Anyone every find a Comanche with a T-4 or T-5 in it?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you don't read so well

Who? Me?

lol. yeah...the Original owner asked for it that way. the whole thing is strange.

I read your post quite well. I would bet on it having 3.54 gears. There is hardly any difference between 3.54 gears and 3.55 gears. Basically the same ratio. They are so close that you can run them together on a 4WD.

you don't read so well

Who? Me?

lol. yeah...the Original owner asked for it that way. the whole thing is strange.

I read your post quite well. I would bet on it having 3.54 gears. There is hardly any difference between 3.54 gears and 3.55 gears. Basically the same ratio. They are so close that you can run them together on a 4WD.

the ratio when I checked was 3.547 or something like that, so it would figure to 3.55 actually. I said you can't read well because you're disregarding what the PO ordered it as.

anyways, BACK TO TOPIC. T4/T5 in comanches.

you don't read so well

Who? Me?

the ratio when I checked was 3.547 or something like that, so it would figure to 3.55 actually. I said you can't read well because you're disregarding what the PO ordered it as.

anyways, BACK TO TOPIC. T4/T5 in comanches.

I would still say it has 3.54 gears because that's what was available on that drivetrain and you couldn't order anything else, but that or 4.10 gears with it. Just like a 4 speed wasn't available from the factory with the 2.8L V6. There is nothing special about it. It is your base model 1986 Comanche with a 2.8L V6 and a 5 speed with 3.54 gears. I am not disregarding what you say the previous owner said he ordered it with. I am saying I think the previous owner told you a big lie. It did not come that way from the factory. Someone put the transmission in it obviously. If it came that way from the factory the VIN would say that it came with a 4 speed from the factory and it does not.

lay off it a$$hat

I am not doing anything. All I am doing is stating the facts and you can't face the facts.

Actually, as I'm reading it, you're stating 99.9% of the facts that Jeepco already stated. All you're doing is putting them in your own words attempting to make him look bad. I've read this thread thoroughly, and have seen his truck firsthand, and can tell you that what he's stated is in fact correct. Look back on your own posts in here, and then read his more closely; notice anything? THEY'RE ALMOST IDENTICAL!! Put the pipe down, get off your high horse, get your head out of your @$$, and come back to the real world. Only then will you be treated with more respect.

I apologize to those who know me and know I'm not usually like this. Can we please get back to the subject that this thread was originally meant to be about?

lay off it a$$hat

I am not doing anything. All I am doing is stating the facts and you can't face the facts.

facts

jeep was bought from dealer with ax4.

jeep HAS 3.55 gears, the dif plate said so

I'm third owner if you count it being in my mother's name

it sat in a field behind a barn for 11-13 years until 2004 when I got it

motor was also replaced at some point in time

it's the way it came to me, and the story I got, plus the scraps of paperwork I got with it (they were literally that) indicated the story I got was true. it's a mutt, but it's one god damned nice mutt.

so mr. 53 posts and person_who_knows_too_much_about_1986 comanches, please just calm down and stop being so adament. cars get ordered with funny options all the time, you've now seen one that's strange as hell

lay off it a$$hat

Actually, as I'm reading it, you're stating 99.9% of the facts that Jeepco already stated. All you're doing is putting them in your own words attempting to make him look bad. I've read this thread thoroughly, and have seen his truck firsthand, and can tell you that what he's stated is in fact correct. Look back on your own posts in here, and then read his more closely; notice anything? THEY'RE ALMOST IDENTICAL!! Put the pipe down, get off your high horse, get your head out of your @$$, and come back to the real world. Only then will you be treated with more respect.

I apologize to those who know me and know I'm not usually like this. Can we please get back to the subject that this thread was originally meant to be about?

Yeah, his posts read that I'm wrong and that his Comanche came from the factory with a 2.8L V6 and a 4 speed. My posts read that the 2.8L V6 never came from the factory with a 4 speed and that it was a 5 speed originally. That is the same as his posts isn't it? Yeah right...

i have read it on a Jeep tech site that the borg-warner t/4 and t/5 were used in the 86 comanches....and as a matter of fact the 86 cherokees as well

my buddy has a T-5 in his 86 cherokee and i have had the pleasure of seeing it first hand because we had to pull it out...his jeep is totally stock other than suspension 86 XJ 4x4 w/ 2.8 T-5 Np207

also another buddy has an 86 MJ 2wd with a 2.8 T-4 with 3.54's from the factory and i know this b/c he has the original build sheet...his dad had the truck ordered that way from the factory back in 1986..his vin number states the same thing as JEEPCOMJ's does...just states its a 4spd trans, no specific tranny...but the buildsheet he has confirmed what i had thought

so I'm my experience i have seen in the 86 models the AX4, AX5, T-4 and T-5

stop argument now.

I corrected my posts, it came from dealership that way, according to the PO. there ya go.

end of argument this club is not for petty disputes, I'm NOT arguing that the 86 didn't come with a ax4, although I know there are some out there. mine had an ax4 from dealer (again, according to PO and bits and pieces of paperwork), which is strange.

I admit that they probably didn't come from factory like that, but it did have 3.55 gears in it, and it most certainly does now since the swap to 4wd.

again, I cannot stress how much this is NOT going to continue as an argument. this is about T5/T4 transmissions, not about anyone being the 1986 god. if you continue, I'll be requesting that the post be locked or that Pete wipe the posts, cause it's ridiculous

He admitted that it was originally a 5 speed! The VIN plate even shows it; just that after the dealership was done with their use of it, the first owner that bought it, bought it with the 4 speed instead. Now, whether the original tranny was weak and/or blew up or not, is disputable, but regardless, it was bought FROM the dealership WITH the 4 speed.

I GIVE UP :hateputers: :headpop:

i have read it on a Jeep tech site that the borg-warner t/4 and t/5 were used in the 86 comanches....and as a matter of fact the 86 cherokees as well

my buddy has a T-5 in his 86 cherokee and i have had the pleasure of seeing it first hand because we had to pull it out...his jeep is totally stock other than suspension 86 XJ 4x4 w/ 2.8 T-5 Np207

also another buddy has an 86 MJ 2wd with a 2.8 T-4 with 3.54's from the factory and i know this b/c he has the original build sheet...his dad had the truck ordered that way from the factory back in 1986..his vin number states the same thing as JEEPCOMJ's does...just states its a 4spd trans, no specific tranny...but the buildsheet he has confirmed what i had thought

so I'm my experience i have seen in the 86 models the AX4, AX5, T-4 and T-5

So, Another dealer installed 4 speed?

yea ordered this way when he purchased it...did not want the 5spd b/c it was extra $ and it was only going to be a ranch truck so he didnt need the extra gear...when my buddy got it we pulled everything out for a rebuild (motor and trans) and i know what an AX4 looked like and it was not one...so we found the build sheet and associated paperwork only to find out it was a T-4...total surprise to me but its a factory deal

stop argument now.

I corrected my posts, it came from dealership that way, according to the PO. there ya go.

end of argument this club is not for petty disputes, I'm NOT arguing that the 86 didn't come with a ax4, although I know there are some out there. mine had an ax4 from dealer (again, according to PO and bits and pieces of paperwork), which is strange.

I admit that they probably didn't come from factory like that, but it did have 3.55 gears in it, and it most certainly does now since the swap to 4wd.

again, I cannot stress how much this is NOT going to continue as an argument. this is about T5/T4 transmissions, not about anyone being the 1986 god. if you continue, I'll be requesting that the post be locked or that Pete wipe the posts, cause it's ridiculous

I agree, I do not want to argue about this. It is not worth it. I am not disputing anything you have said about it coming that way to you. I am not claiming to know everything about Comanches and I am sure I have a lot more to learn. I learn something new everyday, such as this. I don't even know what 4 speed my 1986 has in it. I have never really checked into it and I would like to know now. I do know that it came from the factory with a 4 speed though. I am unsure whether it is a T-4 or an AX-4. I am guessing that it is an AX-4 by what I know, but there is no guarantee. I will have to find out though.

So, if you guys are finished about the AX-4, I'm proposing this amendment to the jeepwiki page concerning the T-4 and T-5:

"Although not officially offered by Jeep, the T-4 (4-speed) and T-5 (5-speed) manual transmissions have been known to pop up in some 86 Comanches. The T-4 and T-5 is fully interchangeable with the AX-4 and AX-5"

So, if you guys are finished about the AX-4, I'm proposing this amendment to the jeepwiki page concerning the T-4 and T-5:

"Although not officially offered by Jeep, the T-4 (4-speed) and T-5 (5-speed) manual transmissions have been known to pop up in some 86 Comanches. The T-4 and T-5 is fully interchangeable with the AX-4 and AX-5"

Ah the Good Ole' days of the AMC assembly line :cheers: I can see this same discussion about what parts come in the Chinese 2500 (XJ) from what I have read they have interesting assembly line etiquette in China ;)