What is this on my axel/Differential

Just as the title says. I was looking around waiting for my wife to get off work and noticed this. l_970db1bbcb89ef62b9cdaea389267f88.jpg What in the world is that thing and what does it do?? Also where that metal shaft connects to the diff into that plastic piece is split. Should I bother with it or just leave it be? Truck is a 88 Pioneer automatic 2wd with the 2.5L and the axel is a D35c....If I remember correctly.

Oh well if thats what it is the thing is a bit useless at the moment since I have no rear brakes..things aren't even hooked up...I couldn't find where in the line it was leaking back at the end of summer so for the time being they are disconnected.

I believe that question was directed to me. Yes but even though it doesn't sound like it I do have another vechical which is used 98% of the time. Yeah its probably not advised and unsafe but when you have no money to take it to people fix the problem these are things that "poor" (term used loosely because I am lucky to have a home and a daily driver and such) people do to get by until a later time to try and fix the problem.

Does anyone have the little arm that connects the valve to the axle? I found this same thing today when working on my turd. All the parts are there except for the little connector piece, and I'd like to connect them.

Thanks!

Josh

I have a few of them. pm me

Just as the title says. I was looking around waiting for my wife to get off work and noticed this. l_970db1bbcb89ef62b9cdaea389267f88.jpg What in the world is that thing and what does it do?? Also where that metal shaft connects to the diff into that plastic piece is split. Should I bother with it or just leave it be? Truck is a 88 Pioneer automatic 2wd with the 2.5L and the axel is a D35c....If I remember correctly.

Check your diff. You may have the widely coveted 4.56 gears in that rear diff. If so then remember that before you do something with your axle or the truck.