Title Transfer Woes

ComancheK

In May I bought a 1987 Jeep Comanche. The seller (who was in North Carolina) gave me a Tennessee title signed over in 2005. The title was not transferred to the previous owner. The truck has not been on the road since 2005. I'd planned to repair the truck to bring it into a road-worthy condition, but the South Carolina DMV insists the Title must be in the previous owners name, then signed over to me. Did I buy a parts truck?

Thanks. 

So, since the 'previous' owner didn't title it, would the previous previous owner, still be the owner? I do have a 2001 XJ that had a similar problem.  Changed some hands, and the title was already written on. Also, on a 2000 XJ, I own. On the 2000, I wrote big with a black marker. It passed. On the 2001, that didn't work. I had to fill out a form and send it to the previous, previous .. owner. He signed that. Then I title the vehicle. So, maybe check into that.

Also, I hear VT has lax tittle laws. They might title out of State vehicles. Might be worth looking into. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 6:35 PM, ComancheK said:

In May I bought a 1987 Jeep Comanche. The seller (who was in North Carolina) gave me a Tennessee title signed over in 2005. The title was not transferred to the previous owner. The truck has not been on the road since 2005. I'd planned to repair the truck to bring it into a road-worthy condition, but the South Carolina DMV insists the Title must be in the previous owners name, then signed over to me. Did I buy a parts truck?

Thanks. 

So if I'm reading this right, the title is signed over and dated to the guy you bought it from, but he never registered it? I'm also from SC. Never had problems skipping owners as long as they didn't sign or date the title for the earlier sale 

I had the same thing happen a while back

on a motorcycle title.

I had to get a letter stating, from the seller

that the motorcyle was sold, previously and the potential

buyer signed the title but at the last minute, bailed out

of the purchase and that deal had fallen through.

youngfred

Tennessee title.

Front page

Assignment/Title issued 08-20-2004 (w/ Lienholder)

Lien released 12/28/2004

Back page

Signed by original owner to first buyer 9/15/2005

Signed by second owner to (no one, still blank)

date of sale 10-22-2005

Sales price, State Sales Tax and Local Option Tax does not match

The truck had gone through at least two owners before I purchased it. Neither of those owners had the Title transferred to their name.

Thanks.

Is there anything preventing you from putting your own or someone else’s name where it was signed and dated but left blank, and “buying” it from them? Obviously that’s legally questionable, but so long as the vehicle hasn’t been reported stolen or anything like that (Carfax or a state database will help you out here) then it’s very unlikely the person working the DMV will do much more than raise an eyebrow at different inks or something.

The whole concept of a title document seems strange and archaic to me. My current jurisdiction only requires a bill of sale to register a vehicle. They search the vin in the provincial database and if it comes up clear then you’re good. If it’s not in the database (i.e. it came from somewhere else) you need to get it inspected first and they’ll check national databases, but if it comes up clear then no one will question your documents. There’s no actual paper ownership document other than the bill of sale, which honestly can be written on just about anything as long as it includes the VIN, price, and who you bought it from. 

Some of this comes down to who's behind the counter. As I said above, one of mine they accepted and the other not. Just did a slightly better job of over writing the one ,I guess. Also, I own property in WV. It came with an old farm house and a mobile Home. Note 'Mobile'. So, I went to get it registered. Note, I'm a resident of IN. Not WV. Although some states do have dual residency in these matters. So, technically, since the Mobile Home is 'mobile', it is treated as a vehicle. ???? A look right, a look left, and the clerk registered it.