found the oil leak... new question

I had the same thing happen after I replaced my rear main seal. Didn't get the gasket lined up properly over the rear main seal and it just dumped out the back. I took a lot more time and care the second time I put the oil pan on.

• 2 weeks later...

so it leaked even worse than before so I dropped the pan yet again to change the RMS and was greeted with yet another damaged gasket with multiple cuts in it.  at this point I'm thinking the aftermarket oil pan is crushing the rubber until it splits.  :furious2:

IMG_20240906_104104_376.jpg

• Pete M changed the title to found the oil leak... new question

pan bolts (1/4-20): 7 ft.lb

pan bolts (5/16-18): 11 ft.lb

but the rubber gasket isn't the old cork gaskets and has torque limiter washers embedded in it and I'm not sure if that affects things. 

yeah, so the problem area doesn't fit very snug to the engine.  I think that's the issue.  there's too much rubber and the pan is kinking it out of whack.  but I guess we'll see if I can make it work.  RMS is done and the pan is installed.  now to let the sealant cure...

Not sure what oil pan you’re running but it may have only been designed for the stock style gasket and not the perma-dry gaskets. I love those perma-dry gaskets but occasionally they can be a bit problematic. Sometimes the old cork style ones work the best :dunno:

looks like I'm dropping the pan again.  RMS is no longer squirting oil all over the place, but there is a slow drip from the back of the pan, even before I fired up the engine.  :furious2:

found it!  there's a groove up in the block that was filled perfectly with a leftover bit of... gasket?  it looked like the rest of the block and I didn't notice it (and it's been a hot minute and forgot that groove was there).  this time when dropping the pan it fell out. 

well, I'm off to go buy yet another oil pan gasket. :crazy:  3rd time's a charm...

installed the injectors and finally got to idle the engine for a while and it dripped 4 drops of oil off the trans after 15 mins of running.  I'm going to call this a win for now and carry on with the rest of the project.  will revisit it later. 

I am still battling oil leaks on mine. I am beginning to think it may be related to the 15w40 rotella being too thick. I'm going to try a 5w30 oil change and see what happens. Seems it is still puking out of the valve cover breather. Oil leaks are a nightmare. I have found ritualistic degreasing of the engine bay not only makes it easier to locate but also keeps the weeds down in the driveway. Lol