Looking to install a 3.5-4.5 Lift Kit

Hello Community,

I'm getting close to doing my 2nd phase job on my 1986 Jeep Comanche Custom 4x4. I'm looking to get a 3.5-4.5 Lift Kit, preferably with new leaf springs in the rear. Can you recommend a lift kit that would include everything I need. This is my first Comanche and I'm a bit clueless. I'm looking to install 31" tires and take my Comanche off-roading on some trails. Maybe even low level rock climbing. Any information is appreciated.

Best bet is to piece it together. When I did mine there wasnt a decent option for a "kit" lift. Rear springs are specific to the mj. General spring and hell creek both make rears. The front is all shared with the xj, there is plenty of info out there on what is needed to lift that.  It will end up being way more than just swapping springs if you get above 3".  31x10.5's will fit stock with a little rub. There are several ways to fix that.

Old Man Emu (OME) for the win Jeep Comanche Lift Kit: 5-6" Jeep Comanche Lift Kit, OME (rocky-road.com) it says 5-6" lift but fit up to 33" tires. While that seems tall it's not really that extreme. Take a look on the forums to see various lifts, mine is 6" here's what it looks like from the side with 31" tires.

Drivers.jpg.e2f9bb0dbf0e44511d25d5b6d195396f.jpg

Front.jpg.8df6537f876b3119d13568f252e35bf6.jpg

OME lifts are known for their excellent on, and offroad handling characteristics. I've know people that used OME on CJs (4 leafs) and my friend who has one on his TJ (4 coils) both provide a stable on road ride and super flexible offroad handling.

As with any lift you need to plan on making some steering improvements, whether that is a dropped pitman arm or a high steer conversion, you will need to keep that in mind since most kits don't include that. 

Also, drivelines will likely need to be replaced, don't mess around just go to Tom Woods Custom Drive Shaft Shop | Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts (4xshaft.com) they are the best.

Also, yes you should plan for some body protection if you plan to go offroad, especially "rock crawling" at minimum rocker skids, otherwise you may end up with a Jeep that looks like mine :))

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

kits don't usually include the drop pitman because it's unnecessary up to 6".  and if you do do it, it needs to be done alongside a matching drop trackbar bracket or else bumpsteer comes into play. :L: 

Yep, but steering is something to be aware of, and check post install, with any height of lift.

Rocky road marketing never fails to impress. They can spin anything it seems. Be aware that’s the above kit does not to anything with the rear spring pack other than relocate it to the top of the axle. And the idea that all add-a-leafs are stiff or ride harsh is simply not true. As was started in an earlier post, around a 3” lift is the max before you need to start considering many other factors in a lift. 31’s with a puck lift up front would do the trick. At 3” lift you could stuff some 32’s in there but tire width and wheel backspacing are always going to play a role at most any lift height. I ran SOA rear and 6” lift up front but had to also install a different track bar and steering setup along with control arm drop brackets. Keep in mind though that I was running a metric 33” tire which runs just over a true 33x10.5. It wasn’t a lot of tire gain over a set of 31/32” tires. Her is a pic of 6” lift front with Metal Cloak 6” lift springs and SOA rear with factory 4wd leafs. I also had to run a slip yoke eliminator and custom rear driveshaft. 

55232EEB-668C-474B-A256-A0E6684C36E8.jpeg

A traction device will do far more for your offroad ability than a lift. Just throwing it out there. For 31s I'd do a double shear track bar, short arms, OME coils, new leafs, solid tie rod, steering refresh and good shocks. As other have said piecing it together is better than buying a "kit". Really depends on your budget and ability. 

18 minutes ago, Smokeyyank said:

A traction device will do far more for your offroad ability than a lift. Just throwing it out there. For 31s I'd do a double shear track bar, short arms, OME coils, new leafs, solid tie rod, steering refresh and good shocks. As other have said piecing it together is better than buying a "kit". Really depends on your budget and ability. 

:yeahthat:

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2023 at 2:04 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

Rocky road marketing never fails to impress. They can spin anything it seems. Be aware that’s the above kit does not to anything with the rear spring pack other than relocate it to the top of the axle. And the idea that all add-a-leafs are stiff or ride harsh is simply not true. As was started in an earlier post, around a 3” lift is the max before you need to start considering many other factors in a lift. 31’s with a puck lift up front would do the trick. At 3” lift you could stuff some 32’s in there but tire width and wheel backspacing are always going to play a role at most any lift height. I ran SOA rear and 6” lift up front but had to also install a different track bar and steering setup along with control arm drop brackets. Keep in mind though that I was running a metric 33” tire which runs just over a true 33x10.5. It wasn’t a lot of tire gain over a set of 31/32” tires. Her is a pic of 6” lift front with Metal Cloak 6” lift springs and SOA rear with factory 4wd leafs. I also had to run a slip yoke eliminator and custom rear driveshaft. 

55232EEB-668C-474B-A256-A0E6684C36E8.jpeg

What did you do for steering? I like RRO's rear lift kit but want metalcloak dual rates up front.  

As for steering, it seems everyone has an opinion on what works and what doesn't. RRO's steering kit checks a lot of boxes for geometry but the bolt together ends to the existing steering knuckles is a failure point I don't want to deal with. 

4 hours ago, Tex06 said:

What did you do for steering? I like RRO's rear lift kit but want metalcloak dual rates up front.  

As for steering, it seems everyone has an opinion on what works and what doesn't. RRO's steering kit checks a lot of boxes for geometry but the bolt together ends to the existing steering knuckles is a failure point I don't want to deal with. 

I ran ZJ steering linkage. I had the iron man track bar setup which had a 1.5” drop on the frame side bracket so I also installed a 1.5” drop pitman arm. Also used the iron man steering box sector bearing and support. Ran a PSC non-ported steering box. The steering and handling was absolutely wonderful given the amount of lift.