Anyone every find a Comanche with a T-4 or T-5 in it?

Anyone every find a Comanche with a T-4 or T-5 in it? They were used in 84-85 Cherokees and I vaguely remember years ago someone saying they had one in their MJ and I guess I just filed it away as fact in my head and never thought about it again.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old 88 MJ, now my daughters, has a 2.5 with the OEM T4 & 231. That thing didn't have enuf HP/Torque to do any harm to the tranny. It was great on the flats but showed its short coming on any slight hill. I drove it WOT to get the best out of it. So does she. :brows:

Anyone every find a Comanche with a T-4 or T-5 in it? They were used in 84-85 Cherokees and I vaguely remember years ago someone saying they had one in their MJ and I guess I just filed it away as fact in my head and never thought about it again.

To the best of my knowledge the T-4 and T-5 were never used in the Comanche. They were only available in the 1984 Cherokee when they had a production shortage of the AX4 and AX-5. My 1986 Jeep Comanche factory workshop manual does not list the T-4 or T-5 as being used. They only list the AX-4 and AX-5. Also people keep insisting that the 2.8L V6 came with an AX-4 4 speed manual transmission and they did not. They were never available with a 4 speed and it was never an option. The 2.8L V6 either had an AX-5 5 speed manual or a 3 speed automatic. The 2.1L Turbo Diesel was only available with a 5 speed manual.

To the best of my knowledge the T-4 and T-5 were never used in the Comanche. They were only available in the 1984 Cherokee when they had a production shortage of the AX4 and AX-5. My 1986 Jeep Comanche factory workshop manual does not list the T-4 or T-5 as being used. They only list the AX-4 and AX-5. Also people keep insisting that the 2.8L V6 came with an AX-4 4 speed manual transmission and they did not. They were never available with a 4 speed and it was never an option. The 2.8L V6 either had an AX-5 5 speed manual or a 3 speed automatic. The 2.1L Turbo Diesel was only available with a 5 speed manual.

sorry to call it...but that's not correct. my 1986 comanche was 2wd and ax4 originally. it had a 2.8 and had never had anything done to it except blow the transmission, and replace the blown 2.8 with a rebuilt 2.8. after the tranny blew, it sat in a field for years and years until I came up on it, with the tranny laying in pieces in the bed. oh, it had 60,000 original miles on it at that point as well.

sorry to call it...but that's not correct. my 1986 comanche was 2wd and ax4 originally. it had a 2.8 and had never had anything done to it except blow the transmission, and replace the blown 2.8 with a rebuilt 2.8. after the tranny blew, it sat in a field for years and years until I came up on it, with the tranny laying in pieces in the bed. oh, it had 60,000 original miles on it at that point as well.

Nope. That's not possible. The Factory manual states the AX-4 was used with the 2.5L I-4 only. That's it. The Factory Showroom brochure also states the same under 4 speed manual floor shift it states NA V6 or Diesel. I am sure they know what they built. It probably was an AX-5.

Nope. That's not possible. The Factory manual states the AX-4 was used with the 2.5L I-4 only. That's it. The Factory Showroom brochure also states the same under 4 speed manual floor shift it states NA V6 or Diesel. I am sure they know what they built. It probably was an AX-5.

hey bud, I'm not sure really what your skills are or anything, or your history, but I can tell you, when I get a vehicle with a 4 speed manual transmission, I can tell. it was a factory 4 speed 2wd manual.

now, I'm not sure if you understand something about jeep; any owner could basically order the jeep however they wanted, so long as the feature was a available feature. now, being that it's the same bellhousing, same transmission EXCEPT that the ax5 simply has a 5th gear and syncro (geonovast did a ax4 to ax5 swap using parts from my dad's old diesel transmission), they're easily interchangeable. the thing is, I'm the second (3rd since it was in my mom's name for 2 years) owner of the vehicle, and the original owner said he ordered it 2wd 2.8 4 speed because it never saw winter or highway use. he didn't need 5th gear so he didn't get it.

just because it wasn't available in the brochure or on the showroom floor doesn't mean a build sheet couldn't be built for it. that's almost like saying that 1986 was the only year for a 4 cylinder 5 speed 4wd comanche (I've been told that's fact, when I owned a factory original 4 cyl 5 speed 1987 4wd comanche, and that trans is now in this 86).

anyways, back to Pete's topic, yes I've seen 3 comanches with T4 or T5 transmissions, years 86 to 87, and 2 were 4 cylinders, the other was a v6. the v6 was a swap and the engine/tranny were from an 84 or 85 2.8 cherokee, so that doesn't count.

Find the build sheet (it's under the seat usually)

Anyone interested in a T5? I have one from my '83 J10, but it's a parts trans (it was run too low on oil and the synchros welded themselves to the main shaft). All included except the trans crossbar for $100

Find the build sheet (it's under the seat usually)

kind of can't be done anymore...all of the extensive "factory"mods that I've done to the truck...(a.k.a. switch to bucket seats, door stickers lost in paint job, swapped interior to black, redid header panel for 4.0 radiator, 3.8 camaro swap, 4wd swap, power locks, and a/c swap is next)

I even checked with chrysler and jeep and couldn't get me a build sheet for the truck.

hey bud, I'm not sure really what your skills are or anything, or your history, but I can tell you, when I get a vehicle with a 4 speed manual transmission, I can tell. it was a factory 4 speed 2wd manual.

now, I'm not sure if you understand something about jeep; any owner could basically order the jeep however they wanted, so long as the feature was a available feature. now, being that it's the same bellhousing, same transmission EXCEPT that the ax5 simply has a 5th gear and syncro (geonovast did a ax4 to ax5 swap using parts from my dad's old diesel transmission), they're easily interchangeable. the thing is, I'm the second (3rd since it was in my mom's name for 2 years) owner of the vehicle, and the original owner said he ordered it 2wd 2.8 4 speed because it never saw winter or highway use. he didn't need 5th gear so he didn't get it.

just because it wasn't available in the brochure or on the showroom floor doesn't mean a build sheet couldn't be built for it. that's almost like saying that 1986 was the only year for a 4 cylinder 5 speed 4wd comanche (I've been told that's fact, when I owned a factory original 4 cyl 5 speed 1987 4wd comanche, and that trans is now in this 86).

anyways, back to Pete's topic, yes I've seen 3 comanches with T4 or T5 transmissions, years 86 to 87, and 2 were 4 cylinders, the other was a v6. the v6 was a swap and the engine/tranny were from an 84 or 85 2.8 cherokee, so that doesn't count.

I did not say they couldn't be swapped, of course they can be swapped they are basically the same transmission and that is the only way you'd have an AX-4 with a 2.8L V6. I would need a valid VIN before I will believe that it came from the factory with a 2.8L V6 and a 4 speed. That will verify it right there for a fact.

I've heard of the install due to shortages a few times, and agree with Pat that it is stock. If there was a shortage that caused t-5s to be where AX5s should have been, why wouldn't they put an AX4 where a AX5 should be?

Chryco can't get build sheets on '86s cause it was still AMC. Tried for mine, and :cry: over it.

I've heard of the install due to shortages a few times, and agree with Pat that it is stock. If there was a shortage that caused t-5s to be where AX5s should have been, why wouldn't they put an AX4 where a AX5 should be?

Because a T5 and an AX5 are both 5-speeds, but an AX4 is a 4-speed.

JeepCo, what's the VIN on that 2.8L 4-speed? I'm not doubting that it came to you that way, but since I know what could and could not be ordered from the factory back then, I don't think it was factory.

I've seen 2 86 2wd drive 4bangers with t-4's. I've also came across a 86 4wd 4 banger with a t-5, but I have a feeling it wasn't factory. The 4wd had the 4.0l fire wall so I'm thinking it was a later build model and was swapped in somewhere along the lines.

I've seen 2 86 2wd drive 4bangers with t-4's. I've also came across a 86 4wd 4 banger with a t-5, but I have a feeling it wasn't factory. The 4wd had the 4.0l fire wall so I'm thinking it was a later build model and was swapped in somewhere along the lines.

yet another common misconception...the firewalls changed in the early 86 year to the "4.0" firewall. realistically, the firewalls are only different by about 3" in the bellhousing area on the right hand side, so a hammer fixes the issue when you swap.

JeepCo, what's the VIN on that 2.8L 4-speed? I'm not doubting that it came to you that way, but since I know what could and could not be ordered from the factory back then, I don't think it was factory.

So, JeepcoMJ what is the VIN on this so called "factory" Comanche with a 2.8L V6 and a 4 speed? We want to verify this.

home, got vin

here's the site I used to decode it

ftp://www.knwd.net/pub/jeep/86-88_MJ_VIN_decoder.rtf

1. US manufactured

J. Chrysler Motors & Jeep

T. Truck

W. 2.8L V6 2 Bbl. (Gasoline)

W. 5 speed manual shift/2wd

6. eliminator (S)

6. 2dr pickup

1. ????

0. *Manufacturer assigned

G. 1986

T. Toledo, Ohio (production plant)

following is the sequential serial number (production sequence)

from factory, it WAS an ax5 5 speed. when I got the truck, I also got dealership papers (chewed by mice so I tossed them) that stated it was sold as an ax4 4 speed. I got it with said 4 speed, and it had the engine replaced with a small journal (1985 or prior) 2.8 chevy motor. so, this truck never made it to public as built from factory.

another interesting thing is that it's an "eliminator" or "S" package I presume that the "S" would be 1986 and eliminator is 88 and higher.

anyways, correct from factory they were not 4 speeds, from what I can tell. this one was requested with a 4 speed so I presume they did that at the dealership, or in a subsequent repair when the motor was replaced.

home, got vin

here's the site I used to decode it

ftp://www.knwd.net/pub/jeep/86-88_MJ_VIN_decoder.rtf

1. US manufactured

J. Chrysler Motors & Jeep

T. Truck

W. 2.8L V6 2 Bbl. (Gasoline)

W. 5 speed manual shift/2wd

6. eliminator (S)

6. 2dr pickup

1. ????

0. *Manufacturer assigned

G. 1986

T. Toledo, Ohio (production plant)

following is the sequential serial number (production sequence)

from factory, it WAS an ax5 5 speed. when I got the truck, I also got dealership papers (chewed by mice so I tossed them) that stated it was sold as an ax4 4 speed. I got it with said 4 speed, and it had the engine replaced with a small journal (1985 or prior) 2.8 chevy motor. so, this truck never made it to public as built from factory.

another interesting thing is that it's an "eliminator" or "S" package I presume that the "S" would be 1986 and eliminator is 88 and higher.

anyways, correct from factory they were not 4 speeds, from what I can tell. this one was requested with a 4 speed so I presume they did that at the dealership, or in a subsequent repair when the motor was replaced.

According to the 1986 Jeep Comanche Factory Workshop manual VIN decoder on page A-3 your VIN decodes as follows:

1 - United States

J - Jeep Corporation

T - Truck

W - 2.8 Liter V6

W - 5 speed floor shift (2WD)

66 - 2WD Comanche

1 - Trim Package - Custom

0 - Check Digit

G - 1986

T - Toledo, Ohio

022101 - Sequential Serial Number

Evidently your Comanche came from the factory with a 2.8L V6 and a 5 speed transmission.

6. eliminator (S)

6. 2dr pickup

Also there is no such thing as a Comanche Eliminator or a Comanche (S) in 1986. That VIN decoder is wrong. Those 6s do not mean anything by themselves. In other words each 6 does not mean something. They are together. 66 is the series of truck that it is. Every Comanche from 1986 to 1988 that is 2WD and has a longbed is a 66 series. Mine is a 66 series also because it is 2WD and it is a longbed of course. Every 1986 Comanche is a longbed. 65 series is the longbed 4WD Comanche, 63 series is the shortbed 4WD Comanche and 64 series is the shortbed 2WD Comanche.

6. eliminator (S)

6. 2dr pickup

Also there is no such thing as a Comanche Eliminator or a Comanche (S) in 1986. That VIN decoder is wrong. Those 6s do not mean anything by themselves. In other words each 6 does not mean something. They are together. 66 is the series of truck that it is. Every Comanche from 1986 to 1988 that is 2WD and has a longbed is a 66 series. Mine is a 66 series also because it is 2WD and it is a longbed of course. Every 1986 Comanche is a longbed. 65 series is the longbed 4WD Comanche, 63 series is the shortbed 4WD Comanche and 64 series is the shortbed 2WD Comanche.

thanks. if I'd had a better decoder site I'd have known that already. bookmarked.

any idea why a dealer would swap the 4 speed in the truck?. I think it's pretty odd.

thanks. if I'd had a better decoder site I'd have known that already. bookmarked.

any idea why a dealer would swap the 4 speed in the truck?. I think it's pretty odd.

its pretty odd for a dealer to do ANYTHING if they didn't get paid for it. especially if it involves swapping a 5speed for a 4 speed with the same gearing? that's just a complete waste of time unless the one is exploded. :dunno: thats weird man. you said they also swapped motors at the same time?

its pretty odd for a dealer to do ANYTHING if they didn't get paid for it. especially if it involves swapping a 5speed for a 4 speed with the same gearing? that's just a complete waste of time unless the one is exploded. :dunno: thats weird man. you said they also swapped motors at the same time?

I'm not sure when they swapped motors. the truck was sold in mid-87 and I think it was a dealership vehicle when it was sold. maybe they beat on it and blew it up and swapped in what they had to sell it? the PO explicitly said he requested it built with an ax4 and v6 2wd. it came with 3.55 gears.

lemme see if I can dig up all the info I have left...

I'm not sure when they swapped motors. the truck was sold in mid-87 and I think it was a dealership vehicle when it was sold. maybe they beat on it and blew it up and swapped in what they had to sell it? the PO explicitly said he requested it built with an ax4 and v6 2wd. it came with 3.55 gears.

lemme see if I can dig up all the info I have left...

It probably has 3.54 gears since that is one of the ratios available in 1986 with the 2.8L V6 and 5 speed. I would say it was swapped out because the old transmission went bad and that's probably what they had laying around or they got it somewhere cheap, so they put it in just to sell it and most people wouldn't know about it, or know the difference really.