away. The syncros in 2nd and 3rd are pretty much shot. I have to shift at set speeds to avoid gear chatter. About 10 MPH for 2nd, and 25 for 3rd. It still sounds like there's some bearing noise, prety sure it's a throwout bearing. Noise stops when I push the clutch in. It's either that or the input shaft bearing in the tranny.

If I filled it thorugh the gear shift how full should I fill it? I filed it until it covered the shaft believe the shift linkage. Then I fixed the gear shift so it didn't pull out :)

I plan on doin a proper fluid change in it this weekend, but right now it's my DD, so I just had to pour some in so I didn't wreck it.

Also, I'm not so sure I have the puegot at this point. I read that the Puegot splits horizontally with a top andbottom half, this tranny doesn't look like that, so perhaps someone's already done it. That would be awesome. I'll snap some pictures of it this weekend while I'm chaning the fluid and we'l play guess my tranny.

While I'm at it, where's the drain and fill plugs?

and does anybody have any idea where I can get a service manual?

well, I didn't pull the bolts since the shifter was broken, so I didn't see them. I'll just crwal under there and take a picture. mIt's nt a big deal.

Depends on where you live.

Ariound here, I'd need a scuba tank and an underwater camera. 8 straight days of rain, and we aren't talking about drizzle.

• 1 year later...

Pete-

Other than the clocking issues, how difficult overall was the swap? How would you compare it to your full-width axle upgrade as far as difficulty? Any other issues that you ran into? What are the little things we'd likely forget to pick up in order to do this swap?

Which swap? Swapping in an AX-15 into a Peugeot truck? External bellhousing swap? 4wd trans into a 2wd truck? TJ/YJ trans into an MJ?

The axle swap as I did it was not for the feint of heart. I had to custom build a lot and then proceed to trust my engineering "skills" with my life. The drivetrain swap I did can be done pretty much all bolt-in.

It still sounds like there's some bearing noise, prety sure it's a throwout bearing. Noise stops when I push the clutch in. It's either that or the input shaft bearing in the tranny.

I've got the same problem. Thought it was the throwout bearing too, had a new clutch kit put in, but the noise is still there. I was later told that it's not the throwout bearing if the noise stops when you push in your clutch. Likely the "pocket" bearing on the input shaft making noise when the input shaft and cluster shaft are spinning at different speeds. It probably won't make the noise in 4th gear, when the shaft ratio is 1:1.

Don't forget to change the pilot bearing in the back of the motor! Last clutch job on my Jeep, they skipped over it (wrong one came with the kit I guess) and now it grabs when my foot is on the clutch at lights. It jumped forward a couple times and the squealing drives me bananas!

Pete-

Yeah, sorry bout that, I didn't really specify what I was talking about did I? That's what I get for trying to do that while nearly falling asleep... Anyway, what I was refering to was swaping an AX-15 into a BA-10 truck.....

Most everything is here:

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/ax15swap.html

Try to get the tranny mount, stick shifter, bellhousing, and all the guts inside the bellhousing with the used trans. Also, Jeep says that regular 10-W30 engine oil is the new recommended fluid. Oh, and remember the correct CJ pilot bushing is a ~$2 part.

• 4 weeks later...

did we ever figure out what oil to put in these stupid things? i think I'm gonna change my fluid tomorrow, its been a while since i added any its prolly near empty.

at first it was 80w90, then it was 80w90 synthetic, did we ever decide if 10w30 works? and should i go synthetic or cheap?

just drained the puke-goat and refilled it... got about 24oz of fluid out... :eek: :eek: especially considering i topped it off with nearly 1 1/2qts less than 8 months ago. :roll: so, gotta keep on that.

drain plug had all sorts of nice metal flakes magneted to it. lovely ;)

and the oil that DID come out was of course black

but now she's got 2.4L of fresh synthetic 75w90 and hopefully won't complain as much jamminz.gif

My 2wd Peugeot would let me know when the fluid got low. :( Eventually I started topping it off with every oil change. I probably could have fixed the output seal, but then I wouldn't have that awesome Jeep undercoating back there. :D

My 2wd Peugeot would let me know when the fluid got low. :( Eventually I started topping it off with every oil change. I probably could have fixed the output seal, but then I wouldn't have that awesome Jeep undercoating back there. :D

mine smells of gear oil depending on which windows are open and how the blower is selected while driving. so I'm thinking it leaks onto the clutch and burns off somewhat, and maybe also out the butt end some. the engine never seems to lose much oil (97 motor)

but can't a leaky output seal leak into the t-case and overfill it with gear oil causing complications?