2 wd to 4 wd 4.0 AW4 conversion

***DISCLAIMER***

Before I get flamed for asking a question, I have done a general search of all sections and looked through all 19 pages of the DIY section and can't find what I'm looking for. Closest thing I could find was an '88 Eliminator 2.5 manual 4*4 conversion, but that just links back to the index page and does me no good. Maybe I'm using the wrong terms? If so I apologize, please point me to the right link.

***DISCLAIMER***

I have a '88 Eliminator 4.0 AW4 2wd (no lift or suspension mods).  I'm trying to convert it to 4 wd. I have a running '92 Cherokee 4.0 AW4 4 wd (242 transfer case, also no suspension mods). The plan is to take the AW4 and 242 out of the Cherokee and bolt it up to the 4.0 (RENIX) in the Comanche. Not interested in using the 4.0 HO engine, my 4.0 RENIX is running strong 😁 I already have a AW4 in the Comanche so it should be the correct crossmember. I understand it'll need a new longer speedo cable and I may have some problems with the 4*4 shifter (read Novak cable shifter has issues). The front drive shaft should be fine, but I'll need a new rear drive shaft. Is it really as simple as bolting up the new tranny and transfer case to my engine? 

The front axle should be a piece of cake. Looks like a straight one for one swap. Only issue may be the flex brake lines to the newer calipers. 

The whole thing looks pretty simple. Am I missing something? Trying to make sure I have all of the parts before tearing into anything. Nothing like running into a surprise on Sunday night when your truck is scattered in parts across the garage floor 😂

Rule #2: Absolutely NO apologizing for asking questions!!! That is what we're here for, answering each others questions. There's no need to feel bad because you are unsure of something or if you couldn't find what you were looking for using the "search" feature. We all start at the bottom of the knowledge ladder and there's only one way to climb up. I encourage you to ask whatever is on your mind.  The flip side of this coin is please do not yell at people to use the search.

@Pete M please move to the MJ Tech: Modification and Repairs section

1 hour ago, fiatslug87 said:

Rule #2: Absolutely NO apologizing for asking questions!!! That is what we're here for, answering each others questions. There's no need to feel bad because you are unsure of something or if you couldn't find what you were looking for using the "search" feature. We all start at the bottom of the knowledge ladder and there's only one way to climb up. I encourage you to ask whatever is on your mind.  The flip side of this coin is please do not yell at people to use the search.

@Pete M please move to the MJ Tech: Modification and Repairs section

Thank you. 😁

I've never done it but I've been researching a conversion from a manual to automatic (talk about getting flamed - will for sure if I do it).  There was a good thread about differences between years that might be useful. https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

I think they are saying a 92 will bolt in to the 88 as long as you also take the 92 transfer case, which you are.  

I did the swap with 93 XJ parts into an 89 MJ, but I took the time to swap the engine, harness, dash, etc for the full HO setup. Very glad I did. Little things like door locks having relays, basically everything being plug and play. 

One thing to keep in mind is that the 92 XJ drives the cluster electrically, no speedo cable. Not sure how/if they swap. 

According to this article, the TV cable is different as well. 

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

17 hours ago, oldmanche said:

I've never done it but I've been researching a conversion from a manual to automatic (talk about getting flamed - will for sure if I do it).  There was a good thread about differences between years that might be useful. https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

I think they are saying a 92 will bolt in to the 88 as long as you also take the 92 transfer case, which you are.  

That link is money. Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you. 

16 hours ago, scguy said:

I did the swap with 93 XJ parts into an 89 MJ, but I took the time to swap the engine, harness, dash, etc for the full HO setup. Very glad I did. Little things like door locks having relays, basically everything being plug and play. 

One thing to keep in mind is that the 92 XJ drives the cluster electrically, no speedo cable. Not sure how/if they swap. 

According to this article, the TV cable is different as well. 

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Didn't think about that. That's exactly the type of gotcha info I needed. I'd assume that I'd need the RENIX style TV cables. Should be easy enough to figure out when both tranny's are out next to each other. Looks like the NSS is the same for '88-'96 so I should be in luck. Will look at both plugs later tonight.

The AW4 and xfer case from your 92 should bolt and connect right up. You may even get lucky and the speedo cable won't need to be changed.  When I did it a few years ago, I was able to get the speedo cable to reach too, so you may get lucky there.  To go from an electrical to a cable driven speedo, its just the difference of a sensor being in the place where the cable goes.  Unplug and remove the sensor, and bolt up your speedo cable. 

Also, I suggest just going to an aftermarket linkage setup for the xfer case.  So many better designs exist now, and some under $100. 

The newer (97-01) XJ's are actually more complicated with connections.  I tried recently to put a 96 AW4 in a 99 XJ, and the connectors/cabling was different.