EJS Concepts and What Else Should Be Produced

89 MJ

I feel like the last few years of EJS concept vehicles have been lacking. For the most part, they seem like production vehicles with bolt ons. My favorite one is the Willys Dispatcher because it seems to be the one that is truest to what Jeeps were about 20+ years ago. 

jeep-easter-safari-concepts-101-65fdc6f25cc85.jpg.362d930cbf9e22214c1de6a7ccb513e4.jpg

1st: Gladiator Rubicon High Top

jeep-concept-103-65fdd35527f94.jpg.d45be2344af9612f13d130f81479672e.jpg

2nd: Wrangler Low Down

jeep-concept-101-65fdd338c4844.jpg.eb2c1b888fa5eb1d6454a11ef10cb351.jpg

3rd: Wagoneer Vacationeer. 

jeep-concept-104-65fdd354a0a9d.jpg.9cfefca53ebe0e52e8824b471b461f10.jpg

4th: Willys Dispatcher

jeep-concept-102-65fdd355257db.jpg.2c5ac2f21c75abe2266505b5801bb7cb.jpg

I would really like to see a production version of something like the 2016 Short Cut concept. For a daily driver for me (and probably lots of people), there is not much reason for more than two seats. I'd love to see a Wrangler that's even shorter than the current two door and comes extremely basic. I'm talking like a radio, doors, a top, cruise control, air conditioning and a back seat are options. Just give me a small Jeep, a 4 cylinder, 6 speed stick, and a Dana 44 in the rear at a reasonable price (no reason something like this should be more than $20,000) and I'd be happy. What would other people like to see Jeep put into production?

Jeep-Shortcut-concept-101.jpg.18fd464215479bbae2931a03856b67cd.jpg

6 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

… Just give me a small Jeep, a 4 cylinder, 6 speed stick, and a Dana 44 in the rear at a reasonable price…

Jeep-Shortcut-concept-101.jpg.18fd464215479bbae2931a03856b67cd.jpg

This. I look at what the Willys edition was to what is has become, and it’s getting closer to what the Rubicon started as. It should really be something simple like the Shortcut concept was. Even if were to share the same body and structure as the two door Wrangler?… fine. Just make it a la carte. Give me two doors, a rubber floor, crank windows, 4 cyl/manual, 4.10s, and a decent price.

I think the EJS concepts are a fun exercise in design, but Jeep also has a bunch of fresh faces at the top. Can’t say I’m too surprised with the mildly lack luster appeal of this year’s vehicles. From what they’ve shown in the recent past, I think it’s okay for it to seem like an off year.

19 minutes ago, neohic said:

This. I look at what the Willys edition was to what is has become, and it’s getting closer to what the Rubicon started as. It should really be something simple like the Short Cut concept was. Even if were to share the same body and structure as the two door Wrangler?… fine. Just make it a la carte. Give me two doors, a rubber floor, crank windows, 4 cyl/manual, 4.10s, and a decent price.

I think the EJS concepts are a fun exercise in design, but Jeep also has a bunch of fresh faces at the top. Can’t say I’m too surprised with the mildly lack luster appeal of this year’s vehicles. From what they’ve shown in the recent past, I think it’s okay for it to seem like an off year.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that would want basically no amenities. Its crazy to me that a base model with 0 options is north of 30 grand, especially when Wranglers are not known for all of their creature comforts. 

The fresh faces would explain why the vehicles are underwhelming. I did not know that there were new people there. 

In all honesty, fresh faces aren't inherently a bad thing. I have a lot to say about the current ownership, leadership, and engineering in the Jeep brand, some for better, some for worse. 

Incidentally, I'm not of the view that radical, extreme, and colorful concepts need to be the focus for any product. I get a lot of comments at my work about concepts from all sorts of brands and when I see more conservative or more mellow concepts, I can't help but smile believing that said company doesn't want to cater only to one mindset, the extremes!!!! 

But that's just me. 

My favorite Jeep concept was probably ten years ago with two-door Wrangler-based pickup. I would rather have that, myself. However, hindsight being 20/20, there are times when I'm driving the Pioneer or my '88 Ranger, and I could use the extended cab of a new truck... 

20 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

The fresh faces would explain why the vehicles are underwhelming. I did not know that there were new people there. 

Stellantis is a poor curator for Jeep. The head of Jeep, a historically very American brand, is from Fiat in Italy, which is an odd choice. Carlos Taveres, the head of Stellantis is completely indifferent to US customs as Stellantis was the only one of the 3 three traditional Detroit automakers to not halt production when the Detroit Lions won this year.

More importantly, they are currently pushing out US design and engineering. Firing 400 engineers over an automated video call is incredibly low brow.

Stellantis is truly no longer a Detroit automaker. I hope the US government does not give them anything when they go bankrupt, I just hope Jeep doesn't get purchased by BYD / Geely / alphabet soup foreign company. Otherwise, I will not be giving a single penny to Stellantis for the foreseeable future.

Meh. No one running a company that large gives a $#!& about any of us at the bottom. Doesn’t matter what country they send their money back to. All they care about is making money for the shareholders, who are the exact same group of people who give no $#!&s about us. The shareholders vote for who runs the show, the more money you have the more shares you can buy and the more votes you get. Every large company is like this. 

And the bottom line is that low-feature cars don’t sell well and don’t generate much revenue so no one wants to build them. 

Until we have an entire generation of people who aren’t wanting to massively overspend when buying a new car I don’t see that changing. The people who are sensible with their money aren’t buying new cars, and manufacturers only build cars for the people who will buy them. 

I'd like them to build the Magneto 1.0 concept from a few years ago.  Two door wrangler with the stock manual transmission and transfer case driven by an electric drive train.  That electric drivetrain was tuned to act just like the Pentastar V6 it replaced with the same power and torque curve programed to it.  I'd part with my hard earned money to have that.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:15 PM, Salvagedcircuit said:

Stellantis is a poor curator for Jeep. The head of Jeep, a historically very American brand, is from Fiat in Italy, which is an odd choice. Carlos Taveres, the head of Stellantis is completely indifferent to US customs as Stellantis was the only one of the 3 three traditional Detroit automakers to not halt production when the Detroit Lions won this year.

More importantly, they are currently pushing out US design and engineering. Firing 400 engineers over an automated video call is incredibly low brow.

Stellantis is truly no longer a Detroit automaker. I hope the US government does not give them anything when they go bankrupt, I just hope Jeep doesn't get purchased by BYD / Geely / alphabet soup foreign company. Otherwise, I will not be giving a single penny to Stellantis for the foreseeable future.

I read the other day that the Jeep brand has survived being owned by 8 different companies over the years.  

There aren't any large automakers that don't report to share holders, so unfortunately they are there to please shareholders, not enthusiasts.

I still remember seeing a press release for the Jeep Renegade.  My alert didn't have pictures, just a short description of a compact vehicle... when I saw the name "Renegade" and "compact", I was thinking a CJ5 type version of the Wrangler or something very much like the Short Cut... imagine my disappointment when I clicked on the link and saw the first photo.

My favorite Jeep Concepts are the 2011 Pork Chop and 2013 Stitch.  And I'd take a Short Cut as well.

Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 9.18.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 9.19.05 PM.png

2 hours ago, schardein said:

I still remember seeing a press release for the Jeep Renegade.  My alert didn't have pictures, just a short description of a compact vehicle... when I saw the name "Renegade" and "compact", I was thinking a CJ5 type version of the Wrangler or something very much like the Short Cut... imagine my disappointment when I clicked on the link and saw the first photo.

My favorite Jeep Concepts are the 2011 Pork Chop and 2013 Stitch.  And I'd take a Short Cut as well.

Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 9.18.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-30 at 9.19.05 PM.png

I like those a lot as well! I’m sure you wished you never saw a picture of the Renegade. 

3 hours ago, strictlyxjs said:

I really like the sahara throwback that quadratec did a few years ago. Having worked on a ton of the first the generation saharas the tribute was striking 

Photo Nov 02, 8 41 32 AM.jpg

That is pretty cool. My favorite concept was the Quadratec JTe, minus the goofy oversized roll bar. The rest... excellent.

https://www.thedrive.com/car-reviews/quadratec-gladiator-jte-review-specs-price-options-impressions

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/quadratec-jte-a-gladiator-built-to-tread-lightly/

001-2022-jeep-gladiator-4xe-quadratec-jte-two-door-jt-recon-grapplers.jpg.719f48049b088d7c844d1ac2974991f1.jpg

Jeep-Comacnhe-.jpg?auto=webp&optimize=hi