One Owner 92

I was recently searching for my next Jeep Offroad racing project and put the word out on my Instagram. I was looking to build a short course Mini Stock for the Great American Short Course series that was similar to the old Micky Thompson Stadium trucks. I have several people offer donor MJs that were basically destroyed, they would have been perfect!

During the search I was contacted by a friend of mine Kevin who had purchased a 92 Comanche from his neighbor who was the original owner. The neighbor is in his late 70 and decided to moved out of California. They never really did and of the title paperwork as it was assumed the pink had been lost years ago. I wasn't to concerned about the lack of title because i had planed on building my new racer.

A little over a week ago we did the deal. After getting the MJ home i quickly realized this jeep was in way to good of shape to become a race truck. The OG owner had taken meticulous care of it. Every Oil change and Maintenance was recorded from 92 up to 2021 when it appears the owner stopped driving it. The books showing this care were in the glove box along with some of the original sales paperwork! Having driven the jeep a little the care taken by the OG owner really shows. With 238k on the clock the jeep drives like a new truck! 

I have decided to Jump through the Hoops with the CA DMV and get the title and registration figured out and to restore this 1 of 952 back to its former glory haha.. well it will probably be nicer than it was new, i tend to go overboard.

Resized_IMG_20230818_183219_609.jpg

Over the last couple days i have been doing some clean up and adding thing from my Jeep parts hoard. 

Cleanengine.jpg

Above is after a degrease and power wash

Below is the Before haha

Dirty engine.jpg

Installed a Retractable Under-hood light I have had for over a decade

Underhoodlight.jpg

The Jeep didn't come with an electric fan, so i installed one. 

Electricfan.jpg

Thank you for recognizing what a gem of a truck you have and not cutting it up. That truck is absolutely beautiful. Glad to see it fell into somebody’s hands that will care for it. Congratulations on an awesome find. Amazing what a little bit of degreaser and pressure washing will do. 5 speed too! 4wd? Can’t tell. Basically Eleanor (gone in 60 seconds mustang) in the Comanche world. Jealous. Will be watching. Lol. 

On 8/29/2023 at 2:00 PM, Drahcir495 said:

Very nice :L:. Any advice for power washing the engine bay?

My method is;

1. spray the engine with a couple cans of this degreaser.

2. Scrub it with some brushes where needed. 

3. Rinse with my Ryobi 1900 electric power washer

4.run the engine for 5 mins or so

5. Spray everything down with WD-40 and wipe down with micro fiber cloth

This is how I have done it on all my Jeeps. There are probably better/more "correct" ways haha

Screenshot_20230819_074210.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Pete M said:

maybe time to buy a lotto ticket?  :bowdown:

I probably used up all my luck. I have a XJ D44 coming on Sunday I got for a really good price. It probably needs everything inside but it will be worth rebuilding. Its against my religion to have a D35 in any jeep I own haha

12 minutes ago, WranglerMangler said:

Heck yeah! D44s should have been standard equipment under Comanches in my opinion. I recently XJ D44 swapped my 2wd just because. Consider adding a rear sway bar. Made a world of difference for cornering on the 2wd. Just curious, how much did you pay for the 44? 

I traded a 91-95 NRT Autosports Fuel Rail and Fuel line kit and 100.00 cash for it. 

What swaybar did you use?