ancient cameras

Pete M

not my photo, but one of these bad boys fell into my lap. :D  now I just need to find a floppy!  and what I'm photographing better be within range of a cord, because that battery is loooong dead.  :laugh: 

WiTmwzV.jpg

You call that "ancient"?

Ancient is cameras that use -- you know -- FILM.

I have 3-1/2" floppies if you want a couple.

[Edit to add] It says "Dual Media." What are the dual media. Does it also take CF cards, or does that just means standard and high-density 3-1/2" floppies?

my film SLR was younger than this brick.  :D 

it also takes what they call a "Memory Stick" which was a defunct Sony-specific card.  a whopping 64mb version was included with this camera.  :L: 

I have one of these, which by digital standards is pretty ancient:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_Dimage_A1

It takes CF cards, of which I have a couple because my Canon EOS Rebel also uses CF cards. But this Minolta (which I got used) came with a MicroDrive card. MicroDrive was an IBM achievement back in the day. It's the same length and width as a CF card, but a little bit thicker. And inside is a very tiny, physical hard drive. The MicroDrive worked for a while after I got the camera, but it eventually died and I now have a CF card in it.

My ancient camera came from my grandpa. He was lucky enough to be drafted and sent to Germany during the Korean War.  He purchased this 35mm and spent time photographing the castles of Germany.

I have everything for it, flash bulbs, light meters, remote triggers.  Someday I'll buy some film and take photos with it.

20230112_182845.JPG

20230112_182900.JPG

20230112_182822.JPG

It's a Southbend 9in. Pretty close :D

Since the mamiya shaft was solid brass, I was able to get it within 6 thou of center true by doing nothing other than lightly tapping the bent end with a piece of hickory and keeping a close eye on the indicator. Pretty dang good. Prevented me from machining a new shaft or sacrificing another rb67 to harvest a working focusing shaft.

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2023 at 1:32 PM, FrankTheDog said:

.006? Get yourself a four jaw chuck and you’ll be able to get it within .001.

Very true! However, both my 3 jaw and 4 jaw backplates on the chucks have a few thou of runout on them. This is an unfortunate consequence of inheriting a retired school lathe. I am not complaining though, it has been invaluable over the past few years.

If anyone's interested, I completed my writeup on the Mamiya RB67 repair process here:

https://www.salvagedcircuitry.com/mamiya-rb67-repair.html

Thanks.