Adding cruise control to RENIX rigs (lots of pics)

The regulator is integral to the module right? I recently was diagnosing the CC on the MJ and found a defective multi-switch/stalk, replaced with a new one hoping for a quick resolution but no joy. I plan on thoroughly verifying all circuit inputs and outputs next and see what is going on there...

1 hour ago, zomeizter said:

The regulator is integral to the module right? I recently was diagnosing the CC on the MJ and found a defective multi-switch/stalk, replaced with a new one hoping for a quick resolution but no joy. I plan on thoroughly verifying all circuit inputs and outputs next and see what is going on there...

That can be a pain. It could be a faulty regulator to just simply a vacuum issue not engaging cruise control. 

7 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Actually if you look back at when the kit was first started by Dana, they had metal cased speed sensors where the threaded sides were different. Now as time went on and the kit was made on the side by Dana until someone bought it, they went to the plastic sensor which I’m sure accommodates for two different speedos, hence the adaptor. I don't know which make had the cable be the same on either side of the sensor but I’m willing to bet it was one of the big 3. 

I should have remembered that, I have both or had. I believe the 86 back ones I have had were metal or at least pulled a few that were. I'm also wondering then if these were made and used by about everything auto brand back then and hence the adapters more for make and model reasons. That being said, perhaps there is a way to find nos stock under different auto manufacturers.

6 hours ago, zomeizter said:

If by chance you find the regulator is faulty and eaglescout526 doesn't have spare, I have several. I guess I should save and pull cruise stalks the next time I hit any renix honey holes.

22 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

That can be a pain. It could be a faulty regulator to just simply a vacuum issue not engaging cruise control. 

Hoping it's a easy vacuum issue...

17 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I should have remembered that, I have both or had. I believe the 86 back ones I have had were metal or at least pulled a few that were. I'm also wondering then if these were made and used by about everything auto brand back then and hence the adapters more for make and model reasons. That being said, perhaps there is a way to find nos stock under different auto manufacturers.

If by chance you find the regulator is faulty and eaglescout526 doesn't have spare, I have several. I guess I should save and pull cruise stalks the next time I hit any renix honey holes.

Right on thanks!

• 2 months later...

I'm having a bit of trouble with my cruise after getting it installed.  When I engage it with the set/coast button it will just continue to accelerate.  I have set the potentiometers to the factory settings, the low speed potentiometer was set very high when I received the control box.  

Does anyone have any thoughts to check into before I start fiddling with settings?  

I will say that sometimes it does set to a speed near the speed I wanted but not exactly, usually a bit low.

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

You’ll need to keep playing with the pots in the control until you get it dialed in. That’s how they did it back then. Once your comfortable with where the adjustments are, send it. 

This is what I just finished doing on my favorite highway loop.  Works great now!  Will adjust it some more tomorrow to get it perfect, as I need to drive to Buffalo.

Only thing I find odd is the acceleration feature, it doesn't hold the speed you accelerate too, it just drops back down to the previously set speed after letting off the accelerate switch.

29 minutes ago, pizzaman09 said:

Only thing I find odd is the acceleration feature, it doesn't hold the speed you accelerate too, it just drops back down to the previously set speed after letting off the accelerate switch.

Yes it is supposed to do this. If you press the set button and set it and say you need to drop to a lower speed, you hold the button until you get to the desired speed and it will set. But if you wan to set a new acceleration, use the switch and then press the button and it should set too. But still a neat function.

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yes it is supposed to do this. If you press the set button and set it and say you need to drop to a lower speed, you hold the button until you get to the desired speed and it will set. But if you wan to set a new acceleration, use the switch and then press the button and it should set too. But still a neat function.

Ok, that's a little different.  My 99 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight has the same exact same control stock, and if you accelerate, it holds the new accelerated speed automatically.

Just now, pizzaman09 said:

Ok, that's a little different.  My 99 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight has the same exact same control stock, and if you accelerate, it holds the new accelerated speed automatically.

We are talking about 10 years difference in tech hahaha. ECU controls most of that stuff vs the crude circuit board with a single logic chip in a box. 

15 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

We are talking about 10 years difference in tech hahaha. ECU controls most of that stuff vs the crude circuit board with a single logic chip in a box. 

Apparently so, though that Oldsmobile was the final year of a car that came out in 92.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/18/2022 at 3:01 AM, Airborne Janitor said:

20221216_224341.jpg.094283132b3a9353e5022cde72b47f44.jpg

VACUUM/TCC SWITCH BRACKET, BRAKE SWITCH (CRUISE CONTROL VERSION)

Is there anywhere to source the bracket pictured on the left other than JY/Part outs? I'm not sure what to look up to try and find one online if so. I'm trying to do the caddy switch upgrade for a booster swap I've been struggling with for a while (I screwed up grinding the flat basically).

17 hours ago, conker said:

Is there anywhere to source the bracket pictured on the left other than JY/Part outs? I'm not sure what to look up to try and find one online if so. I'm trying to do the caddy switch upgrade for a booster swap I've been struggling with for a while (I screwed up grinding the flat basically).

I've got one in my parts rig. Yours for shipping cost if you still need it. You don't have cruise control right, (if you did you'd  already have the bracket)? I just did the swap on the XJ, but had to get a little creative to use the new switch and retain the vac dump.

• 4 months later...

Hi how can I get a hold of one? my posts aren't approved and I'm not allowed to send messages (it says I can send 0 per day sadly)

Mods please help me get in contact with this guy

thank you

On 2/7/2024 at 6:00 PM, abeb123 said:

Hi how can I get a hold of one? my posts aren't approved and I'm not allowed to send messages (it says I can send 0 per day sadly)

Mods please help me get in contact with this guy

thank you

sorry, bout that.  the spammer defense are kinda annoying.  but you should be good to go now. :L: 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, abeb123 said:

You sir! Are you still selling these and would they work for an 89 xj? I’d love to have one. Thank you guys!

Not really. I’m low or out of stock on a couple parts. I have everything else though. 

89XJ is Renix so yes it would work. Hell these would work in an HO XJ. 
I can assemble a “kit” of all the parts I have remaining, I’d have to make the vac harness unless you wish to make your own and you would have to source the 4 port “football” vacuum reservoir, brake switch and the stalk that controls cruise.