Cooling system upgrades.

Joe and I have converted his '88, although I'm a fan (pardon the pun) of a well-executed closed loop system, this one just had a truly crappy tank. So we got a couple used but excellent condition radiators from the J/Y, and both have the bung for the older fan temp sensor, but after burping the system three times from cold to hot and back down, it works beautifully. I made a junkyard run in it with nearly 900 pounds of metals, and it never went over 220°, considering it was a hot Texas day, and I kept the trans in a lower gear, which kept the engine speed around 1800-2000 RPM.

16 minutes ago, silvertwinkiehobo said:

Joe and I have converted his '88, although I'm a fan (pardon the pun) of a well-executed closed loop system, this one just had a truly crappy tank. So we got a couple used but excellent condition radiators from the J/Y, and both have the bung for the older fan temp sensor, but after burping the system three times from cold to hot and back down, it works beautifully. I made a junkyard run in it with nearly 900 pounds of metals, and it never went over 220°, considering it was a hot Texas day, and I kept the trans in a lower gear, which kept the engine speed around 1800-2000 RPM.

Thank you. My plan is to covert to the open system and run a Mishimoto radiator. 

1 minute ago, silvertwinkiehobo said:

I honestly don't think you need a hifalutin', high-cost radiator, but I do think you need a clean and thick cross-section one. But, it is your truck.

I know I don’t need a hifalutin’, high-cost radiator, but I am done fighting the cooling system, so we are going with high quality, name brand parts. 

1 hour ago, watchamakalit said:

closed loop is sufficient if properly maintained.

This is my issue. I am fighting all of the lack of maintenance from, I would guess, since the truck was new. It was towed behind a motorhome, used as a wood truck, and then it sat for years. Had my truck been properly maintained, I doubt I would be having these issues. 

48 minutes ago, cruiser54 said:

The biggest problem with the closed system is the crappy expansion tanks we have these days. They're junk. 

I learned that one the hard way this spring. 

Aluminum recovery tank from Mac's Radiator Shop :beerbang: and a new radiator from NAPA. There is nothing like the good old Georgia summer heat. I replaced thermostats' and those mickey mouse plastic recovery tanks almost every summer until I finally replaced the tank and radiator that was years ago.:thumbsup:

JST001.webp

8 hours ago, silvertwinkiehobo said:

I honestly don't think you need a hifalutin', high-cost radiator, but I do think you need a clean and thick cross-section one. But, it is your truck.

Mishimoto is not a “high-end” radiator. It’s a solid unit built the way it should be and better than what you can get at the auto parts stores for sure. And the number one thing, it’s not some cheap multi core aluminum knock of radiator that isn’t worth the aluminum they used to build it. After you fight heating issues over and over and literally chase your own tail trying every “fix” and throwing a lot of money at the issue, a $400 radiator is nothing. I have personally discovered the hard way that most of cooling system “upgrades” are a gimmick. The Mishimoto is not. 

Next step above a mishimoto would be a Novak imho. ColdCase may merit a strong look as well. The old 3” core Griffith JeepSpeed radiator was probably the best core out there. I will say though, that mishimoto can handle quiet a beating. And the lifetime warranty is pretty sweet