2 things...

first off, I'm taking bets.... who wants to guess what t-case i have before i crawl under and look.... when i bought it, i assumed it was a 231 from the shift pattern, but now my dash lights up sometimes in 2wd with a "part time" light, which would mean i could have a 242, right?? so place your bets..

also, how common is it to have a column shifter in an MJ??

and c: what is the jeep part number for the bushings for the tilt?

Hey Josh...it is most likely a 231 My '88 has a 231 and the "part time" light is what shows that you are in 4wd. I had to replace the vacuum switch on mine as the part time light was staying on all the time because of the switch being stuck.

The part time light is what comes on when a 231 is in 4wd. A 242 equipped truck has 2 lights, part time and full time.

SO I'm going to guess 231

I'm going to guess a 231 with a disconnect front axle and a vacuum leak.

The housing for the lights probably contains the 4wd full time light also. Just no bulb, or hook-up to it. It seems like the last time I tore a dash apart all of the spots were, just no sockets.

if the sun is comin over my shoulder at the dash my truck (np231) has the FULL TIME light, you can barely make it ou along with the other lights like EMISS MAIN. and stuff.

the full time light is greenish blueish,

I've seen 2 comanches with factory 242, and one was a 90 shortbed base model, but the owner ordered full-time. the other was an 88 or 89 but I don't think it was original.

I have a 242 case going into the 3800 in a few weeks :D but that's just cause I got lucky and the 90 xj should be 21 spline input, which works with the ax5 tranny in the 3800 8)

I've seen 2 comanches with factory 242, and one was a 90 shortbed base model, but the owner ordered full-time. the other was an 88 or 89 but I don't think it was original.

I'm 99% sure my donor 87 came with a 242 in it, I'll have to check. It's in my 86 now though.

yea but the np207 is the little bro to the 231, and it's a piece

they worth anything? I'm tripping over my 2.8/auto/tcase combo over here.