MJ/XJ header panel decor?

eaglescout526

I did some digging to see if I could find a post on folks hanging header panels and applying power to them, but I can not find the post right now.

Anywho has anyone done this? I think I have an idea on how I want to do this but I want to see if anyone else has done it with some good success.

1 minute ago, Muncher said:

I'd think to use some type of voltage converter behind the unit

This one I have a better idea on than actually hanging the header haha. I have an idea on how to hang the header as well but want to see if theres any good ideas out there that might be like mine.

My dad wired up a set of lights from a school bus for a friend, we used a voltage converter and 2 of the heavy duty flashers to make the lights flash. F0A250D2-0DD1-4D91-8D11-445FD482DB5F.jpeg.f091ba81853ccf6db7582ac15d7a03c9.jpegwe wired the lights in pairs and they worked quite well, I’m assuming you could wire the marker lights and headlights if you wanted straight to the converter, or through a couple of flashers to get them to flash independently of eachother A032BF9E-CE92-42FB-8B80-36856C09026E.jpeg.a0b5b2a32bca0080c238cce38437b683.jpeg

4 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Like hang up on the wall and light up the grill for a night light?? :shhh:

Precisely. 

2 hours ago, GrandBoost98 said:

I hung one up in my garage but never did lighting

How did you mount it on the wall? The four studs up top or the side fender mounts?

2 hours ago, jpnjake said:

My dad wired up a set of lights from a school bus for a friend, we used a voltage converter and 2 of the heavy duty flashers to make the lights flash. F0A250D2-0DD1-4D91-8D11-445FD482DB5F.jpeg.f091ba81853ccf6db7582ac15d7a03c9.jpegwe wired the lights in pairs and they worked quite well, I’m assuming you could wire the marker lights and headlights if you wanted straight to the converter, or through a couple of flashers to get them to flash independently of eachother A032BF9E-CE92-42FB-8B80-36856C09026E.jpeg.a0b5b2a32bca0080c238cce38437b683.jpeg

That’s pretty cool. I plan to do something like that except the flashing. Although that would be cool to have as a feature to turn on the hazards. 

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

I had intentions for hanging a waggy frontend, just never got around to it.  plans were to use a 6 or 9 volt converter to power the marker lights so they were dimmer than stock.  buuuuut that's as far as it got.  :(

That’s actually the plan. Hang the waggy and the Laredo headers I have. Use a low voltage converter so the lamps don’t get too hot or have to be replaced quicker. 

power supply cords for cable tv boxes, direct TV. etc generally take 110v AC and step it down to 12-14 volts DC. theyll have a sticker on them telling you its function. you might be able to use one to power the lights in a header panel. its a cool idea. ive thought about it actually, i think i have 4 or 5 header panels now😁

When I was looking at doing this I was thinking I'd use the mounting holes to screw it to a piece of plywood that had hangers mounted, so it would be an enclosed system, just one piece to mount and dismount from the wall. It also would give it a place to mount a factory bumper for a more complete look.