G's Chief

This will be a story, an adventure, a restoration that starts with a 12-year old boy's dream of driving his Jeep pickup to school the day he gets his driver's license,

This '87 Comanche Chief was sold new in the Charlotte, NC area. The original owner removed the sport bar and tailgate at some point to install a utility type bed cover for his work. The sport bar got misplaced through the years. This Comanche is virtually rust-free with the exception of the tailpipe.

The owner is "G", our 12-year old son. He is an old-soul kid who like's 80's county music, old cars and wears jeans, boots and a trucker hat everyday. His plan for the Comanche is to restore it to 'factory original' and use it as his daily driver. His other project and weekend ride is going to be a 1970 J-2000 SWB, Dauntless 350, 3-sp in the floor with ProComp 35's. He is currently working however he can to earn the money for both projects. His football jersey number has been 22 since 1st grade. I guess tomorrow would be the perfect "start date" for the Comanche. So it begins- 2-22-22 for #22.

Driver's side.jpg

34 minutes ago, 87 MJ Chief said:

One of the first things we need to replace is the PS black seatbelt webbing. Is it better to replace the entire assembly or just the webbing? Is it an MJ only assembly?

Thanks!

Typically, this is something you would want to post in the tech section just so more eyes will see and be able to answer you. Now the seatbelt assembly in the B-pillar is an MJ only assembly and some have sent theirs off to be repaired while others have tried to make XJ ones work. Now black is an interior color that ran from 86-87 making it a bit more rare and desirable color choice for some. You could post a wanted ad in the classifieds for one or theres a topic somewhere with a companies website to send the assembly to.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a few minutes to work on G's Chief so I wanted to fix the pass side headlight.

IMG_20220326_134004464.jpg.9a5a24fe2636d4cae26b49ace183a196.jpg

Once i got the headlight removed I found the problem-

IMG_20220320_185908651.jpg.05f910907b145288d3db82a983542c1b.jpg

The 35 yr old plastic bucket screw mounting inserts had broke.

I purchased new ones (2 per pack) from O

Reilly's, and fished them in.

IMG_20220326_141710361.jpg.04c007d4d1aa951122b88ade177cbe58.jpg

Put everything back in and adjusted headlight angle. Had to use long needle nose pliers for the top one and a long flat screwdriver with masking tape for the side slot.

IMG_20220326_135956467.jpg

You should also do a headlight relay harness. I recommend KSuspension. The stock headlight switch is known to catch fire and the stock headlights are terrible. The relay harness fixes both of those issues. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 3:31 PM, 87 MJ Chief said:

Had a few minutes to work on G's Chief so I wanted to fix the pass side headlight.

Once i got the headlight removed I found the problem-

The 35 yr old plastic bucket screw mounting inserts had broke.

I purchased new ones (2 per pack) from O

Reilly's, and fished them in.

Thank you for taking the time to post about the fix for this.  I drove mine tonight and I thought, "My headlight is burned out."  Then got out and saw it was on, but immediately saw how it was aimed so low.  Got on here, and there was the fix in your post.  It was 9:45, and to my surprise my O'Reilly's large distribution store closes at 11pm.  I had it fixed in no time.  

You must be very proud of your son.    Cool kid with awesome taste!  The J2000 is going to be awesome, too!    

I'm glad I could contribute a little help to the community.

My wife and I are sooo proud of G right now! He stays on me to 'show him' how to do things, and gets mad if I just do it.

We are still putting together a restoration to-do list. We haven't had any time to work on it over the past few weeks. G's big brother is 16 and daily drives a '00 XJ, so that keeps me on a creeper about 3 nights a week lol.

Thank you @87MJJeepfor your comments. G will be tickled to hear "cool kid with awesome taste".

On 4/26/2022 at 10:36 AM, 87 MJ Chief said:

I'm glad I could contribute a little help to the community.

My wife and I are sooo proud of G right now! He stays on me to 'show him' how to do things, and gets mad if I just do it.

We are still putting together a restoration to-do list. We haven't had any time to work on it over the past few weeks. G's big brother is 16 and daily drives a '00 XJ, so that keeps me on a creeper about 3 nights a week lol.

Thank you @87MJJeepfor your comments. G will be tickled to hear "cool kid with awesome taste".

Sorry to not reply sooner.  Does big brother just enjoy the '00 XJ as a daily driver, or does he have or desire other automotive toys like his little brother?  

Let's shoot for 7 nights a week on a creeper!  

"L" (G's big brother) is into automotive toys too. He has the '51 Willys and a '69 Dodge D100 long term project truck. L is at that stage where girlfriend comes first, so he's more interested in just keeping the XJ getting him from point A to point B right now.

With a little time and a lot of luck, we're going to get my '73 Duster and his CJ-2A ready for the local main street cruise-ins this summer. We may take G's Chief to one, but only half the family can fit in those bucket seats :laugh:.

After 3 nights a week on a creeper, does it change into a sleeper? 

On 5/2/2022 at 9:59 AM, 87 MJ Chief said:

"L" (G's big brother) is into automotive toys too. He has the '51 Willys and a '69 Dodge D100 long term project truck. L is at that stage where girlfriend comes first, so he's more interested in just keeping the XJ getting him from point A to point B right now.

With a little time and a lot of luck, we're going to get my '73 Duster and his CJ-2A ready for the local main street cruise-ins this summer. We may take G's Chief to one, but only half the family can fit in those bucket seats :laugh:.

After 3 nights a week on a creeper, does it change into a sleeper? 

Yes, it's a sleeper!  You remind of my coworker.  He and his sons play with cars.  One son though puts girls first.  The cars-come-first son has more money in his wallet!   

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Pete M said:

still the best MJ sticker package  :D 

It looks so good, when I saw that photo the thought crossed my mind to put those on mine, but I wouldn't want to be a poser with my SporTruck.  Though the 10 hole wheels already have me posin' as an Eliminator.  :D  

Just now, 87MJJeep said:

It looks so good, when I saw that photo the thought crossed my mind to put those on mine, but I wouldn't want to be a poser with my SporTruck.  Though the 10 hole wheels already have me posin' as an Eliminator.  :D  

we aren't at Pebble beach.  spice it up the way you want. :L: 

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

we aren't at Pebble beach.  spice it up the way you want. :L: 

Noted!  I can't decide whether to put JEEP on my tailgate or leave it bare.  And if I add it, go with black or silver....  "Comanche Chief" will bring on more indecision!

On 6/10/2022 at 7:36 PM, jdog said:

pictures?

'73 Duster with '67 440HP 425+/- hp, 727 w/ B&M slap, B body 3:73 Sure-Grip, police dog dish rally wheels.

DSC00677.JPG.407c75e8cdb26483c1622d3f81229634.JPG

'51 Willys CJ-2A, trail cruiser that's 90% ready for weekend main street run.

46576325_50willyscj3a.jpg.d6c82b2bbfee04a7784a8290e7192cf5.jpg