WJ sway bar upgrade

I recently picked up a sway bar from a WJ with the intentions of it being a direct fit. After a bit of research I found that it isn't a direct fit but is very easy to mount by drilling a couples holes in the frame and moving the sway bar mounts forward. Drilling holes in the frame does not excite me and would rather not do anything irreversible. This probably isn't possible but I thought I'd give it a chance.

I was planning to do this. I do have an OME 'upgrade' swaybar for the WJ. It is actually, less diameter than the factory WJ swaybar.  I started to install it, but the Bad Dad Fab hidden bumper needed holes drilled etc. Didn't want to tackle that. The BDF bumper 'cradle' is a bit of a process to take off. I do remember a swap write up for this. There should be an extra thread hole in front of the swaybar bracket. So, you move it forward to that hole. I was looking at the swap to gain some clearance between the stock XJ sawybar and the frame rails. I do have frame stiffeners on, and then the BDF stuff.

Presently, I use the HD 28mm XJ swaybar. The link posted by ghetdjc looks to be a good price. I also have polyurathane bushing for the swaybar brackets and the links. On my 2000 XJ, I do run the stock rear swaybar. It seemed a bit 'loose' in the rear. I replaced the white box shock with RS9000 adjustable at the middle adjustment. I like it there. It seems neutral.

4 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

There should be an extra thread hole in front of the swaybar bracket. So, you move it forward to that hole.

I do see a few holes in front of the sway bar bracket. However, none of them are threaded or in the right place to mount the sway bar to. 

17 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Here is the easiest and cheapest sway bar upgrade I’ve found. It’s the larger factory option bar and is a bolt on (just need to use the larger bushings) 

https://teamcherokee.com/products/front-sway-bar-assembly-oem-jeep-cherokee-xj-1994-2001.html

Do you happen to know the diameter of that bar?  I picked up a ZJ V8 one from the JY some time ago but I think it's only 26mm if IIRC.  Perhaps it didn't have the proper V8 in it.

21 minutes ago, rokinn said:

Do you happen to know the diameter of that bar?  I picked up a ZJ V8 one from the JY some time ago but I think it's only 26mm if IIRC.  Perhaps it didn't have the proper V8 in it.

IIRC there are only two sway bar sizes that came on the MJ/XJ. This is the larger of the two. I believe it’s 28mm

Wouldnt surprise me if the OME upgrade is supposed to be less aggressive for more flex off-road. 
I have it in my brain that I’ve got a 28mm off a ZJ on my long bed but I don’t remember ever actually measuring it. I pulled it off a ZJ in a yard myself, don’t remember if it was a V8 or not but I’d say likely. But it was going on ten years ago. The ZJ I have is only a 4.0 and I’d have to guess it was still the stock sway bar but it definitely leans less in corners than the MJ, even with the 2” lift pucks on the Z. Likely a consequence of the rear sway bar if the one up front is smaller. I’d go measure them both but I’m 1200miles away for the next week or so.

43 minutes ago, neohic said:

From Comanche County in 2012:

Thanks for the build thread! Ideally I would like to complete the conversion with relocation brackets. I read on the Cherokee Forum that this swap could be done with relocation brackets to eliminate the drilling. 

I've not been able to find any relocation brackets to finish this swap. All the relocation brackets that I've found only move the sway bar down. What I really need is one that moves the sway bar forward rather than down. I'm considering building a custom bracket or getting one built. 

1 hour ago, CheepComanche said:

I've not been able to find any relocation brackets to finish this swap. All the relocation brackets that I've found only move the sway bar down. What I really need is one that moves the sway bar forward rather than down. I'm considering building a custom bracket or getting one built. 

I can’t imagine it would be any more difficult than choosing an appropriate thickness flat bar, drilling, and tapping a couple holes for the new location. Might need a slight bend to it to match the frame.