Clutch Issues

So, I'm trying to diagnose some clutch issues I'm having with my 86. It's the 2.8 w/ ax5. The previous owner says it has a new master and slave cylinders and the master looks new - can't see the slave obviously.

I've been intermittantly losing my clutch. It normally engages mid pedal, but sometimes, the pedal goes soft and it'll engage right off the floor. I pump it a few times, and it's back to normal. I'd say this hapens about 5% of the time. Maybe once everytime I drive it.

The other strange thing is when I first get it rolling when it's been sitting and cold, the clutch is grabby as hell. It wants to engage immediately which bogs the motor almost to stall. I jam the pedal back down, get some RPMs, try to slip it again with the same result. It bounces the hell out of the truck. It only does this on the first start when it's cold. After driving a bit, it's fine.

I ordered a new slave cyl, clutch, throwout bearing, and rear main seal just in case. If it is the slave cyl, I'll just hit em all at once.

Thanks in advance.

So, I'm trying to diagnose some clutch issues I'm having with my 86. It's the 2.8 w/ ax5. The previous owner says it has a new master and slave cylinders and the master looks new - can't see the slave obviously.

I've been intermittantly losing my clutch. It normally engages mid pedal, but sometimes, the pedal goes soft and it'll engage right off the floor. I pump it a few times, and it's back to normal. I'd say this hapens about 5% of the time. Maybe once everytime I drive it.

The other strange thing is when I first get it rolling when it's been sitting and cold, the clutch is grabby as hell. It wants to engage immediately which bogs the motor almost to stall. I jam the pedal back down, get some RPMs, try to slip it again with the same result. It bounces the hell out of the truck. It only does this on the first start when it's cold. After driving a bit, it's fine.

I ordered a new slave cyl, clutch, throwout bearing, and rear main seal just in case. If it is the slave cyl, I'll just hit em all at once.

Thanks in advance.

I'm getting the exact same thing your getting in my honda prelude. I'm pretty sure its the throw out bearing.. in my case. Some body told me it was my fly wheel being warped. I don't know but my car sounds alot like what your truck is doing. banging really hard when you let out of the clutch.

I'm not sure about a bearing issue. normally you can hear those when they start to go, right? A difference in sounds with the pedal in or out while in neutral?

Anyway, it's just strange it only grabs when it's cold.

Yeah I do have a shrill, guess I should of mentioned that. It's just the violent way it engages

You should be able to see the slave. 86 was an external slave setup.

Also, you said you ordered a new slave and a new throwout bearing? If it was an internal slave, those two would be one piece. Just FYI.

Sounds to me like something's leaking somewhere. Mine does something similiar, so I've gotten into the habit of just leaving it in neutral if I have to have the clutch pushed in for more than a few seconds. I've just now started to see some fluid coming from the bellhousing, although the level in the master isn't getting any lower.

Check above your fusebox for fluid. I had an 89 XJ that had the master go out in it right before I bought it, and it soaked the fuse box. That truck had a lot of electrical problems when we finally got rid of it.

That's good info. Thanks! I thought the ax5s were internal - it's hard to find accurate info on the intraweb - especially with everyone modding the hell out of these things.

Just a thought - could an improperly bled system cause the problems I am having?

Thanks!

That's good info. Thanks! I thought the ax5s were internal - it's hard to find accurate info on the intraweb - especially with everyone modding the hell out of these things.

Just a thought - could an improperly bled system cause the problems I am having?

Thanks!

The AX-5 has an external slave cylinder. I would try bleeding the clutch system before changing anything. It might just need bled out because it has some air in the system.

Not all Ax-5 are internal, same with the Ax-15, and if I'm not mistaken (which I may be) the Ba 10/5 has external kits.

My 91 with an Ax-4 has an internal, although I'm saying goodbye to that when the Converted Ax-5 goes in, which is out of an 86 XJ.

If for some strange reason yours is internal, I would switch it over to external while you've got everything apart.

Geonovast wrote

Not all Ax-5 are internal, same with the Ax-15, and if I'm not mistaken (which I may be) the Ba 10/5 has external kits.

I have never heard or seen external kits for the Ba 10/5, at lease here in the states. I too can be mistaken if there any pic's of this contraption it would be cool... at lease dishonorable mention :rotf:

I remember way back, when they used to see these in the shop. The way to bleed the clutch cylinders, is to unbolt the slave from the bellhousing and find a way to compress the rod that fits in the fork. A socket and a big vice grip is the way to go. One pump at a time and always fill the reservoir because it runs out quick. Hope this helps. Any questions let me know.