Key Parts making tailgate strap bumpers

it'll be debatable as to which is better until we get some feedback on both.  the factory ones are the things that are failing so having metal inside isn't an outright benefit.  hopefully they all are good improvements and are a forever fix. :L: 

I wasn’t disparaging Dakota’s parts, in fact I made and sold the first round of those before I handed over production to him. I was just pointing out for those who are restoring their MJs these are more like the originals.

Yeah it really comes down to what you prefer.  There are pros and cons to either option.  In my opinion the metal inside just gives an edge for the rubber to be cut on as it bends back and forth from the tailgate being opened and is why you usually see the edge of the metal sticking out of the originals right where they split open and bunch up.  That metal is necessary though in a soft rubber to give it some shear strength on that hole.

The ones I make are a stiffer rubber material so it doesn't need that inner metal piece to stay together and should last longer being stiffer rubber.  It really just comes down to how much you want to spend and which ones you like better.  Either one accomplishes the same task.

What kinds of problems are the originals causing for people? I'm just curious because I haven't noticed. Do they stop a rattle or something? I just haven't noticed a need to replace mine. I've never had an issue with the straps guiding themselves back into place either. I'll probably buy anyway set from either supplier eventually.

• 1 month later...