manual tranny

The oily smells in my 88 was directly linked to the blowby gasses leaking out past the hood or to the oil dripping onto the exhaust crossover pipe and burning (depending on when in its history we're talking about). :(

The oily smells in my 88 was directly linked to the blowby gasses leaking out past the hood or to the oil dripping onto the exhaust crossover pipe and burning (depending on when in its history we're talking about). :(

not oily smells, GEAR oily smells. like the nasty smell of 17 yr old gear oil

my truck doesnt have engine oil problems cept the rear main

but can't a leaky output seal leak into the t-case and overfill it with gear oil causing complications?

No, the front input is sealed on the TC. If the output seal fails, the leaking fluid is channelled to a weep hole in the mounting flange. It'll run out and all over everything aft of the tranny, to let you know that inner seal is bad.

Here's a couple pics of it. It's nearly impossible to see it from underneath, with the TC attached:

weep hole from the rear of the flange (about 6 o'clock)

Image Not Found

viewed from the front (view is REALLY blocked by the crossmember)

Image Not Found

Jeff

can you explain that pic a little more? is that the front of a t-case or the rear of a tranny?

and I'm not sure if theres oil on my exhaust there, but i DID notice today that instead of old nasty gear oil smell, i had scented fresh synthetic gear oil smell... OOH YAY! :roll: now those 8$ quarts can all run out :headpop:

That's the rear section of an AX5 (same as an AX15). The first pic is the rear output, and shows the little channel that's cut into it for the oil to flow to the weephole. Pretend you are an NP231...that's where you would attach yourself to the tranny ;)

The second pic is still the tranny output, but looking from the front/side. It shows where the weep hole is visible if you were looking from underneath the vehicle. Like I said, it's almost impossible to see unless you know what and where you are looking for. Alot of people mistakenly think that their tranny case is cracked when gear oil starts covering the back half, crossmember, and TC when in fact it's just oil coming out of that weep hole. Another ingenious Jeep design :roll:

Hope that helps!

Jeff

Oizarod115, mjeff87 is correct, the weep hole is hard to see. But trans & t/case have seperate seals as mentioned, tho I've seen a few times where previous mech. had istalled wrong direction which causes a greater leak. By the way my 242 t/c is a 21 spline. I'll have to check my spares for there count.

Also for Pete M, years ago there was a TSB on frt. input shaft seals leaking because of seal failing due to fluid from slave cyl. deteriorating it. The ba10 trnny case was a split case w/the halfs being left & right, split @ slight angle w/top being @ 12:30 viewed from rear.

mjcanoe