Project “Tomahawk”

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/21/2023 at 1:40 AM, ghetdjc320 said:

Getting close to picking up this project again. Planning to pull the engine again and adding notch flares and ares bedside armor. Anyone ever used the ares armor? Here is what I was looking at: http://aresfabrication.com/shop/mj-bed-armor/

I used this armor but got it with the tubing for the rub rail. Really heavy duty stuff. I love it but beware it is heavy. Also the nutserts you want to be careful they seat well so they don't just spin when you tighten the bolts to hold it on. Unfortunately that happened to a few but it still worked out well

19 hours ago, billyblankss said:

I used this armor but got it with the tubing for the rub rail. Really heavy duty stuff. I love it but beware it is heavy. Also the nutserts you want to be careful they seat well so they don't just spin when you tighten the bolts to hold it on. Unfortunately that happened to a few but it still worked out well

Good to know. I wasn’t planning to install it with the nutserts but was going to panel bond and weld it on. I do have the heavy duty nutsert tool though from doing corner armor on my YJ. Was going to see if I can order a set and forgo the “Ares” logo if possible.

• ghetdjc320 changed the title to Project “Tomahawk”
  • 3 weeks later...

Much appreciated :L:. I try to post a ton of pics of the smaller detail items as I’ve found it’s always the one thing I skipped or overlooked that comes back to bite. 

So for the next chapter of this build. I have about 11 weeks to get things as far along as I can this go around. I have a set of Revolution 4.56 gears and install kits waiting to go in. The “original” aspects of the build are becoming fewer and fewer. The nos turbines i ended up selling so I have a clean slate to move forward on. My previous choices on steering gear box, and fender flares may need to be reconsidered. I’m still on the fence regarding notch flares. If I go that route, 33-34’s are in the sights on this otherwise LCG build. I did decide on some wheels though which should help things a bit. After reading through @USN_JeepMJ’s build, I love those JL wheels and am ordering some up. Will use BORA wheel adapter that will give me the M14-1.5 stud for the wheels to use JL lug nuts as specified. I have to say, I really appreciate everyone posting the tidbits of details from there builds especially issues they’ve had as there are so many takeaways and lessons from those who have gone before.

So here are the Mopar accessory wheels for the JL/JT. 17x8.5 with a 71.5mm center bore. 5.22” backspacing. 
IMG_2633.jpeg.e1d84f00d60f54746dbb43b6d4297e0a.jpeg

With the BORA adapters, they are also custom made in the USA and are available in 1mm increments for thickness. The starting size is 19mm (3/4”). Going to do a lot of measuring to get the exact stance I’m looking for. 

Notch flares on the way. It’s officially an LCG build. Plan is 33’s or maybe 34’s on the 3” BDS lift. Time to measure every component to the T so it all fits as intended. 

I’ll post up pics on the notch flares install as well. There are very few pics of the install on the bed of an MJ. I will not separate the inner and outer wheel well housing though. That opens up a whole can of worms. I’ll trim it nice and tight but keep the integrity of that body seam. Front fenders I don’t really care about hacking up but I’m switching to the 97+ front clip :laugh:

Alao reached out to Corbeau and ordered some matching upholstery for my trailcat’s to do the door panels with. Have to think ahead about audio setup as well since they will be custom made. IMO, the best scenario is to build some kind of enclosure in the B pillars to accommodate a 6.5” sub (like the little JL W3). If I could manage to accomplish that, I’d run a nice morel or similar 3 way system up front with some 6.5’s or larger main woofer along with mids and highs properly positioned.  

Also need to measure for driveshafts and order that “Dirty Dingo” AC kit for the ls. I considered going with the new Holley mid-mount accessory drive but after seeing how @USN_JeepMJ and @Limeyjeeper managed to install their steering reservoirs and keep a stock style PS pump using a smaller intake tubing, I’d decided to go that route. Also considering the psc big bore box as I had one previously in my YJ and it’s a great box for filling the gap between a stock box and hydro assist. 

Mopar slotted wheels just arrived. These things are awesome. Also took a picture of the back side as I couldn’t find any pics of it online. For those who may be using adapters for these wheels, they should fit very well within the back of the flange

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

2 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Mopar slotted wheels just arrived. These things are awesome. Also took a picture of the back side as I couldn’t find any pics of it online. For those who may be using adapters for these wheels, they should fit very well within the back of the flange

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

Those are sweet, feel free to drop them by my house whenever you come and see my MJ projects lol. Also if you don't mind put those notch flares in my street MJ while your there 😜

1 hour ago, Comanche SS said:

Those are sweet, feel free to drop them by my house whenever you come and see my MJ projects lol. Also if you don't mind put those notch flares in my street MJ while your there 😜

I’m dreading how much work those flares are going to be to fit :holdwrench:

I'm thinking about maybe going with the Ares bed armor to get a better mounting surface and open up the wheel well to its full potential :dunno:

1 hour ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I’m dreading how much work those flares are going to be to fit :holdwrench:

I'm thinking about maybe going with the Ares bed armor to get a better mounting surface and open up the wheel well to its full potential :dunno:

I've run those flares on a past XJ build, nice when done, not nice before done lol.

I run ares fab armor on my XJ, too quality stuff, I used to have his bumper as well and he even customized it to not have the logo, and an additional front trailer hitch point. Would not hesitate to run more of his products 

20240115_094500.jpg

7 hours ago, Comanche SS said:

I've run those flares on a past XJ build, nice when done, not nice before done lol.

I run ares fab armor on my XJ, too quality stuff, I used to have his bumper as well and he even customized it to not have the logo, and an additional front trailer hitch point. Would not hesitate to run more of his products 

20240115_094500.jpg

Good to know, and I was wondering if he could build them without the logo. I’ll reach out to him today about that. Thanks :L:

Well, I’ve considered it thoroughly and my schedule is just not going to give me the time to finish this project. Regretfully, I’m considering passing the torch on to someone else who can finish it off. You guys have known me here for years so if someone in the club is interested just let me know. Headed back overseas in mid April. If you go through this thread you’ll see the level of work and quality of components that are on this thing. No expense was spared. 

5 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Well, I’ve considered it thoroughly and my schedule is just not going to give me the time to finish this project. Regretfully, I’m considering passing the torch on to someone else who can finish it off. You guys have known me here for years so if someone in the club is interested just let me know. Headed back overseas in mid April. If you go through this thread you’ll see the level of work and quality of components that are on this thing. No expense was spared. 

You can't quit now! BOOO!

9 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Well, I’ve considered it thoroughly and my schedule is just not going to give me the time to finish this project. 

That's a real bummer. You're attention to detail, and commitment to perfection have been inspiring. I know I'm not the only one who has followed your builds, drooling at home. I hope this one goes to a good owner, and continues to get the same level of dedication that you've put in.