89’ Pioneer MJ Barn Find

Well it looks like a harmonic balancer is next on deck 😢 Been getting a knocking noise under load around 2k RPMs. Been trying to track it down for a couple weeks. I guess this is the culprit 😂. It’s also squeaking a little 😅 

IMG_3154.jpeg

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that’s a wrap. Back to her old self. Quick tip for anyone trying to replace the crankcase seal, an old trick I learned long ago was how to use a open end wrench to pop out seals in tight places. A 14mm works great on the crankcase seal 😉 

IMG_3165.jpeg

What a week. First the truck decided to die going out my drive randomly. This allowed me to wave at every neighbor heading to work that morning while the hood was up. God knows what they think of me and my ole truck 😂. Next day I go to drive it and find a nice puddle of fuel spraying everywhere. The connector hose to the fuel filter cracked and out on quite a show under the truck. I got that buttoned up just in time to get a severely rough idle / no power or acceleration / REM loop fault lean code and many more. After cussing the truck out several times over and validating every sensor on the damn thing I found this. I didn’t start with the CPS because it fired right up flawlessly everytime. I guess it got good enough signal to crank but not good enough signal to sync the cylinders etc. 🤷‍♂️ I guess when I swapped the internal slave for an external slave I let the wiring slide off the clamp that holds it in place. Who knew the damn thing could crank so well but not idle for $#!& with a bad cps. IMG_3182.jpeg.273e327188ba5c320c04743390f7d5fa.jpegIMG_3183.jpeg.6854033c2f0db4b54563fabcc93857f1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 10:53 PM, Pete M said:

I'm a bit shocked that engine ran at all with that CPS wire.  :( 

Me too. That’s why I didn’t look there first. It fired up perfect everytime 🤦‍♂️ 

Well they came in. Undecided on what I’ll do with them. But here is what the oracle led taillights will look like on the truck. Part of me really likes them and the other half says keep it stock 😆 

IMG_3296.jpeg

IMG_3309.jpeg

IMG_3310.jpeg

IMG_3311.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

No updates here, to damn hot to be working on it haha.  I've been driving and enjoying it!  I am making a wiring harness for the Oracle LED Taillights but nothing to really show for it yet.  I have ordered the parts and when I find some time I will knock that out.  On a side note I have been working out the rear 4 link double triangulated suspension on the stretched JK I wheel.  This will take most of my time up to fall.  Hopefully it will go smoothly haha.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Pete M said:

I like it. :D  but it's a steering wheel, the important thing is how is feels... 

haha. Honestly 1000% times better than the OE non covered one. I wasn’t sure I would like it at all but the extra padding under the wrap is really nice. 

Finally have nice weather so I gave the ole girl a bath and cleaned the interior. There is just something about that dark blue interior that makes me smile. I guess it takes me back to my grandpas 83’ Datsun King Cab I used to ride in growing up in the 80’s 😂 

IMG_4006.jpeg

IMG_4007.jpeg

IMG_4008.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Finally found some time to tackle front brakes 😂. Long story short I was head to Lowe’s Hardware and half way there I felt a pop in the brake pedal.  After that a grinding noise commenced. So I pull into the parking lot and low and behold the front rotor was gouged out. At this point I’m at Lowe’s so I might as well get what I need and I only live 6 miles from there I just drove it back home. On the drive home I figured I might as well grab some fancy rotors since this thing is a street queen. Needless to say when I pulled the brakes apart it went about as well as you could hope for caliper that haven’t seen a wrench in 20 years. Slide pins stuck. One semi stripped out etc etc etc. I was planning to throw a new set of calipers in while I was at it but my wife had other plans so I’ll knock that out this winter 😢 All and all not a long process 1.5 hours to rotate tires and swap in the brakes and rotors. I just finished bedding her in and damn what a difference. From the pics it appears the friction material just sheared off the pad backer. I mean they were only 20 + years old. I should have gotten at least another 10k miles out of them 😂 

IMG_4183.jpeg

IMG_4185.jpeg

IMG_4481.jpeg

IMG_4482.jpeg

IMG_4483.jpeg

IMG_4478.jpeg

IMG_4479.jpeg

IMG_4480.jpeg

IMG_4486.jpeg

IMG_4487.jpeg

IMG_4488.jpeg

IMG_4492.jpeg

IMG_4493.jpeg

IMG_4494.jpeg

IMG_4495.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Been out just enjoying the Comanche for a while. I do have the power windows and wiring harness ready to go in the truck but like I said, I have just been driving her and enjoying the nostalgia. All that was going great until last Wednesday. I had something going on about a hour away and drove the truck. I get there and everything is fine. I head out about 10:30 PM and all is good. The ole girl is turning 75 mph down the highway at ease. I should have known it was going to well 😂. About 20 minutes from home I notice the REM voltage dropping. Great, I’ve been here before…. I keep trucking knowing I have enough juice to get home…. I hope. I limp her to the driveway and hear something that sounds like the flywheel bolts are all out and bouncing around in the bell housing. I turn it off and slowly fire it up again…. Same noise with a loud belt squeal….  Come out the next day and drop the belt to find the 89’ vintage alternator locked the F up 🤦‍♂️. If you can’t tell the support bearing decided to leave the chat 😂 

IMG_5566.jpeg

IMG_5564.jpeg

IMG_5575.jpeg

IMG_5586.jpeg

While I was disassembling the entire front end along with some very pesky skid plate bolts I finally found my coolant leak. So new radiator it is. I stayed with the closed system because I have had zero issues with it. While the fan clutch was off I figured why not swap that out since it’s probably a 1989 vintage as well.  I finally got everything out and noticed high pressure line and Power Steering Pump had seen better days too 🤦‍♂️ 

IMG_5564.jpeg

IMG_5565.jpeg

IMG_5567.jpeg

IMG_5569.jpeg

IMG_5588.jpeg

IMG_5589.jpeg

IMG_5587.jpeg

IMG_5592.jpeg